I have MORE critters as of today...

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A family member is a cop and occassionally gets animals that are neglected or otherwise need homes. Seems she ran across 2 cockatiels, 3 zebra finches, 1 spice finch, and 2 really wierd looking tiny grey doves with red eyes. Guess who now has them.... ME! I just picked them up tonight, cages and all. I am ok with all of the birds except the doves... what are these things If I had a name I could research it and see how to care for them.

Small, grey, orange circle around the eye and a red eye. I'd upload a pic, but even on email quality my cam takes them 3 points over the allowed on this board. (and I dunno how to resize!)

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Diamond Dove. Do a google and you'll find a ton of info and pictures.

-Kelly

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
kellygirl said:
Diamond Dove. Do a google and you'll find a ton of info and pictures.

-Kelly
so your into birds too eh kelly? have you ever tested if the birdeater tarantulas live up to their names? lol...

i want a bird but it'd die on me.. i have so many cool stories about them.. my aunt had a bird that almost never had the cage door closed, it would roam around the house and wouldn't get away.. untill one day somebody accidently killed it, i don't remember how.. i think it had something to do with a door..

my family seem to have bad luck with animals.. i hear stories of people training their dogs to only pee in a certain spot, to rollover, etc.. as well as others who have their leopard gecko's sleep on their shoulders and stuff.. we've had 2 dogs and neither of them learned anything except to come to us when we called them.. we had a cockotail or whatever that would always bite us...lol.. my leopard gecko tries with all his power to escape on me when i hold it.. my snake and t's are the only ones that co-operate so far.. but it's really because they haven't got much choice.. i even have a frog that's always either squirting piss on me when i attempt to hold it and/or trying to bite my fingers! I SWEAR i will teach an animal something someday...

congrats melissa.. your lucky to have them, watch your fingers with the cockotails though! they make you bleed..

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
da_illest said:
so your into birds too eh kelly?
I'm into birds but I don't currently have one. I actually had to give up my dear little Nanday Conure, Oliver, awhile back because he was too loud for apartment life. That broke my heart.

My mom does have several birds right now though. She has a cockatiel that someone gave to her named Sammy; a yellow peach-faced lovebird named, you guessed it, Peaches; and a Senegal Parrot named Baby, who loves me the most!

I know a small amount about exotic birds and eventually I'd love to have a Macaw or a Cockatoo... but they are so freakin expensive! Cockatoos are so precious... there is a Citron at a nearby pet store who is my baby. Her name is Willie and she was given to the pet store because she was stressed and plucked half her feathers out. She's calmed down now but a lot of her feathers never grew back. She is absolutely a doll and so affectionate. She does this cute little head bobbing thing. :) The day she goes up for sale is the day I end up in debt... {D

-Kelly

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go for it Kellygirl....birds are awesome :) Sorry to hear about your Nanday Conure having to go though...that had to have been so tough.

Melissa, I'm sorry I can't help with the doves...but I'm sure you'll give them a great home and totally will enjoy their "cooing"... :) Cockatiels make GREAT pets. I had one, "Sparky", but unfortunately she died due to a head injury she suffered during an episode of night-thrashing. :( It was heart-breaking. Now I've got a Yellow-Nape Amazon & a Yellow-thigh Caique. Both awesome!

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
i even have a frog that's always either squirting piss on me when i attempt to hold it and/or trying to bite my fingers!
Alex, please don't handle your frog. It's not good for them at all. You can seriously damage their skin, and the oils and salts on your skin (as well as whatever else) can cause them harm. Frogs are "look but don't touch" animals.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I actually had to give up my dear little Nanday Conure, Oliver, awhile back because he was too loud for apartment life. That broke my heart.
OH Kelly I'm sorry you had to give Oliver up. I used to have a Nanday conure named Pacino (because of the black cap on his head). He was awesome, even if he did give me a headache every morning. I went on vacation for a week and left Pacino with my sister in law. I warned her about using non stick cookware and smoking, but there was one thing I had forgot to tell her about: self cleaning ovens. She decided to clean her oven and went out to do yardwork while it was cleaning. Pacino was dead two hours later when she finally came back in.

Someday I'm going to have another Nanday, but right now I'm in an apartment and I just can't.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Kelly the owner of the studio my buds and I play video games in owns a mature male nanday conure...OMG that thing is deafening (coming from a metalhead who's lost some hearing already) Absolutely all it does is screech for ten or 15 minutes at a time, regardless of if anyone's paying attention to it or not