Huge Nads

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you believe this; talk about the importance of reproduction. I'm in the process of finishing a book on the general biology and husbandry of Australian Scorpions and am adding some sections on anatomy etc. Today I dissected a male Urodacus yaschenkoi to create a drawing/description of the reproductive system. Take a gander at the size of the hemispermatophores...huge is an understatement. Madness...total madness..!! Man, would that leave an empty feeling after sex.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holy cow! Any idea why it's so large? Is it to increase the number of females he can breed with or is all the sperm released at once?

Will your book be available to Americans? (not that it we would ever be able to keep in Australlian species any ways :( )

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also Mark, I figure youd know the answer to this. Are there any scorpions from New Zealand? I checked Ythier's site and cant find any that originate from there.

thanks - ryan

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No scorpions in NZ...too brrr..cold. No idea why the paraxial organs are so darn huge...how do they get out, what an effort.

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No scorpions in NZ...too brrr..cold. No idea why the paraxial organs are so darn huge...how do they get out, what an effort.
Hmmmmm.... if I had a proportion similiar to that.... the ladies would go wild.

So, does it hurt the male more releasing his spermataphore or the female giving birth?