I got a new feline!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So i was outside my apartment and this cat just runs up to me, so i of course decided to take her in. So tonight is the first night in my apartment with her, im not even sure if im allowed to have a cat... so hopefully she dont get me evicted! But anyways... i cant think of a name for her, im just clueless of good female cat names. Also i have no idea how to take care of her, i bought her a litter box (hopefully shes trained...) some purina cat chow, and some catnip. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated! I will post a pic of her as soon as i can she is very pretty and friendly :)

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Honestly, taking in an animal you dont know how to care for isnt very responsible. 2nd, if your not allowed pets, you and the cat may get evicted, or just the cat....you may not even be able to keep her. If you think you wont be able to keep her start trying to find someone who would adopt her, mabye you know a friend looking for a cat. She may even be someones lost pet....

I understand you feel bad, and if you are going to keep her (and are allowed to) you definetly need to go out and go shopping and go to a vet. You have the basics, but you need more. I'll help though I own 2 cats and help rescue stray cats if i'm able to so i'm always researching. ;)

1. Look around your area for any lost cat signs, if she is friendly she is or once was cared for by people. If you dont see any posters within the next week she probably was abandoned or was a stray someone else fed and then wasnt able to afford any more food.

2. (supplies if your going to keep her)

1. small cat scratcher (they need this to remove old nail casings)
2. bowl of clean water (change once a day, must have water at all times)
3. If she is skinny, fill her food dish with dry food and re-fill if she eats it all, give her one can of canned food a day (good brands like friskies,9 lives, fancy feast)
4. a toy mouse or two, make sure their not small enough for her to swallow.
5. a cat brush, shorthair cats should be brushed every 2 days. Longhair about every other day.
6. (optional) if you dont have many places for her to sleep, you can buy a cat bed for her.
7. cat litter

3. IMPORTANT things that MUST be done for her well being.

1. Needs to see a Vet ASAP!
2. Needs to be spayed (fixed) so she doesnt get pregnant, also decreases chances of ovarian cancer. (it is better if a vet holds her for 2 days after surgery to watch for infection or any side effects from going under anesthesia, I did this for my cat and she was fine and after 2 days i picked her up and brought her home)
3. Needs a health exam at a vet. (bloodtest to test for aids,leukemia,etc..,vaccinations against aids,leukemia,rabies) fecal sample to make sure she doesnt have worms or parasites, an ear cleaning.
4. if she is dirty or has fleas a vet can bathe her if your unable to.

Thats about all the necessary things for now, you can also add playing with her alot, that is the fun part! If you have any questions please PM me.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I probably should of phrased it different when i said i didnt know how to take care of cats, i do cause ive grown up with them all my life. However, ive never had one to take care of on my own, like what i meant is i dont know some of the stuff (like that they need a scratching pole to get rid of old nails?) but hopefully i will be able to figure out all that stuff it shouldnt be too hard to learn. Also, my neighbor in my apartment complex has 2 cats... so if she can have cats i dont see why i cant?

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had at least one cat in my life since my Momma was rolled up to the hospital doors to drop me out... there was a stray kitten waiting just outside there and he was whisked away until my Mom was finished delivering me. Sylvester died my senior year of high school.

Anyhow, Shamm.. you have the basics down already..... food, clean water, a potty and some good "drugs" :rolleyes: The cat should see a vet as soon as you're able, for a well check, etc. and you'll want to get some kind of Frontline or Advantage flea/tick meds for both your sakes. ;)

You can give her a cardboard box and she will be in "kitty heaven"... she can hide in it, sleep in it, grab your toes from inside it :D and destroy it with her own "toes" *read claws* If you just want to go nuts, you can buy her all kinds of toys and frilly silly things at your local pet store... or you can offer the box, a shoe string, a woofle (spelling?) ball or three, a dowel stick from the hardware store with some craft store feathers attached by string and so and so on.

My Aneesa... the Diva... has a box so full of store bought toys, it would make ten small children jealous.... and she loves all the homemade things so much better.

Your new pal needs the 'basics' and lots of LOVE!! She's gonna return it ten times over... you'll see.

Congratulations to both of you! :)

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I probably should of phrased it different when i said i didnt know how to take care of cats, i do cause ive grown up with them all my life.

Oh ok, just make sure you get her to a vet soon for an exam,vaccinations, and to be fixed, those are very important to do.