I got my new Pinktoe!

Damnathius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Today I picked up my new Pinktoe, after some fuss involving an uncooperative spider. The lady at the pet store tried to take one of those little round plastic containers to coax the spider out of it's display case. Well, it seems the spider was just a tad annoyed at being smooshed against the glass, and bolted up the lady's arm! She wasn't being threatening in the slightest, but just wanted to get away.

So the lady shakes her arm and the spider hops onto a lower cage lid. The capture attempt continued with the little plastic container, but "Pinky" wasn't having anything to do with that and hops to the floor, runs under the display stand, up the wall behind the displays and hides behind a poster taped to the wall.

So we end up moving a few cages, and the lady lifts the poster. I'm now armed with one of those rectangular pet containers with the vented plastic lids, which I place against the wall under the spider. Some GENTLE coaxing with my finger and the spider slowly moves into the container... Finally! At this point I closely inspected the spider for any injuries, and found no signs of any.

Now that she(?) is home, she seems VERY non-schitzo. I had to get her out of the container to get it ready for her occupancy, and once again she responded to gentle nudging slowly and predictably. I think when she's settled in she will make a nice "hold me" T. :)

Here's a pic. I measured her and the longest span of her legs in the pic is 3". She sure is a pretty little thing. :)

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice looking A. Avic.

I think you found out from how the pet store lady acted on how NOT to try and get a T to move. Most are like that, if you startle them, they will bolt.
Gently coaxing them to move is the way to go.

Good luck with your new Avic.

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi

Yeah It does kinda look like A.geroldi but I belive A. geroldi has no red heairs on abdomen. maybe it's the flash or maybe it's a juv. I dunno
well any ways have anice day
geo

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
looks just like my A. avic who is also about that size. :) aren't they just lovely? my favorite part either has to be their adorable little toes with the irridescence on the underside or their beautiful dark burgandy hairs on the abdomen...very striking.

mine is exceedingly mellow but will definitely dart when startled.

i love how when they walk they're always reaching for the sky. they almost look like they're pulling invisible threads and weaving something only they can see. ;)

Damnathius

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
After looking at some pics of A. geroldi, I would say mine is quite similar down to the purplish color of the abdomen, but the red hairs don't seem to fit the bill for geroldi. The pic I posted is slightly lightened, so I have replaced the image on my server with the original version, which seems to be a more accurate representation. I thought the original was too dark, and after editing the pic and posting made the discovery that my brightness was turned down.

ST, I think I'll be doing my own capturing from now on at that pet store. :)

Skadi, I haven't had a chance to see mine walk. I placed a sanded piece of 1"x4" in her cage angled from the bottom of one side, leaning halfway up the other side, which she seems to have taken up residence under on the side wall of the container. So far she has snagged two crickets from the ground below her but stays on the side of the cage. :)

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ya, I would stick to doing your own coaxing at the pet store too:)

My A. geroldi is around the same size, it has no reddish hairs on the abdomen and the leg hairs are all an electric blue color. It is really cool in the right light.

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW!!! Great T you have got there :) Good luck with it :D
I think I am gonna purchase myself one of the Avicularia species too, soon ... =D