Hyalophora cecropia?

jarrell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My dad caught this and tried to feed it to my rosea :wall:

sorry for the bad pics

The moth has about a 6" wingspan. It has layed 18 eggs in the wire cage I have it in now. I was wondering how can I raise the eggs?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why would you feed such a gorgeous moth to your pet?

If the eggs are fertile they will hatch soon, and you need to feed the caterpillars whatever host plant they eat, fresh leaves everyday. But a warning, it will be ALOT of leaves since the caterpillars get large, so mabye keep a few caterpillars and if you find the host plant let a few caterpillars go on the plant.

Here's info on the Cecropia Moth

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/kkhp/1insects/cecropia.html

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You could also sell the eggs. With perhaps 200 or so eggs she may lay, you will have plenty to spare...unless she is almost spent of course.

jarrell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No my dad tried to feed it to my tarantula. My rose didnt even bother with it.
thanks though anyways.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:eek: How could he?! That is an act of pure evil! And yes it is a Cecropia moth the largest North American moth.

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The caterpillars love cherry leaves. They are worth the effort to rear, a freshly emerged cecropia is an incredible sight!

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate to burst everyone's bubbles, but that is a male specimen, you can make out the feathery antenna in the second pic, wonderful creatures they are.

jarrell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hate to burst everyone's bubbles, but that is a male specimen, you can make out the feathery antenna in the second pic, wonderful creatures they are.
Im pretty sure both sexes have feathered antennas but the male is very feathered. I have already found about 40 eggs so far glued in patches in the cage. They Look like what the eggs ussually look like. Today It died, but Im going to try to rear the eggs I collected.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow both male and female have feathery antenna? I learn something new every day here :D Well good luck with the eggs, I guess thats the 100% way to determine the sex of something LOL