how will i know if it is an old wolrd or new world???

ribnum

Arachnopeon
how will i know if it is new wold or old world? wat are the differences??

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OW Ts do not have urticating hairs on them so they don't kick as a form of defense. Instead they will most likely give you a threat pose or even skip that step and proceed to tag w.e is in it's way. Majority of NW Ts have hairs that they can kick. Majority of OW Ts compared to NWs will most likely be more defensive and faster but do not forget that there are some spp. in the new world area that are proned to be labeled as defensive. Examples include the blondi, apophysis, and so on. Never forget though that each Tarantula has their own attitude, they are many individuals on here who had a defensive prone T in their possesion that barely showed signs of such actions and were not what they expected. The same can be applied to those who owned Ts that majority were presumed docile and calm, some individuals got defensive roseas, pulchras, and so on. To each their own in consideration of a Ts attitude and individuality.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OW Ts do not have urticating hairs on them so they don't kick as a form of defense. Instead they will most likely give you a threat pose or even skip that step and proceed to tag w.e is in it's way. Majority of NW Ts have hairs that they can kick. Majority of OW Ts compared to NWs will most likely be more defensive and faster but do not forget that there are some spp. in the new world area that are proned to be labeled as defensive. Examples include the blondi, apophysis, and so on. Never forget though that each Tarantula has their own attitude, they are many individuals on here who had a defensive prone T in their possesion that barely showed signs of such actions and were not what they expected. The same can be applied to those who owned Ts that majority were presumed docile and calm, some individuals got defensive roseas, pulchras, and so on. To each their own in consideration of a Ts attitude and individuality.
WELL DONE :clap: :clap: :clap: === phil

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer

I am going to add something. Old World refers to animals from across the pond, Africa, Asia, Europe...etc. New World refers to the Americas. The genus Psalmopeous is a new world genus that lacks uricating hairs. A quick search should clarify this.

There is no definitive anatomical characteristics that distinguish NW from OW, although uricating hairs are a great general way.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am going to add something. Old World refers to animals from across the pond, Africa, Asia, Europe...etc. New World refers to the Americas. The genus Psalmopeous is a new world genus that lacks uricating hairs. A quick search should clarify this.

There is no definitive anatomical characteristics that distinguish NW from OW, although uricating hairs are a great general way.

Yep, you said it, thats why I said majority of NW Ts have urticating hairs, Psalmos and Taps don't have any. {D

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, you said it, thats why I said majority of NW Ts have urticating hairs, Psalmos and Taps don't have any. {D

Proshapalopus, Sickius, Hemiercus, Oligoxystre, Pseudoligoxystre, and Holothele also don't have them.

All of these are in the same subfamily whose name I don't remember...I don't know if Psalmopeous is in that family as well.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/search.php :) (sense a trend?) not tryin to be a smartass...just seems hardly anyone ever uses the search engine here on the forum...it works! i just used it 5 minutes ago lol
I don't think you're being a smartass, you're absolutely right. :) Plus this guy seems to have made like eight or ten very simple question threads in a single day and it's kind of flooding the front page of the forum. The search engine would help him a lot more than that. {D

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how will i know if it is new wold or old world? wat are the differences??
There is a noticeable difference in accent if you listen closely.

Okay, I have contributed nothing to the thread. ^_^

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Proshapalopus, Sickius, Hemiercus, Oligoxystre, Pseudoligoxystre, and Holothele also don't have them.

All of these are in the same subfamily whose name I don't remember...I don't know if Psalmopeous is in that family as well.
Subfamily of Ischnocolinae is what you're referring to. :D Psalmopoeus is in the Selenocosmiinae family (Chilobrachys,Selenocosmia,Orphaecus and so on.)

Last edited: