Is this a GBB sling?

• Probably yup.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Probably nope.

Votes: 52 98.1%

• Total voters

Pipa

Arachnoknight
if it's an LP .. just keep her for six months , it'll be 8 inches by then. ( joke, sorta ) If its a she, she'll probably sell for $100+

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I spend way more time on AB than on FB anyway so for me AB IS my FB.
You made the right choice, the forum is where the adults go to learn and share with the Arachnid community. The maturity and respect between users is quite high on here. Good solid Information on here is just a search function away. Although questions by newbs are frequently repeated here, there is a lot less of the redundant threads once a new user befriends the search function. Most of the questions asked on here have been posted and answered multiple times.

The gap between knowledge and experience of FB AB users is a mile wide. Many new species and hints of revisions are slipped into posts, so FB is the best place for new information and current/updated arachnid news.
FB AB group has some of the most knowledgeable and experienced people in the hobby, along with a lot of previous and future revision authors and die-hard big name breeders that have been breeding and introducing new species to the hobby for years. I'm sure at one point they all frequented this forum but FB was just more accessible or convenient to them so the rarely log on here anymore.
On the flip side you have the rule breaking, inexperienced know it all's that are constantly corrected by the much wiser members previously mentioned. The straight forward "elitists" informing the easily offended new comers has lead to some very entertaining threads. Many FB group users act like children at times and has resulted in new rules implemented just so the moderators don't have to quit their day job for the abundant comment policing they have to do. It seems most AB mods barely supervise here compared to FB cuz their so busy deleting all the posts that have broken the rules. Mad props to the Mods on AB!! They got a lot of unnecessary, repetitive, rule breaking posts to seek out and delete. They do it all for free so if you have been on Facebook before, you should know it's a full time job deleting swear/curse words in posts or comments, handling pics which are banned and often disputed by the rule ignorant poster, no live feeding vertebrates without disclaimer and link to video in comments, no personal attacks, English only and no soliciting sales. All that with thousands of users and tons of new users joining everyday has truly gobbled up the free moments of the Mods day. So here's to you staff! We Thank You.

Heyy i knew that there`s a FB group already, amazing i know haha :rolleyes: :troll: thinking of the fact that i dont even own an FB account. :D

Hehe joke aside. :kiss:
Smart girl! If the arachnid groups weren't so informative, providing current news and insight to new revisions and, my favorite, all the newly discovered species pictured which seems to never end, I would have never have signed up.

Last edited:

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
You made the right choice, the forum is where the adults go to learn and share with the Arachnid community. The maturity and respect between users is quite high on here. Good solid Information on here is just a search function away. Although questions by newbs are frequently repeated here, there is a lot less of the redundant threads once a new user befriends the search function. Most of the questions asked on here have been posted and answered multiple times.

The gap between knowledge and experience of FB AB users is a mile wide. Many new species and hints of revisions are slipped into posts, so FB is the best place for new information and current/updated arachnid news.
FB AB group has some of the most knowledgeable and experienced people in the hobby, along with a lot of previous and future revision authors and die-hard big name breeders that have been breeding and introducing new species to the hobby for years. I'm sure at one point they all frequented this forum but FB was just more accessible or convenient to them so the rarely log on here anymore.
On the flip side you have the rule breaking, inexperienced know it all's that are constantly corrected by the much wiser members previously mentioned. The straight forward "elitists" informing the easily offended new comers has lead to some very entertaining threads. Many FB group users act like children at times and has resulted in new rules implemented just so the moderators don't have to quit their day job for the abundant comment policing they have to do. It seems most AB mods barely supervise here compared to FB cuz their so busy deleting all the posts that have broken the rules. Mad props to the Mods on AB!! They got a lot of unnecessary, repetitive, rule breaking posts to seek out and delete. They do it all for free so if you have been on Facebook before, you should know it's a full time job deleting swear/curse words in posts or comments, handling pics which are banned and often disputed by the rule ignorant poster, no live feeding vertebrates without disclaimer and link to video in comments, no personal attacks, English only and no soliciting sales. All that with thousands of users and tons of new users joining everyday has truly gobbled up the free moments of the Mods day. So here's to you staff! We Thank You.

Smart girl! If the arachnid groups weren't so informative, providing current news and insight to new revisions and, my favorite, all the newly discovered species pictured which seems to never end, I would have never have signed up.
i honestly go on facebook ab group only for pictures. it is extremely hard and unrewarding to give any advice there because it is full of newbs and think-know-it-alls. A week ago for example, guy put his parahybana to be sexed, a DORSAL pic of 7-8" specimen i assume from the size, and hinting he want to breed it. I of course advised against breeding if they don't know the basics of even how do you sex T, and that its impossible to sex it dorsally. A few comments after mine, 2 people both commented it's female. I just don't have will to argue there anymore because it'll get buried down in 20 mins time anyways.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I like it here. No need to go to fb. Groups focussing on exotic animals are more drama then fun/informative. Although I must say the Dutch fb group for tarantula is one I like to go to. But that group is heavily moderated so people who break the rules or argue about rules get kicked out very fast. It also helps that it is a closed community, so every new member gets screened first.

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
There must be a rash of this sortt of thing going around. I'm a bit suspicious about the G. pulchra tsling I just bought. It has roughly the right colouration, but I'm still concerned...any opinions? I paid out $250 for the little guy and I hope I got what I paid

Where do you live?
There must be a rash of this sortt of thing going around. I'm a bit suspicious about the G. pulchra tsling I just bought. It has roughly the right colouration, but I'm still concerned...any opinions? I paid out $250 for the little guy and I hope I got what I paid for!

View attachment 224701
Where do you live? You paid $250 for a SLING!!! I'm getting a female 3" G. pulchra for that price...Hmm something isn't right there!!

LindseyG

Arachnopeon
Well heard back from the breeder. They are going to swap it out for me. That will be this Wednesday, so this time I'm checking it first lol.

Edit: The level of sarcasm in this forum goes over my head sometimes.

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Well that's being a responsible breeder..congrats for making your voice heard!
Like anything you have to be careful with these breeders and vendors taking advantage of you, especially when they know you are a newbie in the hobby! I've had my own bad experience but you learn from it and move on.
I hope it's the real GBB this time...awesome spiders, you'll love them!

LindseyG

Arachnopeon
Sending the sling back in the vial it came in. Any reason I can't put the new T in the same setup I had this one in the past couple days?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
I agree!
One of my N. incei gold is acting weird too... He looks to be tad bigger than the others
there must be a full moon. my P metallica used to be so energetic, no shes always just lounging around? Is this normal? (ps. i thought pokies didnt have urticating hair?!?!?!?!?!?!?)

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Sending the sling back in the vial it came in. Any reason I can't put the new T in the same setup I had this one in the past couple days?
which dealer was it, IMO there is NO WAY any breeder "accidentally" mistook one of their LP (or otherwise) slings for a GBB.
Most likely, the way i see it, (and what i see a lot of dealers doing when dealing with small slings) they just sent whatever they had that was cheap and they had a surplus of because "they will never now the difference, all tarantulas look the same as slings"

LindseyG

Arachnopeon
I don't have a name.

I've always ordered my tarantulas through a local pet store. They give me a steal of a price, and this is the fist time I've been burned.

So far I've gotten 5 different slings from them that all ended up being what I ordered.

Once I offered photographic evidence that I did not receive what I ordered, I guess they were very willing to correct this. I will update on Wednesday.

Maybe I'm just quick to forgive, but I would like to believe this wasn't purposefully deceitful.

LindseyG

Arachnopeon
Do you think it would be fine if I put the new sling in the container I had the old one in?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Do you think it would be fine if I put the new sling in the container I had the old one in?
should be no issue, GBB's are kept identical to the overwhelming majority of NW terrestrials. since it was occupied for such a short period of time i see no issue in reusing the enclosure as is.
good luck on the replacement! GBB's are probably top 5 favorite NW t's

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Personally, I would give a GBB a little more space since they grow so fast. More floorspace and add a fake leaf for hiding or webbing anchor.
I'd also give it eco earth/coco peat as substrate instead of what looks to be vermiculite? Gbb likes it more dry, even as slings. I'm hoping it was an honest mistake, but it takes quite some ignorance from a breeder to mistake a Lp sling for a GBB sling.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
which dealer was it, IMO there is NO WAY any breeder "accidentally" mistook one of their LP (or otherwise) slings for a GBB.
Most likely, the way i see it, (and what i see a lot of dealers doing when dealing with small slings) they just sent whatever they had that was cheap and they had a surplus of because "they will never now the difference, all tarantulas look the same as slings"
I agree with this 100%. If it was pretty much any other NW terrestrial, I would give them the benefit of the doubt. But GBB's start showing colors after just the first couple of instars. So, either the seller was being purposefully deceitful, or the seller doesn't take the time to properly handle these creatures. Either way, I wouldn't be going back to them. Just because they admitted their "mistake" and are fixing it doesn't mean they are good people. It means they know they got caught.