I almost bought another T....

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I went to a Farmer's Market today that had a pet store in it. I went in and they had alot of tarantulas but not a diverse selection of species. Unfortunately no scientific names....
Striped Knee ....20.00
Wooley..............30.00
Chilean Rose......10.00
Pink Toe..............25.00

All but the tarantulas were juveniles except the rosies from what I could tell. I was close to getting a striped knee and a pink toe but went to find that I had to take a number and then I couldn't find the guy who was calling the numbers over the PA system(there were 6 people ahead of me). I got P.O.'ed and left. They were very busy. I've never seen a pet store sell as many fish as they were moving. All the herps were healthy and well cared for and the tarantulas were in critter keepers with suitable substrate about 2 inches thick. The only complaint was that they had sponges in the water dishes and I couldn't get close to the tarantulas' enclosures to get a close look at them since they were being kept on a shelf in a room behind a glass display window which was locked and labeled "employees only". . I am kicking myself for not getting at least one but I think I might go back next week and set up the enclosures this week in anticipation. I know the prices could be better but compared to other stores in the area they are very reasonable and there won't be another reptile show in my area until may or june. I really should have got one....this is going to be a long week! :(

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Those prices aren't too bad as they are comparable to some stores around here. Sure you can find them in some areas/stores for less, but I've seen them for more than that.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've done this before, see something I want but don't get it and kick myself in the butt for a while because of it. The prices don't seem to bad if they are all what I think they are( A. seemani, B. albopilosum, G. rosea, and A. avicularia)

Last edited:

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought the "wooly" would be Avicularia huriana. Considering the price....usually curley hairs aren't much more expensive than a rosie at petco....although this wasn't a petco.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
I thought the "wooly" would be Avicularia huriana. Considering the price....usually curley hairs aren't much more expensive than a rosie at petco....although this wasn't a petco.
The last B. albopilosum I bought from Petco I paid $29.99 for it, so $30 would be right on the mark for it.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Buspirone
I went to a Farmer's Market today that had a pet store in it. I went in and they had alot of tarantulas but not a diverse selection of species. Unfortunately no scientific names....
Striped Knee ....20.00
Wooley..............30.00
Chilean Rose......10.00
Pink Toe..............25.00

All but the tarantulas were juveniles except the rosies from what I could tell. I was close to getting a striped knee and a pink toe but went to find that I had to take a number and then I couldn't find the guy who was calling the numbers over the PA system(there were 6 people ahead of me). I got P.O.'ed and left. They were very busy. I've never seen a pet store sell as many fish as they were moving. All the herps were healthy and well cared for and the tarantulas were in critter keepers with suitable substrate about 2 inches thick. The only complaint was that they had sponges in the water dishes and I couldn't get close to the tarantulas' enclosures to get a close look at them since they were being kept on a shelf in a room behind a glass display window which was locked and labeled "employees only". . I am kicking myself for not getting at least one but I think I might go back next week and set up the enclosures this week in anticipation. I know the prices could be better but compared to other stores in the area they are very reasonable and there won't be another reptile show in my area until may or june. I really should have got one....this is going to be a long week! :(
I can tell you that the Pinktoe, if it's the standard black colored one, is a rip off. I paid 5 dollars less for mine.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
True but you must think pet store prices, not dealer prices. For a pet store I'd say $25 is only slightly high.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Last time I bought curly hairs from Petco they were $23.99 each. I bought 3 of them. Of course they were actually B. smithi so I didn't really mind that much. Still have the two that were female.... :D

Scott

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to get at least one next week....but it will probably be two.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Americans luck out with pricing. There is a store near here selling a Green Bottle Blue spiderling for 150 dollars, an Avic Avic for 69 and a G rosea for 49

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
Americans luck out with pricing. There is a store near here selling a Green Bottle Blue spiderling for 150 dollars, an Avic Avic for 69 and a G rosea for 49
Its your punishment for producing Martin Short and Bob & Doug McKenzie, EH! :p ;P ;) =D

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK, Hoser......the McKenzie brothers were characters on SCTV back in the 80's....an old skool Wayne's World. They hosted a canadian show called The Great White North and eventually made and starred in their own feature film "Strange Brew". The characters were played by Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Underground/6756/takeoff.htm

Take off, EH!

;P ;P ;P ;P ;P :D

Basically all americans who were teens at the time the movie was made beleive that Bob & Doug are pretty much indicative of all Canadians.

Last edited: