huntsmans oh my god!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, I was thrust into the world of true spiders with baby huntsmans ....all I can say is...YIKES!!!!
I was given 3 of them, unfortunately, one died molting. However, the other two are the fastest things I have ever seen in my life...
I had to go purchase some flightless fruitflies for their tiny asses...and let me tell you....trying to get a fruitfly into the deli cup, without the spider escaping, and not crushing the fruitfly...takes almost more talent that I posess!
But I managed to do it, and to set them up in nice homes in the process. One of them jumped down and ran across my carpet (the same color as the spider I might add)...I don't know how the hell I captured it!
Anyway, if anyone has tips etc, let me know. I haven't much of a clue how to keep them, but Alex helped me the other night in chat, so I think I have them set up correctly.
The question is: how large do they get? How do I find out what species I have?
I don't think my camera will take pics that will show enough detail.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Heteropodidae

Hey Holley, yeah, fruitflies can be a pain, I know what you mean. Just make sure the baby huntsmans are kept pretty moist and humid and have several hiding places and they will do fine. You might have the species Heteropoda venatoria as it is extremely common worldwide as well as in the hobby. Adults of this species get around 4" in legspan.

Alex S.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks Alex!
I've got them humid, and they are eating fruitflies like mad!
their little abdomens are very fat, and they have nice cork bark to hide under, so I think they are money!

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sounds great, Holley!! They should be growing up in no time :) Good luck!

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There are no members of the family Heteropodidae (huntsmans) that have a dangerous bite, although the bite can be painful. There are spiders of the family Ctenidae (wandering spiders), mainly those of the genus Phoneutria, that are among the most dangerous spiders known on earth and are closely related to huntsmans.

Alex S.