humidity problem help

craige431

Arachnopeon
my normal set up was fine then i laid his cage on its side and put bark in the humidity went shuting right up to 85% i have a chilean rose hair and was wundering if this was putting my lovely friendly freddie in danger

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't say in danger, just may not be very comfortable. I would let it dry out.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And what are you using to measure humidity........ if its one of those pet store zoo med things it maybe off by like 50% :D

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
honestly just put in substrate, keep it dry, provide a hide and a water dish and your G Rosea will be perfectly fine.

craige431

Arachnopeon
reason

I placed it on its side as even though they need minimum room i though it was a bit cramped for him. He seems happy now though and moving around more offten i thought the chippings may put him off but he seems happy enough

smokin' boas

Arachnopeon
I placed it on its side as even though they need minimum room i though it was a bit cramped for him. He seems happy now though and moving around more offten i thought the chippings may put him off but he seems happy enough

what do you mean by chippings? and if it's moving around more often then it's probably less comfortable. tarantulas are normally pretty stationary.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If your tarantula is moving around a lot, something is wrong with it. If it's happy, it will almost never move.

Seriously, what are you doing? What do you mean you put the enclosure sideways, how does THAT give it more room? Can we get a photo or something? This is baffling. :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am not really following the tank on the side deal ither...... a picture would help..........

Odds are if the tank is not big enough laying flat then its no bigger laying on its side.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
turning tank on its side

i can see what he means by turning the tank on its side you do get more room. a medium kritter keeper has a floor space of 60 inches when right side up but 77 inches on its side. a 10 gallon tank has about 210 square inches of floor space right side up and about 260 square inches on its side.
not a big diffrence but a diffrence.
also the humidity is real high because you only have ventilation at the front now and none at the top.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Post a pic if you can.. then we may be able to help..

rosea don't need high humidity... my grammy's hate the substrate even a little bit wet!

craige431

Arachnopeon
thanks

moved plant from over the side of the air vents humidity always seems fine and i see what you mean about not moving people he never hardly moves at all i'm new at this and still leaning people. loverly t though very tolrable and a gem to handle love him to bits.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those bark chips are not the most desired substrate to be using. I would recommend changing that to peat or a mixture of peat and loam or perlite. Or peat moss and spagnum moss. Anything really other then that bark chip stuff.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Are those pieces of wood just sort of leaning on each other, or are they glued or otherwise fastened in place? Because you don't want something to slip and squash your T. :eek:

Also, your enclosure is way too tall--when you switch to a better substrate, you need to add a TON of it. The distance from dirt to ceiling should be no more than maybe 1.5x the spider's legspan, but 1x is best. Ts are really very fragile creatures, and a heavy-bodied terrestrial that climbs and falls is going to crack like an egg. Nasty way to go. (This is why it's recommended, for Ts in the average size range like roseas, to stick with critter keepers. A large critter keeper is maybe half that size, much easier to get the dirt to a safe height, and still MORE than enough room for the spider. :) )

craige431

Arachnopeon
cherrs

thanks m8 will do tommorow i wounderd at first when the wife came back with them if they should realy be in there but had nothing ealse to put in gota change it though

craige431

Arachnopeon
You guys know

thats why i joned this site as to get advice from people like yourselfs and the advice is all noted cherrs. Another reason why on its side was freddie did keep climbing the glass and as you know with it standing up the hight was alot higher and was worring me abit as for the wood thy are glued together all ready thought of that dont want them to fall and hurt him thanks guys.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You should just rite the cage the way that it was and when you add your new substrate dont wet it at all. Supply a water dish and a good hide and she should be good to go..... but as mentioned make sure the substrate is high enough.

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with the suggestions to change the substrate, I personally use peat moss for my Ts. Once you get your T off of those bark chips you should notice that it will no longer wish to climb... Many Ts try an get off of a substrate that they hate.