huntsman with eggsac

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine little ones are eating crickets now, so they are much easier to care for. Fruit flies are nice, but a pain in the ass.

I'll keep you posted to the number that hatches out of this eggsac. :D
Hey Renee,
to make things easier when you are using fruit flies, just dump them in a bowl of water. then they'll get stuck on top of the water, but they won't drown and use a Q-tip or a tooth pick and scoop them one at a time to feed your huntsman spiderling. This way they won't run around while you control the amount that you feed your spiderlings.
jason

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She laid egg sac #5 today! :eek: This one is even smaller than the last one, but still, she amazes me. I still have 20+ from the last egg sac!

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's amazing! This is certainly lending itself to new information on arachnid husbandry.

She's a talented mom, either way. :D Gods forbid if you get a breeding pair from the slings.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
true spiders can make an insane number of sacs

i had a black widow make 13, 10 of which had viables in them

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, 21 days into sac #5 she decided to eat it. Not sure why. She ate a couple crickets and is looking quite fat and ready to lay more eggs (or explode from overeating).

Cacoseraph - did the widow lay 10 consecutive viable sacs with the 3 infertile ones last or were the infertile ones mixed in intermittantly?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the last ones were all crappy looking.

the first three were full blown eggsacs. low 100's of eggs in them. then the next 4-6 tapered off and by the end got raggedy and full of like 20-50 eggs only. the last several she made were just junk. this was over a couple few year period, by the way!

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's too bad the last sac was devoured. Mine died the other day, as did the two other spiders that looked like huntsman. :(

No little true spiders for me. Even the red backed jumper I found at Homedepot the other day died on me. I am wondering if it had something to do with my apartment getting really hot last week, and the spiders being so close to the window...

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, she just made a sixth egg sac today! I have no idea if it is viable and I have my doubts as she ate the last one, but here's hoping! :D

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool good luck with this 1.
the little 1's i got from you are up to an 1 1/2" already and completly murdering medium crickets. they are great hunters(hence the name huntsman.)

well good luck

moose

Irks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 4 from your first eggsack, the biggest is about 2" now. They tackle flies out of mid-air if they fly close, as well as any grasshopper/cricket I throw in. Truly awesome spiders, thank you for making them available.

Irks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Size question

Hey dragontears, I was curious how big your mother is/was when she laid the eggsack. I'm just curious how big I can expect my little ones to get... they're 3.5 inches now. (2nd picture is from my phonecamera)

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you...my female rarely comes out for a good measurement.

She measured in today at 4inches!

Irks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
3.75 inches now. Pretty sure she won't molt again, since she hasn't in months, but she is slowly getting a little bigger.