humidity

qsodax

Arachnopeon
what is the perfect humidity for b.albiceps

Hey ,just got my B. albiceps and i cant lower the humidity to 60%,can someone help me how can i lower the humidity,now its 80%
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Don’t pay any attention to humidity. Keep a water dish full and moisten a corner of the enclosure, let it dry and moisten again.

please do your research. Look up Toms big spiders and watch his YouTube videos about care.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Hey ,just got my B. albiceps and i cant lower the humidity to 60%,can someone help me how can i lower the humidity,now its 80%
thanks
I'm no help, but I'm wondering how you're able to get/keep your humidity that high? Are you measuring from inside the enclosure (because mine is measured just in the room). I try to bring mine up for my mantises and I swear it feels like a sauna in here and stinks. I'd like to bring it up without the whole room being gross. (My Ts are in the other room and I don't monitor the humidity in there.)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Don't bother chasing humidity numbers. The hygrometers sold in pet stores are often inaccurate anyway.

Keep a water dish available, and overflow a little bit around the dish. Otherwise, they can be kept dry (unless we're talking about small slings.)

cold blood

Staff member
Humidity is NOT relevant to keeping tarantulas. Throw the hygrometer away.

Any t can be kept at ANY ambient humidity....some simply need damp sub..your albiceps will do fine just kept dry....if its a sling, just keep an area damp and re moisten when it dries.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
It is really not necessary to chase humidity with tarantulas. Albiceps should be kept dry with a water dish as others have mentioned :) The only time ot becomes remotely relevant is when the t has specific husbandry for example:

Stirmi and blondi want it fairly moist and avicularia NEED to be kept dry.

Most others can live in a more wide ranging manner.

Don't bother chasing humidity numbers. The hygrometers sold in pet stores are often inaccurate anyway.

Keep a water dish available, and overflow a little bit around the dish. Otherwise, they can be kept dry (unless we're talking about small slings.)
Every hygrometer is inaccurate by nature. I was talking to the company that builds custom enclosures for reptiles (outfitting zoo's and even had a tv show on discovery channel I believe) and they told me that hygrometers are a guess at best. The problem is that if the probe gets hit with water it will read completely inaccurate. It will go up to 99% and won't function right until it dries out. It is better to have an idea of how humid your tank should be as opposed to chasing numbers.

qsodax

Arachnopeon
thanks for the help,i‘ll try to dry the sub. und ignore the moisturing for a while.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Ditch the word humidity from your vocabulary, it's not even the slightest bit relevant to tarantula keeping.

B. albiceps slings should be kept on slightly moist substrate, once they pass 1.5" keep them on dry sub with a water dish.