humidity

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How high should the humidity be for a T. blondi be? note: i dont have one im just doing some home work before i rush off and get one.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since I don't have a hygrometer dedicated to my T. blondi enclosure, I couldn't answer with a percentage, but I'll tell you how I have mine set up.

I keep about 7+" of substrate (peat moss) in the enclosure and I keep it moist. There is a large shallow water dish that I also try to keep full. I believe it dries out quickly due to the webbing that is in and around the water dish. (I believe the term is capillary action) He is in a rubbermaid blanket box type enclosure that has holes drilled in the sides at the top and the lid. He has burrowed out an area beneath a large terra cotta saucer and seems quite pleased with his surroundings.

I have not had any problematic molts since I have kept a closer eye on keeping the substrate damp. Prior to that, ignorance caused problems and the death of one of my T. blondi.

I hope that helps.

Botar

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok thanks, so should i just make sure that the substrate is all ways damp? do they require a heat pad or any thing, or is the room temperature good enough?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my invert room between 75 and 83 degrees F. It all depends on how cold it is outside and how hard my supplemental heating unit needs to work. From what I've read, if you decide to use a heat pad, put it on the side or back of the enclosure, not on the bottom. They tend to burrow deeper to get away from heat. If you have the heat source on the bottom, the T will continue to burrow trying to get away from the heat, but will be achieving the opposite. If you can keep the temp and humidity up, you should be in pretty good shape. IME, the conditions don't have to be exact, but if you keep them too dry or cool, you run the risk of having problematic molts. Keep an eye on this post and you'll have some people respond with some exact ranges for you. T. blondi is an incredible specimen and I've really enjoyed mine.

Botar

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For my blondi's I just make sure the substrate doesn't get dry and on top of that my t room is kep at a constant 55% humidity, between 72 and 82 degrees throughout the day. Never had any problematic molts. I don't keep that much substrate though like botar, sometimes cages aren't tall enough. A good hide would do if you didn't want that much.

-Jeremy

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I heard that T.blondis like humidity close to or around 90%.

also, how do you keep the substrate wet? do you mist the top of it or do you pour water on it?

Mark

bwhatch2

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Bjorgly

also, how do you keep the substrate wet? do you mist the top of it or do you pour water on it?
Mark
hey mark, ive never kept a t.blondi so cant really help with your questions there, but can ofer a suggestion on keeping the substrate wet. although a lot of people mist to keep the humidity up, it really isnt very effective. it will bring the humidty up but only for a very short period of time. to keep your substrate wet i would use vermiculite 50/50 with peat moss. mix it up then wet it down to where when you squeeze it in your fist it will hold its shape but you cant squeeze any water out of it. vermiculite will hold moisture for something like 100 years.

bryan