i can understand why buying from the pet store is a bad idea

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 16, 2003
Messages
1,022
they were selling a solid black "cobalt blue" and none of their t's looked like they were being taken care of very well....they did have a real nice looking red knee but they wanted $125 and i can't justify spending that much money on a t, especially at a crappy pet store
 

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
May 2, 2003
Messages
177
I know what you mean. At a pet store near me they had a nice (if small) Red knee on sale for £71. I got one from a T show for £10 and it is much bigger. To top the bargain off, I think it's a female:p

I buy livefood from my local petstore, but that's it.
 

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
482
Originally posted by xBurntBytheSunx
they were selling a solid black "cobalt blue" and none of their t's looked like they were being taken care of very well....they did have a real nice looking red knee but they wanted $125 and i can't justify spending that much money on a t, especially at a crappy pet store
Depending on the size and the sex of that T, that would probably be about what it is worth. If it's around 4 inches, peope online are selling MALES for that sex. If it turned out to be female, it would be quite a bargain as people are seeing females for $200 to $250 online.

I like a couple of the pet places by my house. One only does reptiles and inverts and the guys are knowledgable about both. Their critters are well cared for. (Arizona Reptile).

The other one I like (where I buy my crickets since they tend to be larger than the ones Arizona Reptile gets) is Pets Inc. I've bought a few spiders from there, when I felt they weren't overpriced or when they had things I had never seen online before. Most of the time, their spiders are overpriced so I stick with mostly just buying feeder items. (They were selling a GBB SLING for like $80 just to give you an example). ;)

Despite the ridiculous prices on some of their inverts, the guys are reptile and "bug" guys who know their stuff. They stay in the reptile/bugs department while other people deal with the puppies and kitties. (On a side note, I've seen them selling MUTTS for around $500)!!! =D

Wysi
 

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 18, 2003
Messages
2,040
Originally posted by si_sleaf


I buy livefood from my local petstore, but that's it.
I'm not even going to do that any more, seeing as the latest batch of cricks are crawling with mites - which are now all over my T's :mad:
 

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Messages
2,898
The pet Store here only says Rose Hairs they did sale a T.Blondi it was like 4 to 5" for $180
 

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 19, 2003
Messages
836
I grabbed my 4" female Cobalt for $40 canadian. Only downside was that she has a crooked back leg but who cares she will grow it back just fine. But i have seen some prices for cobalts be pretty expensive.
 

Kali

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Apr 23, 2003
Messages
292
my new cobalt sling is pretty dark, but i bought her from a good breeder, (Inland Sea Reptiles), from who i always buy at shows. she, (hopefully she), is 3/4 inch for $5. i love those shows! I ended up with 5T's, 1 scorpion, and a trapdoor spider for only $70! All are good eaters and most have already shed. I do agree on the petshop complaint, however. there is only one good petshop for exotics around here, and i once bought a S. calceatum as a rosehair out of pure pity at another local petstore!

Kristin


:}
 

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joined
Mar 17, 2003
Messages
910
The two problems I have with pet stores around me is that they don't always know what they have, and the T's are not always taken care of the way they should be.

I prefer to buy on-line. The on-line dealers are knowledgable and the T's are in good health.
 

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
May 2, 2003
Messages
177
Originally posted by Lopez
I'm not even going to do that any more, seeing as the latest batch of cricks are crawling with mites - which are now all over my T's :mad:
Bad luck mate. I think I mite (pun intended) start ordering them online soon. It is cheaper and they are delivered next day too.

Hope you get rid of those mites ok. I think I read some where about a mite trap using dead crickets and vaseline in a tub. I'll see if can find the link for you.....

Edit:

Here it be. Go to www.brum-tarantulas.com, from the main page go to "information" and the "mite control"
 
Last edited:

extrovertinvert

Arachnopeon
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
31
I know what you guys mean about the T's not being taken care of. I went to a place called the animal house and they have rosehairs with a sponge in their enclosure... not a dish just a sponge laying on the ground, and I have never seen it wet. and they had a pinktoe in a kritter keeper half filled with dirt and a paper bag inside to make a hide in. so I rescued it. but now on the other hand at my petstore I consider the tarantulas as mine and take care of them better than the other animals, or at least I know them better than the other animals. I've tried to get my boss to order more but they don't sell well. so all we have is two rosea and a 9" blondi, I sneek the blondi a small hampster before I leave and take out the bolus in the morning. so that on top of the bi weekly mouse she should be pretty full about now
 

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
645
the truth about "saving" animals...

well, first off, i must defend the FEW pet stores that treat their Ts well. there aren't many, and not all know the scientific names offhand but the good ones have a list they can refer back to and they at least have good instructions. a hide, a shallow water dish for the 3" and above ones, etc.

i got my A. avic from a Petco and i must say i was astounded by how healthy the Ts looked. they even had fake vines in the A. avic enclosure to help it feel more secure!!! i was impressed.

now...this is just MY opinion...but...this is my view on 'saving' animals from pet stores:

basically: do NOT do it.

what you are doing is saving one animal but telling them that it's okay to treat others like crap. this will result in one animal being saved while countless more are purchased and brought into the store to be mistreated all over again.

by NOT purchasing the animal and talking (politely) to management and explaining your concerns about the animals' care you do far, far more to help the animals there.

yet another step few realize they can take and even fewer actually bother to take is this:

if you are TRULY concerned about the care of animals at your local pet store call your Dept. of Agriculture. note the day and time of your visit, have the address of the store handy and tell them in as much detail as you can what you witnessed. they record all of this and are required to send out an investigator.

i have witnessed several horrendous pet stores closed because of the action of concerned local citizens, myself being one of them.

this is the best action you can take that TRULY makes a difference to countless animals whose lives you will save in the future. please consider it an option.

thank you. :D
 

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
482
Originally posted by johnnyjohnjon
I know what you guys mean about the T's not being taken care of. I went to a place called the animal house and they have rosehairs with a sponge in their enclosure... not a dish just a sponge laying on the ground, and I have never seen it wet. and they had a pinktoe in a kritter keeper half filled with dirt and a paper bag inside to make a hide in. so I rescued it. but now on the other hand at my petstore I consider the tarantulas as mine and take care of them better than the other animals, or at least I know them better than the other animals. I've tried to get my boss to order more but they don't sell well. so all we have is two rosea and a 9" blondi, I sneek the blondi a small hampster before I leave and take out the bolus in the morning. so that on top of the bi weekly mouse she should be pretty full about now
It sounds like you're somewhat attached to the blondi. I think you should take her home! ;)

Wysi
 

extrovertinvert

Arachnopeon
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
31
if noone buys her in the next few months I might buy a new shelf and go ahead and buy her. she would only be 85 bucks for me which is a good price and she is in very good health. and I'm 100 percent sure its female. but now i got my heart set on a red knee.
 
Top