humidity revisted

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey all,
there's a huge post a few pages back that talks about humidity issues, (amongst other things).
anyway, how much is a hygrometer, and where can I buy one? is something like this necessary if I am only keeping one T? do i really have to go through a lot of humidity precautions for one Tarantula? i definitly CANNOT afford a humidifier. i plan to use a substrate of 50/50 potting soil and peat.
Wow..I've made a lot of posts today. Must be more curious than usual ;)
The Rookie

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
What it really comes down to is how much do you want to spend and what kind of T it is? If it's a pulchra, mine has been doing fine at an ambient room humidity of about 30 to 40% with a water dish in the enclosure. If you choose to get a hygrometer, they can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to spend. They sell cheap analog ones at most pet stores for about $10. You can also go to radio shack and buy a digital one, that is a bit more accurate than the analog ones, for about $20 to $35 I think. I believe they also have more expensive ones, but they're overkill IMO.

Scott

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
one more question

Hey Scott,
While you're helping, I was looking at a big substrate debate a few pages back, and throughout the whole argument to what is best (neverending as it is) I noticed that not ONE person said they were using the substrate i've chosen. should i go ahead and try it, or should i maybe bring back that potting soil for some verm.?
Thanks x2,
Paul

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Personally, I use a peat/vermiculite mixed substrate for all my inverts. Aside from the ones that I set up on Jungle Mix a long time ago and have been too lazy to change that is. I also have a couple that are on potting soil, but that's just because they're still in the original containers that they came in and that was what they came with. The only truth in substrates is go with what works for you and your pet.

Scott

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Unless you are keeping a species *known* to have high humidity requirements, don't bother. If I remember correctly you were getting a versicolor (correct me if I'm wrong). They will tolerate a wide range of humidities without issue so long as ventilation is adequate.

I own a very accurate hygrometer, I've never even considered using it with my Ts. First, I don't bother with difficult species - when it reaches the point that I've got to do more than keep the substrate moist/not keep the substrate moist, that T (or any plant or animal) just became more trouble than I need. Second (and related) is you've got to ask yourself what exactly you plan to do about "incorrect" humidity. Are you going to build a walk-in humidor for your Ts with a 70% RH constantly, are you going to change out moist towels like Bryan does, or are you going to go, "oh well" and let the chips fall where they will.

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
CM: "If I remember correctly you were getting a versicolor (correct me if I'm wrong)."

Okay, you are wrong. I'm alctually getting a G.Pulchra. Thanks for the advice, though. Would your suggestions differ at all for that species (I'm guessing no). Sorry to do that, but you said to correct you..
How do you put up that quote thing where you list the quote afterward?
I'm just full of questions, aren't I?
Paul

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Look at the bottom right of this post. You'll see "edit" and "quote". To quote me, you'll hit the quote button. Then you can delete out the stuff you don't want in the quote. If you make a mistake and notice it after you've posted, you hit the edit button and make your corrections.

Botar

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
CM: "If I remember correctly you were getting a versicolor (correct me if I'm wrong)."

Okay, you are wrong. I'm alctually getting a G.Pulchra. Thanks for the advice, though. Would your suggestions differ at all for that species (I'm guessing no). Sorry to do that, but you said to correct you..
Nope, same deal. Grammastola's are a sturdy bunch of spiders. I would not bother with a hygrometer for any of them. Keep the substrate slightly moist and don't worry about it beyond that. If the spider really wants more humidity, they'll burrow.

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. Pulchra,,

;P ;P =D G. Pulchra will do just fine on a peatmoss potting soil mix and all ya gota do is mist the cage once every other day as they dont care for super high humidity. atleast mine didnt. you dont want the cage getting soggy and it likes full venalation.. Trust me on this one i know... and i never use vermiculite, dont care for it and dont like it at all..and in all these years never have used it.. As for the G.Pulchra ,, brazilian black well i love them and they are one of the best Ts you could ever own..... :cool: ;P

Last edited: