I got a problem.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
So I've been feeding live mice to my BPs for a while now, with two of them its all they will accept. But now all of a sudden I feel really bad for these mice. What's going on? Why do I have this sudden extreme empathy?

basin79

ArachnoGod
So I've been feeding live mice to my BPs for a while now, with two of them its all they will accept. But now all of a sudden I feel really bad for these mice. What's going on? Why do I have this sudden extreme empathy?
Probably because they go through hell before they die.

I had a royal that would only take live. I weaned her on to FT. Live first. Then whilst she still in feeding mode after finishing the first give her a freshly killed one. She should eat that. If she doesn't just freeze it for another time.

Her next feed try her with a freshly killed and brained mouse. Over the next few weeks (or months with royals and their bloody fasts) you should be able to go to freshly killed and then FT.

If you know all of the above apologies. I wasn't trying to teach you how to suck eggs.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Probably because they go through hell before they die.

I had a royal that would only take live. I weaned her on to FT. Live first. Then whilst she still in feeding mode after finishing the first give her a freshly killed one. She should eat that. If she doesn't just freeze it for another time.

Her next feed try her with a freshly killed and brained mouse. Over the next few weeks (or months with royals and their bloody fasts) you should be able to go to freshly killed and then FT.

If you know all of the above apologies. I wasn't trying to teach you how to suck eggs.
Never actually tried FT with my eldest boy, the youngest has to take live sadly due to his very bad striking abilities (tried FT numerous times with him, he tries to eat it but just can't get it for some reason) might try that method with my eldest.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Never actually tried FT with my eldest boy, the youngest has to take live sadly due to his very bad striking abilities (tried FT numerous times with him, he tries to eat it but just can't get it for some reason) might try that method with my eldest.
What do you mean bad striking? If he can catch a live mouse surely he can grab an FT???

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
What do you mean bad striking? If he can catch a live mouse surely he can grab an FT???
Next time I get a FT I'll record a video. It's really odd, it's like his equilibrium is off. Out of 4 strikes, 3 will miss. What he does with live is just waits until they're practically on top of him and then grabs them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Have you tried warming an FT up for your youngest? Give his heat pits something to track?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Next time I get a FT I'll record a video. It's really odd, it's like his equilibrium is off. Out of 4 strikes, 3 will miss. What he does with live is just waits until they're practically on top of him and then grabs them.
See my above post.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Yeah, I'm not following that either. Surely F/T would be easier? It can't run away!

I've put all my snakes on F/T, even the ones that previously fed only on live mice. I've been lucky with that so far.

Here's some (probably obvious) questions for you:

How long have you waited in between feedings with the two that only want live? If you've waited a week, or even two, that may not be enough time.

Do you ensure the F/T mice are warm before offering them?

Have you tried rubbing the F/T mice on a live mouse prior to feeding, or rolling the F/T mouse in used mouse bedding? I know, that's super weird, but it's one of those things I've heard of trying.

Have you tried causing the F/T mice to bleed a little?

Do you do the zombie mouse dance with the feeding tongs? I have one BP that was previously on live (when I bought her), and is now on F/T, but I have to do the zombie mouse dance juuuuust right or she isn't interested. I can't dangle the mouse from above her, I have to hold the butt with my feedings tongs so that the mouse is horizontal and move it around the enclosure. Weird snek.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I'm not following that either. Surely F/T would be easier? It can't run away!

I've put all my snakes on F/T, even the ones that previously fed only on live mice. I've been lucky with that so far.

Here's some (probably obvious) questions for you:

How long have you waited in between feedings with the two that only want live? If you've waited a week, or even two, that may not be enough time.

Do you ensure the F/T mice are warm before offering them?

Have you tried rubbing the F/T mice on a live mouse prior to feeding, or rolling the F/T mouse in used mouse bedding? I know, that's super weird, but it's one of those things I've heard of trying.

Have you tried causing the F/T mice to bleed a little?

Do you do the zombie mouse dance with the feeding tongs? I have one BP that was previously on live (when I bought her), and is now on F/T, but I have to do the zombie mouse dance juuuuust right or she isn't interested. I can't dangle the mouse from above her, I have to hold the butt with my feedings tongs so that the mouse is horizontal and move it around the enclosure. Weird snek.
With regards to you and @basin79 I have tried everything aside from using a "rub" of sorts for the mice. My youngest knows the mouse is there and tracks it, it's just he for some reason can't hit it.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Does he have spider genes in him, by chance?

I would try a warm F/T mouse and have it scoot up to him and then onto his head, if that's how he's feeding. I assume you've left F/T in the enclosure overnight?

basin79

ArachnoGod
With regards to you and @basin79 I have tried everything aside from using a "rub" of sorts for the mice. My youngest knows the mouse is there and tracks it, it's just he for some reason can't hit it.
Again not wanting to sound like an arse but how warm do you go? Put the mouse in a bag and dip it's head in boiling water for 30 seconds. That should show up on his radar. I had to do that with my basin.

Otherwise what's stopping you literally holding the mouse right against the snakes mouth and gently pushing against it?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Again not wanting to sound like an arse but how warm do you go? Put the mouse in a bag and dip it's head in boiling water for 30 seconds. That should show up on his radar. I had to do that with my basin.

Otherwise what's stopping you literally holding the mouse right against the snakes mouth and gently pushing against it?
I haven't tried pushing the mouse against the snakes mouth, and you're not sounding like an arse at all. I usually let them sit in boiling water for 30 -45 seconds then stab the brain case and the stomach to let a little blood flow and such.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I haven't tried pushing the mouse against the snakes mouth, and you're not sounding like an arse at all. I usually let them sit in boiling water for 30 -45 seconds then stab the brain case and the stomach to let a little blood flow and such.
Give gently pushing the mouse against him a go then.

I honestly can't see it being any problem for you to get them both onto FT. Or freshly killed if you breed your own food. Although I'd still give them FT. If you ever have to give them up for any reason it makes them more attractive taking FT. Well it would here in England.

Good luck.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Missed strikes. You are keeping in mind snakes use infra-red (heat) sensors more than eyesight to locate prey, yes? Also, their tongues are a broad spectrum sensor array we still don't fully understand.

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Missed strikes. You are keeping in mind snakes use infra-red (heat) sensors more than eyesight to locate prey, yes? Also, their tongues are a broad spectrum sensor array we still don't fully understand.
Yes I'm aware of this.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer