I have a striped knee tarantula and I was wondering if someone could tell me if it’s going to shed in the near future

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
Your young and you probably didn't read the 'Terms of Service'. You can't call people names as that will get you suspended or banned.

Unlike social media sites this site is different. It's for the welfare of tarantulas not a chat room/forum to say anything.

Imagine this being a site for the welfare of...let's say dogs. If someone came out and posted photos of their dog tied on a 3 foot chain at the very back of their yard by the woods during a thunderstorm people are going to get fired up. Same thing here just a different animal.

You have to take criticism on husbandry. You also have to realize no one is calling you names or criticizing you on a personal level. It's for the welfare of the animal.
You do notice though how you approached me with good advice, instead viper just came hear and said nothing that helped out.

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
The mesh lid concern seems to be a mostly American concern, I see people England/EU use mesh lids all the time with no issues at all.

goonius

Arachnoknight
The mesh lid concern seems to be a mostly American concern, I see people England/EU use mesh lids all the time with no issues at all.
I do know that tarantulas can chew through a screen lid. It's also my understanding that their tarsal claws can get caught in the places where screen is interwoven. I'm a little confused as to why a solid metal mesh lid, like the one pictured, is being discouraged. Perhaps someone on here with more experience can offer a more detailed explanation, but I don't personally understand why this lid is an issue.

Really the only issue I see is the substrate, which the OP has acknowledged.

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
Your young and you probably didn't read the 'Terms of Service'. You can't call people names as that will get you suspended or banned.

Unlike social media sites this site is different. It's for the welfare of tarantulas not a chat room/forum to say anything.

Imagine this being a site for the welfare of...let's say dogs. If someone came out and posted photos of their dog tied on a 3 foot chain at the very back of their yard by the woods during a thunderstorm people are going to get fired up. Same thing here just a different animal.

You have to take criticism on husbandry. You also have to realize no one is calling you names or criticizing you on a personal level. It's for the welfare of the animal.
How is saying that my trantula is going to die in that death box any true advice?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
You do notice though how you approached me with good advice, instead viper just came hear and said nothing that helped out.
I understand how some people might get offended at the approach. Go back and read carefully on his replies. He never called you names nor did he attack you as a person.

He addressed your husbandry and the lack of real research. Please understand AB receives so many first time post that I lost count after a thousand or more on the same questions regarding enclosure setups, spiderlings burying themselves, won't eat, handling and many more. Sometimes alot in one day and too many per week for members to keep up with.

I'm guilty you're not the only one. When I first started I asked questions that were posted God knows how many times before so you're not alone.

Just take a deep breath and stay here. Do alot of research. You will find alot of information here or when you search online. Just make sure to click on arachnoboards link when it pops up from a search using something like google.

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
I understand how some people might get offended at the approach. Go back and read carefully on his replies. He never called you names nor did he attack you as a person.

He addressed your husbandry and the lack of real research. Please understand AB receives so many first time post that I lost count after a thousand or more on the same questions regarding enclosure setups, spiderlings burying themselves, won't eat, handling and many more. Sometimes alot in one day and too many per week for members to keep up with.

I'm guilty you're not the only one. When I first started I asked questions that were posted God knows how many times before so you're not alone.

Just take a deep breath and stay here. Do alot of research. You will find alot of information here or when you search online. Just make sure to click on arachnoboards link when it pops up from a search using something like google.
Alright, thank you for the advice

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Viper did have good advice. "Fix your substrate and do proper research before your animal dies due to subpar conditions".
I, for one, would much rather have someone tell me outright that the way I'm keeping my animal is a "death box" than wind up with it dead and coming to find out that it could have been prevented if I would have just properly educated myself. One of my very first posts here gave me the choice between reacting badly to Viper OR taking his words for what they actually were - passion and caring for the animal that I was not taking care of properly. I'm not going to claim that we're best friends or anything but I have come to have a lot of respect for the knowledge that he brings to the table - Especially considering that, compared to him, I am new to this game myself.

Nobody here worth talking to cares whether or not they hurt your feelings if it means that they are trying to do what's best for the animal. This isn't Facebook where you have to tiptoe around on eggshells to avoid offending the snowflakes. This is a forum full of people who care about the well-being of inverts since the vast majority of the world would probably be glad to see them dead.

Fix your substrate level. Period. You're asking for a ruptured abdomen and the only person you'll be able to blame for it is yourself. None of this "I never see it climb". Okay. I never see my Chilobrachys come out of its burrow - should I leave the enclosure lid wide open since I never see it? (Pro Tip: Don't ever leave the top off of an enclosure, especially not an Old World species. You're asking for a bad time if they wind up in a shoe.)

Stop watching YouTube for the most part. I wouldn't want someone caring for an ill family member if they learned everything they know about medicine from some YouTube channel. Tom Moran is the only person there worth watching for anything more than entertainment - and I say "entertainment" very lightly because watching anyone else is ultimately just a waste of time.

Don't get offended. Take the advice of people who know more than you and have been doing this far longer than you have. Tact is for pet rocks and houseplants. Passion and concern are for living, breathing animals that deserve the best possible care.

Quinnscorpionempress

Arachnopeon
Viper did have good advice. "Fix your substrate and do proper research before your animal dies due to subpar conditions".
I, for one, would much rather have someone tell me outright that the way I'm keeping my animal is a "death box" than wind up with it dead and coming to find out that it could have been prevented if I would have just properly educated myself. One of my very first posts here gave me the choice between reacting badly to Viper OR taking his words for what they actually were - passion and caring for the animal that I was not taking care of properly. I'm not going to claim that we're best friends or anything but I have come to have a lot of respect for the knowledge that he brings to the table - Especially considering that, compared to him, I am new to this game myself.

Nobody here worth talking to cares whether or not they hurt your feelings if it means that they are trying to do what's best for the animal. This isn't Facebook where you have to tiptoe around on eggshells to avoid offending the snowflakes. This is a forum full of people who care about the well-being of inverts since the vast majority of the world would probably be glad to see them dead.

Fix your substrate level. Period. You're asking for a ruptured abdomen and the only person you'll be able to blame for it is yourself. None of this "I never see it climb". Okay. I never see my Chilobrachys come out of its burrow - should I leave the enclosure lid wide open since I never see it? (Pro Tip: Don't ever leave the top off of an enclosure, especially not an Old World species. You're asking for a bad time if they wind up in a shoe.)

Stop watching YouTube for the most part. I wouldn't want someone caring for an ill family member if they learned everything they know about medicine from some YouTube channel. Tom Moran is the only person there worth watching for anything more than entertainment - and I say "entertainment" very lightly because watching anyone else is ultimately just a waste of time.

Don't get offended. Take the advice of people who know more than you and have been doing this far longer than you have. Tact is for pet rocks and houseplants. Passion and concern are for living, breathing animals that deserve the best possible care.
Alright thank you

I got the substate from the people I bought the trantula from, which was an exotic pet shop, not something like petsmart. What substrate should I get, or are you saying I should get more?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
BINGO! SPOT ON!
I know......😞

I looked to see what age he/she is and they are 15.

Doesn't excuse them name calling you but if I can reach them and direct their attention to AB and get them off of youtoob then it's worth the effort.

First time posters don't know you and the level of experience you have. Everyone's different with different personalities. Young people, like real young and minor young kind of all have the same defensive replies. Not all but most just like all my nieces. Only my nephew was more mature.

I'm just grateful my ex-wife is not out here and spotted me. Now that would be a show.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't want someone caring for an ill family member if they learned everything they know about medicine from some YouTube channel.
C'mon, I'm almost done learning cardio-thoracic surgery from the Heart Tube..you telling me I wasted my time..say it isn't so!! ;)

I know......😞

I looked to see what age he/she is and they are 15.

Doesn't excuse them name calling you but if I can reach them and direct their attention to AB and get them off of youtoob then it's worth the effort.

First time posters don't know you and the level of experience you have. Everyone's different with different personalities. Young people, like real young and minor young kind of all have the same defensive replies. Not all but most just like all my nieces. Only my nephew was more mature.

I'm just grateful my ex-wife is not out here and spotted me. Now that would be a show.

We have/had a member on here owned only OWs, very young age, I believe around 17. One of the most solid members here in terms of advice to the new peeps.

Not once did I see crap out of his/her mouth.

Direct all you want. I won't waste my time on such a person who treats me or others so poorly when provided honest and FREE advice. Speaks volumes about that person IME.

Indeed, NO EXCUSE, you are right.

It's not about experience. It's merely about following the TOS, and general civility. I'm civil to people on here who know MORE and LESS than me. Always have been, otherwise I'd be banned by now.

Also, we do have kids on here that are like 13 every so often. There's no reason for children learning gutter language on AB. No place for that.

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
There’s no preparation for a molt, simply because we’re not the ones molting and T’s have evolved over millions of years and know what to do. The less serious side of me would say pull up a lawn chair and pair of binoculars.

What you will want to do is learn about molting and signs of molting as well as all things husbandry/care related.

All T’s climb, so addressing the substrate to ceiling height and retrofit the screen lid with plexiglass with drilled holes for ventilation.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
The collective is full of poor husbandry practices. The OP of this photo apparently believes GBB are arboreal and credits this present level of husbandry to the collective videos on this species. When presented with info to correct the cage I was told by another member “my vibe is bad.” for offering advice..In the same paragraph accused of “about to attack people and they’re uncomfortable.” Utter nonsense. 43E89B42-C442-4513-A20A-78F598A3B476.png

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
The less serious side of me would say pull up a lawn chair and pair of binoculars.
the heck are you going to do with binoculars? Stare at your tarantula from across the yard through a window?

or does the tarantula need binoculars? I don’t think they make them with 8 lenses but I guess it’s possible.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
C'mon, I'm almost done learning cardio-thoracic surgery from the Heart Tube..you telling me I wasted my time..say it isn't so!! ;)

We have/had a member on here owned only OWs, very young age, I believe around 17. One of the most solid members here in terms of advice to the new peeps.

Not once did I see crap out of his/her mouth.

Direct all you want. I won't waste my time on such a person who treats me or others so poorly when provided honest and FREE advice. Speaks volumes about that person IME.

Indeed, NO EXCUSE, you are right.

It's not about experience. It's merely about following the TOS, and general civility. I'm civil to people on here who know MORE and LESS than me. Always have been, otherwise I'd be banned by now.

Also, we do have kids on here that are like 13 every so often. There's no reason for children learning gutter language on AB. No place for that.
I wasn't excusing that person. However it does seem they are gone now.

goonius

Arachnoknight
There’s no preparation for a molt, simply because we’re not the ones molting and T’s have evolved over millions of years and know what to do.

Actually, I’ll break the mold here and say that I do prepare for molts. When one of my tarantulas gets pretty plump, or gets the telltale dark spot on the abdomen, I decrease feedings. Some of mine will eat up until the day or so before molting, so I use extra caution and offer prey that can’t harm the spider. This means something pretty docile (and easy to remove) like a dubia or maybe a decapitated mealworm or superworm. Also, I’m even more aware of hydration, a detail which is mostly important for the arboreals who don’t come down to drink from their water bowls, and prefer to drink from walls or high up leaves. My experience has been that all my tarantulas drink deeply shortly before they molt. I’m fact, more often than not if they hit the water bowl pretty intensely, or seek out water drops on the wall, a molt follows shortly after. And, of course, I’m careful to check what the spider is up to before disturbing the enclosure — lest I accidentally disturb a molting spider.

As obvious as these things might be to seasoned keepers, I’ve only made note of them after keeping and observing a variety of species over the past couple of years.

While tarantulas absolutely know how to molt and don’t need any help, this only strictly applies to tarantulas in the wild with access to their natural habitat. As the supplier of sustenance and artificial ecosystem, you play a role in helping provide the circumstances for successful molting.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Actually, I’ll break the mold here and say that I do prepare for molts. When one of my tarantulas gets pretty plump, or gets the telltale dark spot on the abdomen, I decrease feedings. Some of mine will eat up until the day or so before molting, so I use extra caution and offer prey that can’t harm the spider. This means something pretty docile (and easy to remove) like a dubia or maybe a decapitated mealworm or superworm. Also, I’m even more aware of hydration, a detail which is mostly important for the arboreals who don’t come down to drink from their water bowls, and prefer to drink from walls or high up leaves. My experience has been that all my tarantulas drink deeply shortly before they molt. I’m fact, more often than not if they hit the water bowl pretty intensely, or seek out water drops on the wall, a molt follows shortly after. And, of course, I’m careful to check what the spider is up to before disturbing the enclosure — lest I accidentally disturb a molting spider.

As obvious as these things might be to seasoned keepers, I’ve only made note of them after keeping and observing a variety of species over the past couple of years.

While tarantulas absolutely know how to molt and don’t need any help, this only strictly applies to tarantulas in the wild with access to their natural habitat. As the supplier of sustenance and artificial ecosystem, you play a role in helping provide the circumstances for successful molting.
I have T’s that look to be in full premolt, for lack of a better description, I stopped feeding and 6 weeks later fed and they ate and still haven’t molted. That’s a wrong read on my part so now it’s strictly business as usual.

I don’t do anything different now. A lot of feeding I do is based on not having a schedule and the tarantula’s overall proportions. I don’t ‘hydrate’ any more or less then what I normally do.

the heck are you going to do with binoculars? Stare at your tarantula from across the yard through a window?

or does the tarantula need binoculars? I don’t think they make them with 8 lenses but I guess it’s possible.
Funny side story, I went to a play in SF years ago, Little Shop of Horrors, with binoculars and an usher came up to me saying I had a complaint I was peeping on a lady. So far from the truth 😂

I thought people brought binoculars to plays, long story short, I don’t always get it right…hopefully the last part was enough of a takeaway to keep me semi-on topic. LOL.