Huntsmen Decor/Setups?

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have pics of huntsman setups I'd love to see what other people are doing with them. I'm totally hooked on this species and they really present a challenge when it comes to keeping them from flying out of their cages. Just wondering how everyone gets around these speed demons. I also want to be sure I'm offering the right microhabitat within the cages.

I'm currently keeping some Orange and some Green Huntsmen that I got from Charles, totally amazing spiders! :clap:

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this is my girl's setup:

There is a water dish to the front left that you can't see, but the moss keeps the humidity up as well. She spends most of her time under the bark piece she's sitting on, and for the most part will stay hidden if I'm messing with her tank. The lid is drilled plexiglass split down the center diagonally so I can open up one side or the other if she is out and about and I need to mess with her tank. I've had her for about 9 months now and she seems to like that set up, but maybe people with more experience will chime in with additional suggestions.

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
According to the research I have done on their natural habitat - they live on the underside of large leaves or in rock crevices. As Malaysia and the entire island of Borneo are very humid - they require the same conditions and when it comes to unnatural death the most likely scenario for captive cause would be dessication or dehydration. Second most likely, bacterial. Although the second is less likely with this species as it is preventable - if it is not a large female who has reproduced and expended her natural life cycle; be sure your Sparassidae have adequate humidity while still providing air flow. Also try to mimic their natural habitat as much as possible - provide large chemical free or well rinsed artificial foliage. If you've got this going on then most will begin to develop their egg sack on the underside of the "craft store leaf".

Stacked rocks = too much trouble.

Is your Green Hunstman a male or a female?

http://atshq.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10997

If you have pics of huntsman setups I'd love to see what other people are doing with them. I'm totally hooked on this species and they really present a challenge when it comes to keeping them from flying out of their cages. Just wondering how everyone gets around these speed demons. I also want to be sure I'm offering the right microhabitat within the cages.

I'm currently keeping some Orange and some Green Huntsmen that I got from Charles, totally amazing spiders! :clap:

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you guys, that definitely gives me a better idea.
Jason my green is a female, absolutely stunning animal. I think I just need some of the artificial foliage in there and they should be good. I absolutely love how voracious these guys are...such gluttons!

Danny

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Danny,
Here is how I have mine set-up right now, I am open to suggestions for improvement. It is a 1 gallon container from US Plastics with a powerade lid hot glued to the side for water, a piece of bark, a leaf off an old silk plant and some eco-earth. Grand total of about a $1.25. the spider was given to me about on Wed and I am still researching how to take care of her.

Attachments