Hunting Trip-Harquahala Mountains

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My friend and I went out friday night and saturday for a Rosy Boa hunting trip, no luck with finding any boas but I did find this very nice guy below. We found him at 2:30am on our way down the mountain. I also found a very interesting lime green spider that is posted up in the spider forums. Enjoy

Attachments

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sweet find! :clap: Oregon may be nice 'n green and such, but is lacking in the "giant venomous arthropods" department. I are the jealous!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That looks like a nice hefty one. Oh, 2:30 am... I didn't see that. I asked you what time you found it in a PM. I never thought I'd say this but I think I'd take the pede over the Rosy. I used to be a snake person, then an arthropod person. I've done a 180 over the years.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heh . . . not so much in the Willamette valley. :) We get some Scolopendra species in the southeast corner of the state I hear. (Lori over shoulder: "not that anyone goes out that way.")

We do get Uroctonus mordax around here, though.

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. I really enjoy rosy boas but this was by far a better find for me then another snake. I have plenty as it is but not enough heros, just ask my girlfriend :} I am really hoping that this will be the start of a long and heros filled summer.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i just had that exact sp. it passed away about a month ago,it was an adult when i got it 3 1/2 years ago it was huge,they have a pretty long life span.

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Update

I was checking on all of my animals today due to the heat and when I was checking on my pedes I noticed that the pede that is pictured was holding eggs!!!!!!!! I am very happy and interested in trying to raise these little pedes if any of the little hatch out. If anyone here has had any experence with raising up little pedes let me know I have questions.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i've done a few S. polymorpha and other clutches and Galapoheros has done a few S. heros clutches and a few others. Steven and Vincent have done all kinds of clutches.

what q's?

(AWESOME pede, btw! and congrats :))

James H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You asked for it: ;P
The first big question is do I need to really worry about her eating them?
Will she eat while caring for the eggs?
When/if they hatch how long do I need to wait to separate them? Or do I need to separate them?
When/if do I take them away from mom?
When do I start to feed the little buggers?

I think that’s enough for now if I think of anything else I will post it up. And as always thank you to everyone that answers any of these questions.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rock! I try not to disturb too much. When I start seeing a few plings leaving the home, the mom is uncurled and just sitting there back in her normal position. When the babies "feel" threatened, they all try to run back to the mom if they haven't gotten too far away from her. That's when I start separating them. I take her out and get each baby to climb on a chopstick to put in an individ container. I haven't done it a lot but that's what I've done. I just had one eat her eggs a couple of months ago. But she had a successful clutch last year with no mating since then. I don't know if the eggs were fertile or not. I'd guess it would increase the odds of getting babies since she's a recent wild catch. I just found one of the S. h. heros I have on eggs today when I got home too. Might work out ..trading a few babies, muahaha. I experimented and fed one mom sitting on plings. Worked out but I wouldn't think it happens in nature so I wouldn't do it again. I just wanted to see what would happen. If she's kinda out in the open, maybe you could put a bowl of water in there and cover the top, something like that if you haven't done it to keep it still in there and maybe it'd help keep the eggs from drying up. Good luck, keep us posted.

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck!!!! I'd really like to see some newborn sc.h.a :)!!!! Hopefully you can send me some whenever they hatch, please please please please!!!!

phil.

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome centipede! I have caught Sc heros heros and Sc heros castaniceps but yet to find an arizonensis. Good luck with the eggs.

Andy