I got a Cyriopagopus paganus for Xmas

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can somebody tell me all about this spider? I wanna know stuff such as ideal housing, growth rate etc.

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cool man... i'm not an expert but here's my info keeping my paganus... mine is in a 6 inches plastic cup with 4 inches of soil. I also placed a plastic plant in there.. I keep mine moist... for temp.. 75-80... mine is about 1.5 inches...

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THis one is four inches so I think I will need lots of space for it.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My roommate got it for 40 dollars Canadian at a pet store locally in beautiful condition.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am actually beginning to think that this is actually a Haplopelma Minax

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just based on all the photography I have seen of both longipendum and minax led me to my conclusion. Mine looks far more like the minax. It was sold as a Vietnamese earth tiger.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Then why are you saying you got a Cyriopagopus paganus for Christmas?
H. minax and the pet-trade Cryiopagopus paganus are seperate species that look nothing like one another.

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Martin-

Have you tried breeding your pair of those "whatever they ares"?

I have a mature pair. The male is living in an enclosure within the female's large enclosure. I'm waiting on her to fatten up a bit and to see a sperm web out of the male (they've only been together 2 days so far).

Any notes on breeding you'd like to pass along?

Also, what makes people (Volker and others, I presume) that these are not Cyriopagopus paganus? Locality of collection? Breeding experiments?

Thanks for the pics by the way, Martin- they're exactly what I have as far as appearance. One day I'd certainly love to know exactly what they are hehe.

-Garrick

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
Then why are you saying you got a Cyriopagopus paganus for Christmas?
H. minax and the pet-trade Cryiopagopus paganus are seperate species that look nothing like one another.
BEcause before I had it I was notified that I was getting a Vietnamese Tiger tarantula. When I looked up care sheets it was known as C paganus according to teh websites I saw. THen when I got it I realized it wasnt one of those at all.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Hello Garrick,

Originally posted by Garrick

Have you tried breeding your pair of those "whatever they ares"?
I think this should answer your question: =;-)

I have a mature pair. The male is living in an enclosure within the female's large enclosure. I'm waiting on her to fatten up a bit and to see a sperm web out of the male (they've only been together 2 days so far).

Any notes on breeding you'd like to pass along?
Just throw them together, Haplopelma spp. are easy to mate. Often the female is almost the more active part and forcing the male to mate! =;-) After the male is introduced in the tank of the female, he will tremor with it's body and walk to the entrance. Normally this is enough for the female to come out it's burrow and they will just do a quicky! =;-) If she won't come out, he will enter hers burrow and try to drag her out. Mating will take place in front of the entrance of the burrow, sometimes the female is still half in the burrow half out.

BTW, after a succesful mating the female will 'collapses' or seems 'paralysed' for a time then starts to clean herself vigorously. This usually gives the male plenty of time to escape her. ;-) The behaviour of the female after the mating is also called "Übersprungshandlung" – sorry don't know the English word for this. It's typical for specimens of the genus Haplopelma.

Also, what makes people (Volker and others, I presume) that these are not Cyriopagopus paganus? Locality of collection? Breeding experiments?
Ok, heres is only a short answer, because I think most people here on the board would be bored by the long answer with the listing of all taxonomic characteristics and even don't understand it (since several even seems not to understand the differences between using Haplopelma aureopilosum and Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" I have tried to explain several times in the past.) =:-(

Ok, the C. paganus in the pet trade has all taxonomic characteristics of a typical Haplopelma species. But there is one big problem: The holotype of the real C. paganus, which should be located in Paris, seems to be lost – nobody can find it there in the moment. => The specimens in the pet trade can't be compared with the holotype of C. paganus => so, at the moment nobody can do a 100% ID of a C. paganus. The only thing which can be said is, that the ones of the pet trade have all characteristics of a Haplopelma species. BTW, it's VERY similar to Haplopelma lividum, just the color is different.

There is only one "problem": C. paganus is the type specimen of the genus Cyriopagopus Simon, 1887. If the holotype will turn up again in the future and will be similar to that what is knowen as Haploplma spp. at the moment, we will have a lot of name changings! =;-)

BTW, why not turn this question arround:
Also, what makes people (Volker and others, I presume) that these are not Cyriopagopus paganus?
What makes all the dealers think that this is the C. paganus sensu Simon, 1887?? Who has IDed them as C. paganus and what is the explanatory statement for this output?

all the best,
Martin

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OK, I get it.
Let's see a pic. There are many here that could positively ID it, or give a good idea of what it may be. Remember, coloration is not a good characteristic to go by when ID'ing a tarantula.
john

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, Martin!

I like your explanation of "what makes the dealers think they ARE"? Man, some things are getting on planes lately and coming to the US
under ALL kinds of names. . . . It's too bad that many type specimens in Europe sent by Pocock and others are who knows where after WWII.

Perhaps I'll see the Übersprungshandlung with mine and I'll let you know what it is in English haha. I've never bred Asians before and I've got these things and a pair of H. lividum going to mate this month. . . .

-Garrick

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Garrick

Perhaps I'll see the Übersprungshandlung with mine and I'll let you know what it is in English haha.
I think I have found the translation: displacement activity

all the best,
Martin