hungry plants. post them here!!

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey thanks moose. those stone mimic plants are just amazing. not sure of the species or anything but wasnt there a new nepithen species discovered about 2 to 3 months ago?...says they can eat rats?
Yeah, there was but that's nothing new, there are several neps that grow large enough to eat rats, including 3 of the ones I grow: N.rajah, N.truncata, and N.northiana. ;)

Taryllton

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those are so cool! I vaguely remember seeing the carniverous selection at the home depot down the street, and it was pathetic, to my recollection. Can you order these things off the internet, or is that prohibitively expensive/a ridiculous idea haha? I'm sorry, I don't know too much about these sorts of plants and what they are capable of withstanding...

Also, do you just put them outside and let them do their thing, or do you actively "feed" them?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are so cool! I vaguely remember seeing the carniverous selection at the home depot down the street, and it was pathetic, to my recollection. Can you order these things off the internet, or is that prohibitively expensive/a ridiculous idea haha? I'm sorry, I don't know too much about these sorts of plants and what they are capable of withstanding...

Also, do you just put them outside and let them do their thing, or do you actively "feed" them?
I get most of my plants from cpjungle.com, and the price depends on the plant in question. Some of the rare neps can go for $250 per seedling, while you can get a large flytrap for about $10. I feed the indoor plants but my flytraps and other outdoor plants usually manage to catch plenty on thier own. :)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
exo...just amazing...nice collection man:drool: id love an N. raja!(spelling) i seen one on the net but wow...so how long have have you been keeping them? and again o here for a decent selection www.blackjungle.com

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
exo...just amazing...nice collection man:drool: id love an N. raja!(spelling) i seen one on the net but wow...so how long have have you been keeping them? and again o here for a decent selection www.blackjungle.com
Thanks, I've been growing them for 2 years and you can see a pic of my young rajah in the first set of pics, second photo. Rajahs need very high humidity to pitcher and need a temp drop of 15-20F at night to grow well. I find that cpjungle has better prices and selection, especially on neps.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The light I use is a Sunblaze T5 HO that uses 8 54W growlight tubes. I feed them the occasional bug, the kind depending on the size and type of plant.
THANK YOU for that light information. I ended up googling it and found an awesome source for flourescent grow fixtures. I am going to look into buying a few of those and daisy chaining them for my vegetables and pepper plants through the winter.
:)

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
trades

Nice stuff!

I used to keep a lot of Nepenthes. I'd like to get back into it. I'm willing to do some trades of live inverts for Nepenthes. I especially like N. bicalcarta.

Todd

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice stuff!

I used to keep a lot of Nepenthes. I'd like to get back into it. I'm willing to do some trades of live inverts for Nepenthes. I especially like N. bicalcarta.

Todd
Reeeeeaally....would you be interested in a N.ampullaria? :cool:

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok mark...need some I.D.'s please:D

my new things...

unknown nepethens sp.

View attachment 81841

View attachment 81842

unknown drosera sp.

View attachment 81843

View attachment 81844
The nep is a hybrid of N.alata and N.ventricosa.

The sundew is D.adelae....a rather difficult sundew from Austrailia. It needs very high humidity and unlike almost all other sundews it grows best in low light....very odd, I know. Your best bet is to keep it in some kind of terrarium or at least somewhere with a humidity over 70%. I have one and it's been a pain in the butt, enjoy! {D

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well crap!....maybe thats why when i took it out of the "cube of death" it basically lost all of its dew within the 2 hours ive had it...

i got the last sundew from lowes too..maybe thats why i have had such a hard time!...i thought i just couldnt get them to grow...well man..you wanna trade!? for something i can grow!?...{D:wall:

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well crap!....maybe thats why when i took it out of the "cube of death" it basically lost all of its dew within the 2 hours ive had it...

i got the last sundew from lowes too..maybe thats why i have had such a hard time!...i thought i just couldnt get them to grow...well man..you wanna trade!? for something i can grow!?...{D:wall:
I have my own D.adelae that I'm killing at the moment, I don't need yours!!! ;P

Don't worry, soon I will have some easy species for sale. ;)

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thread from the dead! :p

I got into keeping carnivorous plants this spring to fill the void left by the absence of my creepy crawlies. Unfortunately, my school does not allow on campus residents to keep non-aquatic pets, although I did manage to sneak in a few tarantulas, a scorpion, and a humble colony of roaches to feed them. Ironically, even the off campus "pet-friendly" apartments don't allow any non-mammalian animals, or even mammals heavier than forty pounds, so these carnivorous plants should provide an interesting outlet for at least the next few years. :)

I currently have twenty-five Nepenthes; seventeen highland plants and eight lowland. Most are in three inch pots and just a few inches tall. My biggest is a Nepenthes × ventrata that's about a foot and a half tall and twelve inches in diameter.

I bought ten TLC Nepenthes from Sarracenia Northwest to give this cool genus another shot after past failures. To my surprise, nine of these plants have survived my care and transplanting so far. Mark and Cody, these came unlabeled. Do you guys have any thoughts on what species these might be?

And here's a pitcher from the plant I rescued from Lowe's. It was in terrible shape when I found it. It had no pitchers and all of its leaves were brown and crunchy except for one. But I couldn't pass it up for $3. Nepenthes sanguinea?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wish I could help with an ID(Mark will know before I)

I cannot for the life of me keep the nepenthes...lol

I am more into outdoor bog gardening with my setups. My climate is perfect for most species(except a few)

I use bog bowls to grow what few I have.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Somehow I missed this thread..sorry about that..so here we go.....

#1 appears to be N.mikei

#2 looks like N.sanguinea

#3 is N.ventricosa

#4 is most likely N x Judith Finn

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it's fascinating that for most of their lives they rely on insects for food and then later they need the insects for reproduction.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am fortunate enough to live near two nationally renowned carnivorous plant nurseries. Both are heavily involved in the conservation of Sarracenia and other North American carnivorous plants, and accordingly keep THOUSANDS of these plants, but they also keep many tropical CPs, such as Nepenthes and Cephalotus. On Tuesday, I saw Cephalotus and Utricularia for the first time in-person, as well as in situ Sarracenia and Drosera at Meadowview Biological Research Station in Woodford, VA. On Thursday I saw an extremely thorough collection of Nepenthes, as well as my first glimpse at Brocchinia reducta and Heliamphora nutans, at Botanique in Standardsville, VA.

I highly recommend that anyone interested (and proximal) schedule a visit to these awesome nurseries! :)

Here's a shot from Botanique: