I finally did it!

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi guys,

After reading some things about orange bitey things being so darn aggresive, and couldn't really be handled, I wanted to prove the contrary. I opened the cage, and this is how he reacted:

But when I got him out of his cage, and let him walk on my hand, he was happy again.

I also had another spider that is known for his 'aggresivity'... Psalmopoeus cambridgei. This one was darn fast, and freaked out quite some times.

Behold its true beauty ....

Oh, I shouldn't be forgetting this:
Every individual of a certain species can, and most likely will react different to handling. Therefore I do not reccomend handling this species, unless you really know your spider, or you are a total nut, like me...

Dennis

Last edited:

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Really nice pics. Must have been a good experience... :)

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Pyrdacor
Really nice pics. Must have been a good experience... :)
Yeah, sure was! I kinda have the feeling I can take on every T now ... And I'm also getting the feeling I'm a bit hot brained :).

Dennis

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Those are great! I've actually been tossing around the idea of trying this myelf...
(My wife is currently collecting ER money in a jar next to her setup)
:rolleyes:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Inktomi
Those are great! I've actually been tossing around the idea of trying this myelf...
(My wife is currently collecting ER money in a jar next to her setup)
:rolleyes:
LMAO!
I held our orange bitey thing once.
I was an idiot for doing it.
And Lucky.
She Is THE definition of orange bitey insanity.
Truely and totaly agressive and Does Not chill out and enjoy after being disturbed.
She's a Monster. LOL.
Lovely pics Dennie and congrates!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
Yeah, sure was! I kinda have the feeling I can take on every T now ... And I'm also getting the feeling I'm a bit hot brained :).

Dennis
I have the same problem. Once you do a few, you're doing them all. I've handled all my nasties now, and I think that like you said, alot of it is individual T. I think also, that proper handling will rarely get you nailed. I've been lucky thus far.

Bill

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:eek: NO WAY!:eek:
My O.B.T. is the same as Nixy's... mean, orange, biting machine. And faster than my 350 Chevy!

I HAVE handled my lividium, but only accidentally... she ran up my arm and on to my head so fast I couln't react! I didn't have the TIME to enjoy the moment!:(

So you guys just keep posting the awesome pictures and I will "handle vicariously through you!"

P.S. Does any species have prettier feet than O.B.T.s? They are incredible!!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I posted a similiar pic a couple weeks ago when I handled Vayu
Son's immature male. My theory has been, that the defensive species are MUCH more defensive in THEIR territory. That being said, they can and will bite out of their containers, but it seems they might be less likely to.
The male calmed down once out as well, and sat nicely for photos.
Believe it or not....most of my Aphonopelma spp are VERY defensive about their burrows, and I'm almost more afraid of being bitten by one of them LOL
THey are very quick to threaten and extend those fangs.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

Originally posted by conipto
I have the same problem. Once you do a few, you're doing them all. I've handled all my nasties now, and I think that like you said, alot of it is individual T. I think also, that proper handling will rarely get you nailed. I've been lucky thus far.

Bill

bill , have you handled your H. gigas? that would be nerve wracking, i had a little 3" one that was nuts...--Jeff