Hybrid Brachypelma?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
post 112 you mean??

edit: disregard this i noticed it XD was lil blurry on my screen for sec thought was bad img good img tho
Yeah is post #111 the other two photos were of the hybrids I had. I only have one female left that looks baumgarteni but I know it's not, and she is about 3" inches so I'm growing her up to see the how the spermathecae would show up to be. I do have a couple of immature males hybrids one is at 6" inches that really needs to molt and my 4.5" inch male molted a few days ago. Hybrids or not the offsprings are able to reproduce they are not infertile, that has been proven by different owners as far as I know.

Jose

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Here is a photo of my B. baumgarteni spermathecae that is on this link see post 111, http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?248735-B.-baumgarteni/page8 it is of my adult female. Disregard the other photos. Unfortunately I do not have photo of my old adult female B. boehmei spermathecae.
Joes
Jose,

After looking at your picture in the link (post #111), the seminal receptacles look widely fused which actually more closely matches B. smithi. Given that it is obviously not a B. smithi, there could be some variance in the spermatheca shape for B. smithi, B. boehmei, and B. baumgartneri or it's just not a good picture showing the true shape. The picture right below it in post #112 matches the spermatheca shape of B. boehmei exactly. However, Locht et. al. (1999) states both B. boehmei and B. baumgartneri share the same shape- seminal receptacles semi divided. Therefore the spermatheca is probably not going to be a good character for identification between the two species. Add to it that the female of B. baumgartneri has not yet been formally described so I don't know what you would be using to make a positive ID on a B. baumgartneri female anyway in this case.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B
Jose,

After looking at your picture in the link (post #111), the seminal receptacles look widely fused which actually more closely matches B. smithi. Given that it is obviously not a B. smithi, there could be some variance in the spermatheca shape for B. smithi, B. boehmei, and B. baumgartneri or it's just not a good picture showing the true shape. The picture right below it in post #112 matches the spermatheca shape of B. boehmei exactly. However, Locht et. al. (1999) states both B. boehmei and B. baumgartneri share the same shape- seminal receptacles semi divided. Therefore the spermatheca is probably not going to be a good character for identification between the two species. Add to it that the female of B. baumgartneri has not yet been formally described so I don't know what you would be using to make a positive ID on a B. baumgartneri female anyway in this case.
If you have read through my post I have stated. That according to Rick West that there is doubt that the B. baumgarteni is its own species since DNA has not been confirm. You really need to start reading post a lot clearer. And no the spermathecae does not look anything close to a B. smithi. I understand that since we are talking about the Brachypelma genus that spermathecae are similar but it is clearly does not closely match a B. smithi.

Jose

---------- Post added 04-14-2015 at 10:28 PM ----------

You know it is sad to know that I have tried so hard to inform hobbiest about what is happening in today's hobby, and have shown proof of specimens and this is the treatment I get from other members that have shown "NOTHING".

Yes I have heard that spermathecae is not the best way to properly identify spiders. So if that is the case than taxonomist need to keep spermathecae out of it. I have been in this hobby for a long time and have seen many B. boehmei and I can tell you that LuiziBee specimen is clearly not a normal boehmei. But hey I'm just a hobbiest that earn his money by taking the time and helping other hobbiest.

Jose

---------- Post added 04-14-2015 at 10:42 PM ----------

Jose,

Since B. baumgarteni has not been correctly identify than you ought to send an email to The World Spider Catalog and let them know to title the B. baumgarteni as Brachypelma theraphosides.

Jose

Last edited:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
You know it is sad to know that I have tried so hard to inform hobbiest about what is happening in today's hobby, and have shown proof of specimens and this is the treatment I get from other members that have shown "NOTHING".
I've provided references to my statements which is something. Try not to take contradictory statements as poor treatment, nothing personal. I thought discussion was what people wanted to see here.

Yes I have heard that spermathecae is not the best way to properly identify spiders. So if that is the case than taxonomist need to keep spermathecae out of it.
Actually, the reproductive organs of both the male and female have shown to be really good characters to define a taxa. Sometimes it's used for generic designation and sometimes it is used for specific designation.

I have been in this hobby for a long time and have seen many B. boehmei and I can tell you that LuiziBee specimen is clearly not a normal boehmei. But hey I'm just a hobbiest that earn his money by taking the time and helping other hobbiest.
I would agree that LuiziBee's specimen doesn't quite match up to B. boehmei. It's a very interesting specimen.

Since B. baumgarteni has not been correctly identify than you ought to send an email to The World Spider Catalog and let them know to title the B. baumgarteni as Brachypelma theraphosides.
This gave me a good laugh. I'm done with this thread now so you can relax a little.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've provided references to my statements which is something. Try not to take contradictory statements as poor treatment, nothing personal. I thought discussion was what people wanted to see here.

Actually, the reproductive organs of both the male and female have shown to be really good characters to define a taxa. Sometimes it's used for generic designation and sometimes it is used for specific designation.

I would agree that LuiziBee's specimen doesn't quite match up to B. boehmei. It's a very interesting specimen.

This gave me a good laugh. I'm done with this thread now so you can relax a little.
It gave me a good laugh too, and I will relax a little.

Jose

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've attempted to raise the discussion on one of the fbook groups and on instagram. I'm hoping to get attention of other people with or who have knowledge of Brachypelma hybrids. Information gather, etc. Not much going on either of those places so far.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've attempted to raise the discussion on one of the fbook groups and on instagram. I'm hoping to get attention of other people with or who have knowledge of Brachypelma hybrids. Information gather, etc. Not much going on either of those places so far.
Here is a few photos of my immature male hybrid/boehmei/baumgarteni or what ever it is. This male is at 5" inches in size.

Jose

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here is a few photos of my immature male hybrid/boehmei/baumgarteni or what ever it is. This male is at 5" inches in size.

Jose
I know this is old dated thread but that one really does look close to baumgarteni. wow.
anyone has spermatheca photo of hybrid boehmei x baumgarteni ? I m very curious to see.