How was your first tarantula experience?

Ah Lee

Arachnosquire
I recently found this forum, and I love this place so much. The amount of information and like-minded people here just makes it heaven for a critter-lover. You guys and gals rock!

It brought back memories of when I first started loving spiders, and I thought I'll like to share my story here if y'all are interested.

How it started
I grew up in a concrete jungle where most pets other than cats, dogs, hamsters, terrapins and fish are illegal. Yes, the laws make no sense, but my country has the habit of wanting to make everyone come out of the same mold. So if you don't like the normal, cute pets that other normal people do, you might as well be a criminal. Yet that was what I loved. As a kid I spent hours combing through bushes near my home searching for cool invertebrates. I would save my school money just to have enough for 2 cab rides (split among 3 friends), and we would sneak out of the house at midnight and take a cab to a hill which is one of the last bastions of nature in my country. We will sneak past the security guard, enjoy about 6 hours of natural bliss, and grabbed a cab back before our parents woke up. I was 10 then, with a rebellious streak, especially because my parents ruled me with an iron fist ( why do you think I had to 'sneak' to a nature reserve? My mom would rather me be studying. )

Learning about T's

When I was not out catching spiders and lizards, I was in the library reading books about reptiles, insects and arachnids. There weren't many books on that topic in my country. I would finish most of what I found interesting, and move on the the next library. I stumbled upon a book called Barron's Exotic Pets Handbook: A Family Guide to Buying, Caring For, and Breeding Unusual Pets. That was my first professional guide to actually keeping these pets, and I read that book over and over, wishing I had access to even one of these pets. Particularly one of the last pets they introduced, the Mexican Red Knee.

Finding my first T
Finding my first T wasn't easy, considering it was illegal in my country, and that was before the dawn of Google. I went around pet shops asking for help. Most of them thought I was just a crazy kid, a few stocked items like UV lamps and terrariums, but told me they do not sell exotic pets due to the laws and heavy fines. Finally one nice man told me of a shop that used to sell these, but were since raided by the authorities and have stopped selling exotics. I went down to the shop, and they owner pointed me in the direction of a smuggler who would get me what I wanted. He was easy in divulging that information, but probably because I was a 13 year old kid. But the having the contact to a person called a 'smuggler' just seemed so cool when you were 13. I called the person, ordered my first B.Smithi, and arrange to meet him at a hotel.

A HOTEL.

The plot thickens. My mind started racing with images of me handing a secret note to the receptionist. She would say "Carlos is expecting you" and ask me to get to the penthouse suite. I would knock on the door 3 times and someone would say "We didn't order room service!" and I'm supposed to reply "T-that's strange, s-someone ordered a whole p-pile of greens." An armed guard with an AK-47 would open the door, I will gingerly put $25 on the table and apologise for not using a briefcase because I can't afford one. Carlos will snap his fingers, cigar still in hand, and another armed guard would hand me a briefcase. I would mumble "thanks" and quickly make for the door, and just before I reach the handle I would hear the cocking of a gun behind me.

'Leave the briefcase, you cheapskate.', says Carlos. I leave it and scuttle out, barely escaping with my life.

Buying my first T
Of course, reality was much less exciting. I met the guy, who looked nothing like Mr. Carlos, and was actually a very normal-looking middle-aged man. He told me he was working as the IT guy in the hotel, and thanked me for making the trip down. He brought me to the server room, and opened a bag containing a whole bunch of deli cups with T's in them. It was a dream come true. It was my first time seeing a mygalomorph, but identified some of them quickly. He seemed genuinely pleased that I had such enthusiasm and knowledge as a kid, and I was just relieved he was not a Mr. Carlos, but someone who shared my love my spiders. He brought out the B.Smithi that I ordered, and it was... tiny. Yeah he told me it's a sling, but my kid imagination imagined tarantula slings to be pretty huge as well. I asked him about the nice orange sub-adult he had, which was just $5 more than the B.Smithi sling. He cautioned against me buying it, telling me it was not a good beginner's species and is very fast, and very angry. Still, against all advice, I told him I wanted it, fobbing him off with claims that I am great at handling dangerous invertebrates (a complete lie, but damn, that spider was pretty). He finally relented and sold me that spider instead and that, ladies and gentlemen, was my first tarantula : a Pterinochilus murinus. A.K.A Orange Bitey Thing.

Caring for my first T

Running home with shaking hands, I couldn't wait to rehome my new baby. All through the bus journey I was just watching it intensely, she seemed tame enough. Just sitting pretty amongst the mess of web tunnels she built. Still, I knew I had to be careful. I opened the box and prodded her gently with a stick. She moved. I prodded her somemore, trying to coax her into her new home, and she slowly spread her legs and started walking towards the opening. She was majestic and beautiful, it was the first time I saw a tarantula walking. It was not a scuttle like small spiders, but a graceful, queenly walk. She arrived at the lip of the box and hesitated, front legs waving in the air. I poked her again, and she disappeared. In a flash. Out the delicup, into the tank, out the tank, and under my table in barely a second. I was petrified. I moved everything out of the way but still couldn't find her. Judging by her speed, she's probably halfway to Africa by now. I dug around a little more and noticed a hole in the cable trunking on the wall for the air conditioner wires to run through. I ripped open the trunking and lo and behold, there she was huddled with the wires and looking much smaller than she did when she was walking. I grabbed a small fish net and tried to coax her out, and when she did, I quickly slapped the net on her, as she went full defensive and started attacking the net. Quickly sliding a cardboard between the net and the wall, I captured her and walked gingerly to her new cage holding the cardboard and the net. I threw everything: the net, the cardboard and the spider into the tank and quickly slammed it shut. Ta-dah! Rehoming done, EZPZ. The net never left her cage until a month later.

One thing led to another
Despite the fiasco that had been our first date, she thrived, and I was just fascinated by her. How she builds her web tunnels, how she feeds, how she moults and becomes a totally different spider. I kept in touch with the smuggler, who was a really nice guy and passed me a book called the Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Stanley A. Schultz when I met him to buy my second spider (a B. Smithi this time). He would always give me kid discounts, and invited me to watch when he was attempting to mate the T's. Fast forward to 20 years later, I am now that middle-aged man who still has a burning passion for spiders, albeit keeping them legally now because I am working in another country. My OBT has since passed away, but damn, I think she taught me more about T keeping than I ever learnt from books.

I expect your stories would be very different from mine, but post them up here, I would love to hear them please!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Honestly, I spent about 6 months looking at tarantulas online and watching videos before I got one. I asked my friends who kept spiders what they'd recommend for beginners, and I bought a 2" Grammostola porteri that came with an enclosure.

She just moved dirt around endlessly and filled up her water dish at every opportunity and dug holes to nowhere. It was great. I sang her stupid songs and got kind of obsessed with her, trying to find out why she did things, why she felt like dirty water was the best water. Even though I have 55 spiders now, she is still my baby. I'm glad she's female, but she'll probably outlive me. That's okay.

She molted again recently and is about 4" now.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first experience was kind of good. I founded it very tasty. Not too much garlic and chilli. Just perfectly spiced!🍽

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
I've wanted a T since I was about 12.

I have no idea why it took me til my 40s to realize that I was an adult and that there wasn't anyone who could tell me "no".
I did a crapload of research, joined AB, did more research, and ordered 2 NW slings....and fell in love.

That was in early March. Tarantula #10 is shipping tonight. (E. campestratus)
I'm obsessed and I'm happy about it.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
My story is not that exciting haha, but here goes.

So, I too loved looking for insects and spiders when I was a kid. I had a bunch of tin cans and coffee cans that I would temporarily house outdoor creatures in. I would inevitably let them go as I knew they would be better off in the wild.
Sometime in the nineties, I remember watching a Disney show called "Amazing Animals" and they did a section on inverts called mini beasts. I loved watching the tarantula walk across the screen in the intro. It was in that episode that I realized people housed big spiders as pets. Fast forward about 5-7 years, I finally convinced my parents to let me get a "reptile." I had told them I wanted to look at a small snake (I think it was a garter snake) I had seen at the pet store. My parents were okay with a small snake. However, I really had my eye on a little Grammostola rosea they had for sale. After a little convincing and going over the pros and cons with the store assistant, I had my little rosie. I took her home and put her into a 10 gallon tank (she was pretty big when I got her, maybe 3" or more) where she has been for the last 15 years. I was initially a little nervous of her at first, but she was always so nice and slow with me. It was a great experience bringing her into my life. I've learned a lot since then and I try to incorporate my new understanding of her care into her life...slowly though as she is set in her ways :rofl:

Ah Lee

Arachnosquire
Honestly, I spent about 6 months looking at tarantulas online and watching videos before I got one. I asked my friends who kept spiders what they'd recommend for beginners, and I bought a 2" Grammostola porteri that came with an enclosure.

She just moved dirt around endlessly and filled up her water dish at every opportunity and dug holes to nowhere. It was great. I sang her stupid songs and got kind of obsessed with her, trying to find out why she did things, why she felt like dirty water was the best water. Even though I have 55 spiders now, she is still my baby. I'm glad she's female, but she'll probably outlive me. That's okay.

She molted again recently and is about 4" now.
I feel you on the dirty water part. I've got nice, tall water dishes for all my T's but they feel obligated to shove dirt into them. I had since given up on keeping them clean.

Ah Lee

Arachnosquire
My story is not that exciting haha, but here goes.

So, I too loved looking for insects and spiders when I was a kid. I had a bunch of tin cans and coffee cans that I would temporarily house outdoor creatures in. I would inevitably let them go as I knew they would be better off in the wild.
Sometime in the nineties, I remember watching a Disney show called "Amazing Animals" and they did a section on inverts called mini beasts. I loved watching the tarantula walk across the screen in the intro. It was in that episode that I realized people housed big spiders as pets. Fast forward about 5-7 years, I finally convinced my parents to let me get a "reptile." I had told them I wanted to look at a small snake (I think it was a garter snake) I had seen at the pet store. My parents were okay with a small snake. However, I really had my eye on a little Grammostola rosea they had for sale. After a little convincing and going over the pros and cons with the store assistant, I had my little rosie. I took her home and put her into a 10 gallon tank (she was pretty big when I got her, maybe 3" or more) where she has been for the last 15 years. I was initially a little nervous of her at first, but she was always so nice and slow with me. It was a great experience bringing her into my life. I've learned a lot since then and I try to incorporate my new understanding of her care into her life...slowly though as she is set in her ways :rofl:
Roseas are lovely starters! It took about that amount of time to convince my parents too. I think when you are that insistent about something, parents eventually give in.

Ah Lee

Arachnosquire
I've wanted a T since I was about 12.

I have no idea why it took me til my 40s to realize that I was an adult and that there wasn't anyone who could tell me "no".
I did a crapload of research, joined AB, did more research, and ordered 2 NW slings....and fell in love.

That was in early March. Tarantula #10 is shipping tonight. (E. campestratus)
I'm obsessed and I'm happy about it.
Holy, your collection is growing really quickly!

ErikElvis

Newb
I randomly picked up a Mexican red knee many moons ago in its juvi stage. That thing was bolts and an aggressive hair kicker. Thought it looked cool though.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
My first tarantula experience was actually not my own tarantulas but a friend who introduced me into getting tarantulas. At first I wanted scorpions and not tarantulas originally, but overtime I came to appreciate tarantulas just as much and learning somethings from my friend made me start my own collection after a while, which I started with 5 tarantulas and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made so far in my life. Still great to learn something new or see something interesting in my own tarantula collection everyday.

Cyriocosmus

Arachnopeon
My first interaction with tarantulas was actually a friend of mine who keeps a lot of them. I was creeped out by them, but also curious and would sneakily look at them everytime I was over at her home. Eventually, I got a mantis (her name was Mandy) and cared for her until she died of old age, in the mean time I also got comfortable with roaches and started keeping these as pets as well. So I'd go to expos with my T friend often to look at the insects that were rarily offered.
Some day, she was looking for a tiny T to fit a small enclosure she had left and told me of the Cyriocosmus genus. Naturally, I had no idea what she was talking about and made her show me pictures and tell me about them. And well, once I saw those adoranble little heart-butts, I fell in love. Okay, of course I rather said something alike "If I ever had to get a tarantula, it'd be one with a heart on it", but I was in love.
I spent time on research, got an enclosure and at the next expo, got my C. elegans that I still have today, 2 years later. The next month I got a C. perezmilesi, about a year later a C. versicolor.. and since quarantine I have gotten 9 more to keep me busy. Seems like Covid made me nosedive into the hobby at once. Couldn't be happier with all of them.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
The next purchase I have planned is a shelving unit. :)
Me and you have a lot in common! This is my 2nd dive into the hobby as I departed the hobby for about 15 years until this April. With the order I am picking up on Wednesday, it will make 9 T's. So our collections are kind of neck and neck haha!

Quoted the wrong post but you get the idea! :)

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
My first was a rose hair when I was nine. I got an avic. avic. the same year but he didn't make it too long due to poor husbandry of a nine year old who was following pet shop instruction or possibly because it was a mature male.. My rosey was with me until the year I moved out at eighteen. She died a happy girl and I still love her.

Two short legs

Arachnopeon
Not very exciting,she had a lot of animals.won't go into that!
She used to talk about a Tarantula she had as a child, so I said I'm buy her one.No I don't won't one.But she bought one and continued buying them,did not stop.Now she is a member of Tarantula forum.so what does she do next?anyway got two spiders of my own now!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
i went to a reptile expo wanting a tortoise. ended up not being able to afford a nice set up and saw a couple tarantulas for cheap. Picked up an LP and a curly from Classic Jurassic Exotics and never looked back.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
When I was a kid, I was fascinated by animals, especially spiders and insects. I'd often catch wolf spiders, caterpillars, and mantises and keep them as pets. One day when I was about 9 years old, I saw my older cousin have a full blown panic attack over a cellar spider that had become trapped in the bathtub. Ever since then I was deathly afraid of spiders, but was still fascinated by them. When I was in college, a classmate brought a C. cyanopubescens and T. vagans to a class one day during a lecture about veterinary care/ husbandry of exotic animals. I talked to her about them, and was absolutely fascinated with them. I had no idea that tarantulas could be so vividly beautiful, and their fluffiness made them seem more cute instead of frightening. After doing some online research, the next day, I went to a local pet store to look at tarantulas. I saw a fluffy little L. klugi sling and I immediately fell in love with it. At the time, I didn't really know much about the species I had chosen, but he turned out to be perfect for me. 2 years later and I have 15 tarantulas. I'm still just as enthralled with them as the day I bought my first spider. My arachnophobia almost completely dissipated the instant I bought my first sling home, and watched him remodel his enclosure and create a burrow. He attacked his prey with a vengeance, and it was so interesting how such a tiny creature could be so bold. Over time, I hope to build a substantial collection.

Pep48ito

Arachnopeon
My first experience was at around 18 years old, I went to the mall with a friend and we went to the pet store, we saw a Grammostola Rosea and he dared me to buy it. I think it ran around 30USD with its little set up included, I was a reptile guy at that point(still am) and had no experience with inverts other than keeping small amounts of crickets alive as feeders. But I took him up on his dare and bought her, I didn't know the sex at the time, still not 100 percent sure but shes been with me 10 years so I believe shes outlived the mature Male life span. After getting her i did some research and have kept her since. Only in the last few months have I really started looking deeper into the hobby, I'm 28 and shes still with me, and I think I'm about to be going down a rabbit hole of buying more T's.