i hardly knew ye

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
i'm sad to announce that last night at 10 pm EST i discovered my 3/4" l. cristata frozen eternally in the "hairy fist-like" death throe that is associated with all dead tarantulas.

at first i experienced denial, cooing "wake up, buddy" while poking gently with my finger. then after i pushed the corpse back and forth around the 1-gallon pet pal i moved into the next phase of grief--which is, er, grief. i blamed myself for the death, and wondered what i did to make my well-fed and otherwise healthy l. cristata spiderling die. then i suspected a gas leak somewhere. after i checked all pilot lights from the oven, i thought about finding out who could do an autopsy--er, arachtopsy to find out why s/he has joined the big burrow in the sky.

my l. parahybana spiderling, which is housed right next to the former l. cristata's cage, seemed a little slow (of course, i could have been overreacting), so i transfered him to an intensive care unit thingie which consisted of a plastic container with lid and a moist paper towel which covered the bottom of the container. i placed the container next to my heat vent in order to make the tarantula as warm as possible. after a while, he seemed a little more alert.

my livingroom is usually around 72 degrees. could this have killed my poor spiderling?

please make me feel better. a few words about my fallen pet would be nice. here, i'll start:

oh, l. cristata, you were so little and cute, even if you were anti-social. i looked forward in anticipation for the time when you would reach your 8-inch length. now i shall reflect in quiet serenity on your brief life.

how i miss you dearly! oh, why did you have to go?!?

love, the giant blurry thing that you would run and hide from who threw you crickets,
me

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't think it was a heat issue.
I have over a hundred P. murinus slings and the temperature ranges from 68 to 75. All seem to be doing well, although I find with the winter weather that the vials dry out quicker. I have to mist them more frequent.
As for what could have caused it? I don't know. What seem like perfectly healthy slings die for no apparant reaseon. I had a small B. smithi do this. One day, running around like a crazy spider, next day, in the death curl. I suspect some slings aren't meant to make it, and nothing we do can change that.
Sorry.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
suuuure, rub it in that your slings are doing fine! ppbbsst! (forumspeak for me sticking out my tongue at you and making a "passing gas" noise)

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
l. cristata we will miss you ... :(

may you rest in peace

Ðennis

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
L cristata...you poor little thing, may you spin webbing eternally in the great sky burrow...
RIP
(how's that?!)

Cowshark

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh, L cristata ,
Short your life, yet long you live
in memoriam

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its probably a humidity issue. I have been having a HELL of a time this year with humidity.

My apartment has a humidity level of less than 10% so my spiders are really having to tough it out with the best I can do. I mist daily and try all my little tricks and it has worked with most of them.

I have 2 humidifiers running at all times and it just doesnt seem to help. I went away for a weekend and came home to 3 dead spiderlings that apparently dried out.

Its quite frustrating to say the least

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
little buddy

Sorry to see you go little buddy, dont know exaclty where you would go, but we all hope your happy there.

*Charlie's sad attempt at being mushy*

-Charlie

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Alas, The fanclub loses a member! I shall forever greive your loss, oh great unnammed L. cristata.

Bill

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
L. cristata

May the road rise to meet you

May the wind be always at your back

May the sun shine warm upon your face

May the rains fall soft upon your field

And until we meet again

May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Irish Blessing

Last edited:

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My deepest sympathies. There seems to be a terrible trend in the T-world of late...I'm getting a bit worried for my babies.

N.

"Oh no
P-p-please don't go...
...It's like a death....
...a death in the family..."

-Type O Negative

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

sorry for the loss...

"May the wind of heaven sweep over your grave, and send you up to t heaven" AMEN!

James

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
thank you all for your kind words and sympathy. you are all invited to my apartment for coffee, hot chocolate, and finger sandwiches at the reception.

and for those of you who cannot make it but would like to express your sympathy further, you may mail personal checks and money orders to the "l. cristata memorial fund" c/o me. (please round all change up to the nearest dollar. thanks!)

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I have to disagree that it would be a humidity issue. More likely a rampant case of SLIDS, which every one of us has experienced. You can bring spiderlings from the brink of a death curl to fat and active with a little bit of water, and i tend to notice that death-by-dehydration isnt so sudden. Sometimes they are simply weaker than their thousand or so brothers and have faith that it lived longer than it would have in the wild.

-V

devilman

Arachnopeon
sorry about your L. cristata. i too have known the loss of a loved one. i have recently lost a favorite emporer scorpion, Thor. as will the great and mighty Thor, i am sure L. cristata will be long remember, and reign supreme in their otherworldly realm.

mike

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
A heartfelt hope that you find ease
Amid your recent obsequies
For your lamented eight-legged friend
Who met a most untimely end :(

Joy