I am just having no luck with this species...

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My favorite species is C. schioedtei, about a year ago, I bought a sub-adult female, who died shortly after to a bad molt. Just a couple of months ago, I bought 5 slings, and so far I've already lost two!

I've got them in vials with plenty of ventilation, with moist coco fiber and a peice of fake plant for them to anchor webs too.

Am I doing something wrong? :wall:

This is just really frustration, they're my favorite species, is it too much to ask to just beable to keep them alive?

Sorry for the rant.

Dexter

Arachnopeon
I have had 2 suwalsi black and 1 schioedtei die on me in the last 6 weeks also. They seem to be extremely hard to take care of I dont know why.

I have 3 sumatra tigers still alive from the same shipment.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I don't know...

Maybe the vials arn't providing enough ventilation, I've also lost an A. sp. peru purple I had in a vial. I've since moved all my avics to cube containers, maybe I just need to do the same with the schioedtei slings I have left.

I was thinking it might have been bad crickets too since both times they'd been fed literally the day before.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I was looking into the earth tigers hmmm i'll have to do some thinking before buying one.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is a tip

Moisture Moisture Moisture.....Make sure the floor is damp not soaked, also make sure there is ventilation and a good hide. Temp around 78 and you should be good to go. I have found that these spiders are dependent on high humidity. So that would be my two cents. :D

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been keeping the sub fairly moist (but not sopping) and the temps stay at 75F+ they're two small for hides right now. they're about 1".

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry to hear about the troubles Ariel, I've been lucky so far. My little Borneo black female and 3 schioedtei slings have all been healthy for the couple of months I've had 'em. I have a good amount of ventilation for their small cubes and mist about every third day or so. I don't keep it overly moist but living in South Florida, we're normally fairly humid. HOWEVER, we just had a cold front pass through and the air is now dry and cool. Seeing this, I think I will have to mist more often.... This winter is going to be a real test for my collection, I have a lot of species I didn't have last year.

These are the cubes I keep 'em in, you can see the vent holes running the sides and the tops are full of 'em. They've also since created burrows all through the substrate (peat)