I got one of these things today.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I wasnt sure if i was sopposed to start this thread in the other arachnids or , in the insect forum, becuase i realy dont know much about it. It was labeled "balck devil spider, Galeodes sp."
Sorry for the bad pic, he wouldnt stop moving. I picked out the fatest one i could find. Meybe its got babies in there. I heard these dont do well in captivity, but it was only 15 bucks. Does anybody have this or a care sheet on it?

Attachments

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Cool. Let us know how it does - I'm holding off on stocking these because solifugidae normally do not do terribly well in captivity. But those fat black suckers look neat. :)

bill

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Normally, I wouldn't buy one, but I would also be sorely tempted by that one! I've never seen one that black before.

It's an arachnid (but not a spider), so you got it right. Solifugids are short-live animals, less than a year in most cases. The large ones are usually near the end of their lifespans. The common names include "windscorpion" "sunspider" and "camelspider".

Alex is the resident solifugid guy around here, but I haven't seen any posts from him lately, so I'll tell you what little I know. They are not venomous, but can give a nasty bit with their over-sized cheleceriae.

I am somewhat familliar with the husbandry practices of the more commonly imported yellow ones, but I've never seen anything quite like yours before. That standard advice may or may not apply, but here it is:

Normally, I would suggest a spacious set up with deep, sandy substrate kept dry, but with some underground moisture. They also seem to appreciate more heat than most captive inverts. I'd suggest some sort of lamp for a diural species, but since that one's black it may be nocturnal, so a red-tinted lamp might be better. Watch and see when it seems most active. I also wonder if it might be a forrest species and might appreciate more humdity. Most of the ones that come into the trade are from desert regions, but that one, who knows. Providing a "humidity gradiant" (moist in some areas, dry in others) will help you figure this out.

You will also want to include lots of surface cover, like cork bark sections, flower pot pieces, flat stones they can burrow under,etc. They have been known to "run themselves to death" in spartan set-ups.

They are voratious feeders and can be fed more often that tarantulas and scorpions. 3 times a week is probably about right. Insects, and possibly some small vertebrates.

They should be given a water dish with rocks in it (to prevent drowning). I usually moisten the area around the dish as well. I've also seen them drink water that was sprayed on surfaces in the cage.

Definately provide a deep substrate. They lay their eggs underground.

Anyway, good luck. Let us knowe how it goes.

Wade

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well Wade was right on with the captive care, well for the yellow ones anyway. I keep the yellow ones during the summer and find them to start dying off about September/October, and really they slow down big time toward the end of August. I havent seen any for sale yet this year, where by chance did you find that one? At any rate I think you will find them to be a very cool invert.

ant1gen

Arachnopeon
Several dealers were offering them at the reptile show here in Raleigh, NC last weekend.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I wish I still had this link to a fictional account with one of the Camelspiders I saw on the web last year for you to go and read. It was quite funny to those of us that know that it wouldn't really happen in real life, but I can see it starting a whole new wave of fear among those that haven't a clue about these things... Apparently, these things can kill adult camels on occassion, by entering into one and eating until they mature, if I'm remembering right... So be very careful with yours, we would really hate to hear that it has climbed up and into your ear one night as you slept. =D ;P =D

Be afraid, very very afraid..... muuaahhahahahaaaa!!!

Last edited:

ant1gen

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Mendi
Apparently, these things can kill adult camels on occassion, by entering into one and eating until they mature, if I'm remembering right... So be very careful with yours, we would really hate to hear that it has climbed up and into your ear one night as you slept.
A la "ST: The Wrath of Khan?"

I gotta get me some!