Huge Scorp

Evil Juggalo

Arachnopeon
Went to Petco today to pickup a new Heatlamp cause my other burnt out (3000 hours my ass).. Anyways, after picking up what I neeed I swung by the Amphibian wall to chekc out what they had and there was a HUGE ass Emp in the tank.. I took my stuff to the counter and told the guy I wanted the emp and he denied it was there.. Finally he went and looked and sure enough, big ass emp was there staring him down.. The guy picked up the water dish and you could see a about 9" Deep tunnel fromt he dish along the wall of the tank so a little cubby hole.. All underground.. This scorp had been living under there for at least a month, eating anything that came near.. There were 2 molts in there, both half eaten..

I grabbed the little beast and took him home..
First thing he did was pick a fight with the emp I have now.. But I broke it up and now they are getting along..

I got a nice pic of him all stretched out.. Measured the length along the window and its just shy of 9".. The tip of the tial was rolled under and the pincers were slightly retracted so its not exact.. but This guy is prolly 10 - 10.5" Long..

Hes not fat at all Supprisingly, He is in EXTREMELY good health.. Very active.. Fast, not too tempermental.. Exactly what I wanted.. This guy is big enough to feed small mice to :)

My original scorp was not too happy abotu the newcommer..

And just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of the setup.. Looks kinda wierd in this shot so ill explain it

Back left corner - is a glass cup filled with water and one of those reptile fog machines in it. I pour in a cup of water each morning whent he light clicks on, keeps humidity at about 60-85 all day.. Just to the right of the glass is a heatrock burried undergound keeping the soil int he area warm..

Front left corner - is a Angle cut Wood house with Flatrocks stacked to the right.. Rocks make a bridge over a ditch in the dirt for an easy path to the water dish..

Front Middle - Water dish and worm feeder dish..

Front Right Corner - Small vine plants an a little ceramic skull to crawl on.

Back right corner - More vine plants, and a small Wood house thing..

Back Middle - Temp/Humidity Gauge.. Has an "Outdoor temp" probe attached to it.. Line is burried, pops up under the Angle cut wood house.. They sleep there the most, so I figure I would make sure I keep that spot the best..

Whadda ya think?

-Evil Juggalo

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nicely done! and congrats on that big scorpion.. I bet this thread will get some good attention with all the P.dictator talk and "forest variety" emps lol. your tank looks good. I would get it so all the substrate is moist though.. but I am sure it will spread on its own in time :D you have some happily housed scorpions I would say.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very nice set-up. Goodluck cleaning the leftover crickets ;P

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Excellent set-up. I wish I'd find a Godzilla-sized Emp at Petco too. WOW!

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
very nice emp, kinda wish i didnt get rid of mine now:( but o well i love the set up to good luck with it

mamadori

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
THat's GREAT! Congrats! :clap: Can the two really live together? I plan on breeding scorps some day and I have an emp. But right now I am doing all my research on T's. If I knew I could house them together I would buy more to let grow. BTW-your set up is awesome. You should hire yourself out.:worship:

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey - by the looks of your pics it looks as though your original scorp is a female. One that is fully ripe with eggs.

When mine had babies it was incredible.

Tom

Evil Juggalo

Arachnopeon
Yeah, its amazing how a couple of 4$ plants from walmart can help out a tank..

You can see the soil is Extremely moise under the first inch or so .. The top layer is dry just cause its 85-100F when the light is on and the tent is up (Tent = Open lid leaning on light with towel draped over, pockets all heat and moisture)

I figured there is like no air curculation so I pulled a fan from an old P2 CPU and added a 9v battery connector.. Pulls nearly no power so i 9v should last a LONG time, I just let it run while the light is on to get fresh air all around the tank..

I do have a bad track record for keepin scorps alive, I just recently had one die.. They both escaped.. I found one in my shoe while getting ready for work and found the other 2 days later ont he other side of the living room curled up under a speaker.. Sadly, she was dead.. Not really sure why.. I woulda figured the one in my shoes woulda been the one to die :p

But, I have a suitable replacement..

I wish I could find a way to get the scorps to live in Harmony with a Pink Toe, then it would be perfect..

Everything in my tank is on a timer. Light and fog during day, Heatrock and pad during night while the light fixtures glows like a moon.. Only thing I have to do is add food every few days, pour a cup of water in the fogger, and click the fan on..

Soon im gonna have everything automated.. Auto feeding, auto filling, AC powered timed fan..

Btw.. After letting about 10 superworms loose in the cage I found them while remaking the cage today for the plants n rocks.. And I gotta sya.. My scorps LOVE to eat them in mid metamorphisis.. No shell, no fighting, cant run.. those black Beetles they grow into are annoying tho..

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some scorpions really like the pupae of mealworms and superworms. my friend got his H.laoticus to balloon from eating those things :)

Evil Juggalo

Arachnopeon
Is there a way to induce the worms into that stage?

Heat? Moisture?
If possible Id just get the worms to that starge and feed the scorps like that.. Much easier, and they like it a lot better..

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
THAT thing is HUGE I want babies from that thing! Are ya sure its an emp and not something else?

orkimedies

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
those plants look real, are they?

if they are how do you get them to stay alive with out sunlight?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Heat? Moisture?
If possible Id just get the worms to that starge and feed the scorps like that.. Much easier, and they like it a lot better..
give them time and food and they will naturally enter metamorphosis :D

Evil Juggalo

Arachnopeon
They are real plants.. They are vines.. Got them from walmart for like 4$ each (There are 2).. Only been in there a few days.. But I give them light during daylight hours.. Water every couple days.. Gonna see if they live..

Well, If it happens to have babies, ill be glad to sell them..

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think your female is already gravid though... so the babies won't be fathered by that monster. :(

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Heat? Moisture?
Just separate the "worms" from each other and they will change very soon.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you sexed the larger one yet? And I really hate to say this, honestly... But get as much profit outta that GIANT emp as possible.... Every giant emp I have bought, has died within 3-6 months after purchase. But...Perhaps you are just a lucky one?