I got a 55 gallon terrarium....What to get?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey gang, I got a spare 55 gallon terrarium (not fit for alot of water), and was curious what I should get. I've never kept snakes, and I don't know if they'd keep me enthralled for too long, but I'm willing to try if anyone can recommend a rad species. I was looking at dwarf monitors as well, I'm just not sure.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

ArachnO

Arachnopeon
My Suggestion

I used to be a fond of water monitors, seeing as how they're very docile and some will even let you pet him or her (even lift them up). But I wouldn't suggest putting them in the tank, and if you're trying to get something real cheap get a crested gecko, or beared dragons. If you ever get like a bigger gallon tank and really want an exotic pet, try an austrilian or new guinea frilled dragons. Very DOCILE, and can be tamed easily, though quite a big expensive, it's worth a try if you're not interested in snakes.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like 'em mean ;)

I'm not a big fan of beardies, and a crested gecko seems to be a waste of a 55. I don't know, I might just split the tank into 3 parts and have a few smaller tanks for my frogs and what not.
Thanks for the input guys!

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Blue Tongue Skink!!

You may have to adjust your 55g cuz they like wide space, too.. and they prefer that you approach at eye level and not from above...

...but now is the time, guy.. err, gal? I dunno.. anyhow

It's Bluey SEASON right now and there are a couple of reputable breeders with available babies now... different subspecies, even.

Check out: www.bluetongueskinks.net Lots of pics, info, very elaborate care sheet and diet sheet, etc.

...my $.02 worth :D

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, those are neat. Bad news, my 55 has a crack in it :mad:
I just noticed it today...ugh

To hell with it, I'm just gonna build a big enclosure and get another Nile Monitor.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A 55 huh, they always seam tricky to fill. Thats cause the've got alot of space yet are only a foot deep. Which means you can't stick one big thing in there like an oscar or a basilisk. I think your best bet would be to have a multi-species vivaria. That way you can have a number of smaller sized critters coexisting in a large space, making there home look even more natural. The main choice would be to eithor just throw what ever you like together or pick a local as inspiration, such as the amazon. In my opinion, its better to do the latter, whats the point of creating a natrual vivariaum with multiple species if the species aren't found in the same ecosystem? The only limits to such a vivaria is your budget and imagination ~ Rex

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Which side is cracked? Just out of curiousity... it's very easy to slip one side out with a little box cutter type deal (Stanley brand comes to mind) and right through the silicone like hot butter... ZIP!! Then you can position the tank strategically and make sliding doors out of the slipped piece... and add a screen or peg board to the other open side for ventilation. (You may have to cut it where it's cracked or get creative, even frame the glass in some type of wood, but it would be worth the price you will pay for all the materials to build one from scratch... in my eyes anyhow... but I'm the DIY Queen around here :razz: )

I don't advise multi species tanks unless you have done extensive research and know positively that the group you choose will not devour each other... what's the point of spending money on critters that will only die or be murdered by one another? :embarrassed:

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The front side is cracked. I'm just going to replace the glass or place wood over it and keep my soon to come Nile Monitor baby in it for a few months until the outdoor enclosure is done. He will be the only species in the 55.