Hygrometer Calibration Results

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've been told that cheap hygrometers can be up to 30% off, so i decided i'd calibrate my $8 CDN Exo- Terra hygrometer yesterday and here are my results:

After almost 8 hours in the instructed environment (large ziploc bag with a coffee mug with a 1/2 cup water and a 1/2 cup salt stirred in it, the humidity in the bag is always 75% after 8-12 hours, so you can check yours against that) the humidity read 72%. The next day, after about 20 hours, the humidity was EXACTLY on 75%. Either i got lucky with mine, or these little inexpensive guages are very accurate. I'll test a couple other brands and keep you all posted. At the most it would be no more than 5% off. 2 Thumbs up for Exo-Terra's Cheap hygrometeer.

Mark

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
I've been told that cheap hygrometers can be up to 30% off, so i decided i'd calibrate my $8 CDN Exo- Terra hygrometer yesterday and here are my results:

After almost 8 hours in the instructed environment (large ziploc bag with a coffee mug with a 1/2 cup water and a 1/2 cup salt stirred in it, the humidity in the bag is always 75% after 8-12 hours, so you can check yours against that) the humidity read 72%. The next day, after about 20 hours, the humidity was EXACTLY on 75%. Either i got lucky with mine, or these little inexpensive guages are very accurate. I'll test a couple other brands and keep you all posted. At the most it would be no more than 5% off. 2 Thumbs up for Exo-Terra's Cheap hygrometeer.

Mark

I was just about to post a question about Hygrometers (untill I saw this). I have tried three of the cheap dial types in a tank at the same time and got a difference of 11% : 84%-75%-77%.

So are they worth using?

Chid

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Chid,

I would say they are worth using for the more humidity needy species because it gives you a ball-park reading, so at least you will know if the humidity is too low or too high. I would say that if 2 of your hygrometers are within 2 percent of eachother, they are most likely the most accurate ones. If you buy more, buy the ones that offer consistant results. I only use mine to see if things are around what they should be.

Mark