How to Replacing zilla screen lid or modify it ?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
any guides or videos that show how to replace a screen lid with something else or a cheaper way to make it so a t can’t get legs stuck ? I got a few lids that aren’t plexiglass, But the zilla ones slide out , so replacing them is a challenge or near impossible I can’t just glue a plexi lid on.

And I got a regular lid or two that also need to be stick proof so t claws t don’t get stuck. most aren’t in Usage atm. Not sure if there are alternatives to plexiglass or is it the cheapest fix ?

thanks!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There are on here but you need to search- some
Posted images too
good plan ! :cool:
Yeah I’m on it , so far I searched for
Screen lid replacement . I take it reptiles can’t get there claws stuck in The screens ? Or is wire mesh just the standard all glass tanks come with seem intended for reptiles.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There are on here but you need to search- some
Posted images too
No luck finding any guides yet what other terms may work for Screen lid replacement??? Im now trying this searching for more ideas 💡.. what do you do to fix these??

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Just remove the inner glue/silicone using a razor blade, then measure the inner gap and cut a perforated acrylic or aluminium sheet so it can fit tightly. Then apply some silicone ot hot glue to it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Just remove the inner glue/silicone using a razor blade, then measure the inner gap and cut a perforated acrylic or aluminium sheet so it can fit tightly. Then apply some silicone ot hot glue to it.
That simple Is a glass shop or hardware store probably cheaper?? How thick of a sheet do you suggest? I’ve gotten lexan the last few times .

Dorifto

He who moists xD
That simple Is a glass shop or hardware store probably cheaper?? How thick of a sheet do you suggest? I’ve gotten lexan the last few times .
2-3 mm for aluminium, 5mm at least for acrylic to "prevent" some warping.

Can't tell you who's cheaper, since it looks that in the States prices differs a lot from Europe's one. Here glass and aluminium are cheaper than acrylic...

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
2-3 mm for aluminium, 5mm at least for acrylic to "prevent" some warping.

Can't tell you who's cheaper, since it looks that in the States prices differs a lot from Europe's one. Here glass and aluminium are cheaper than acrylic...
Glass maybe cheaper too but I don’t have tools to drill holes in that or modify it to fit , so it’s acrylic I’ll use . Most likely lexan or the best quality stuff they got not that cheapo stuff . Although surely there’s ways to modify the screen itself so claws don’t get stuck besides buying acrylic , but that would hurt visibility.. and I already gotta take the lid off for pictures. However that might be an option for other tanks ..

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Although surely there’s ways to modify the screen itself so claws don’t get stuck
Changing it for a thicker gauge wire screen, usually the major culprit it's the wire thickness, as the claws can sit completely on top, rather than the tip alone.

Easiest one it's to get a predrilled lexan sheet at cut it to measure.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Changing it for a thicker gauge wire screen, usually the major culprit it's the wire thickness, as the claws can sit completely on top, rather than the tip alone.

Yeah I guess I wasn’t aware you could have it pre drilled .. could had saved me a lot of time.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Yeah but zilla and regular 10 gal lids have different wire patterns on them , how do I know they can they stuck on zilla when I’ve never even seen any t in this enclosures climb on the lid or near it . Hopefully I’m not replacing something that’s not a problem. Lol 😆 although yes I’d rather have a clear see through lid so there’s that.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Yeah but zilla and regular 10 gal lids have different wire patterns on them , how do I know they can they stuck on zilla when I’ve never even seen any t in this enclosures climb on the lid or near it . Hopefully I’m not replacing something that’s not a problem. Lol 😆 although yes I’d rather have a clear see through lid so there’s that.
Just imagine a tarantula claw, now any wire, regardless of the enclosure brand, if that wire fits inside that recurve, it would pose a risk, since once the claw gets over that wire it can't release by itself unless an upward force it's applied. If the claw only leans on on it's tip, any movement can release it.

So resuming, if the wire it's thicker than the recurve of the claw, the T probably it's going to me safe. If fits inside, then fiesta.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
So... different gauges for different species and sizes?

Sounds like such a convoluted mess. I'm gonna stick to drilling acrylic and other polycarbonates 🤣

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Just imagine a tarantula claw, now any wire, regardless of the enclosure brand, if that wire fits inside that recurve, it would pose a risk, since once the claw gets over that wire it can't release by itself unless an upward force it's applied. If the claw only leans on on it's tip, any movement can release it.

So resuming, if the wire it's thicker than the recurve of the claw, the T probably it's going to me safe. If fits inside, then fiesta.
Hmm 🤔 yeah not worth the risk ..
So... different gauges for different species and sizes?

Sounds like such a convoluted mess. I'm gonna stick to drilling acrylic and other polycarbonates 🤣
too confusing even if it poses no risk for one t might be a death trap for another.
wonder if i should just call local glass shops see what there prices are vs hardware stores . But hardware lets you keep scrap too . No real rush .. just want to not overspend .

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I already told you, a glass top is a disaster waiting to happen. One good smack and you're gonna cut your tarantula in half.

This is coming from a guy who has drilled 1gallon-500gallon aquariums and tops, and broken many lids. I sliced my hand open one time on a tank bottom that shattered and all the glass fell everywhere. Almost lost nerve sensation in my pinky. One moment of complacency is all it takes.

Don't mess around with that stuff, stick to polycarbonate.

Like I said in the PM, it's cheaper, easier to work with, and safer

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I already told you, a glass top is a disaster waiting to happen. One good smack and you're gonna cut your tarantula in half.

This is coming from a guy who has drilled 1gallon-500gallon aquariums and tops, and broken many lids. I sliced my hand open one time on a tank bottom that shattered and all the glass fell everywhere. Almost lost nerve sensation in my pinky. One moment of complacency is all it takes.

Don't mess around with that stuff, stick to polycarbonate.

Like I said in the PM, it's cheaper, easier to work with, and safer
I’ve got lexan acrylic, at glass shops here locally I wasn’t using glass , but they might not even sell it anymore. Ouch 🤕 glass is dangerous. But I can do hardware store if that’s better .

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Oh I thought you were still trying to get a glass shop to drill a hundred holes into a thin glass lid. Most shops wouldn't even bother, and the respectable ones would charge you hundreds per lid. Fabricating custom glass is never cheap--ask the guys who work with it.

I've built custom dimension and shape rimless black silicone tanks, and I've asked for quotes on similar items--it's ALWAYS cheaper just to buy them.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Oh I thought you were still trying to get a glass shop to drill a hundred holes into a thin glass lid. Most shops wouldn't even bother, and the respectable ones would charge you hundreds per lid. Fabricating custom glass is never cheap--ask the guys who work with it.

I've built custom dimension and shape rimless black silicone tanks, and I've asked for quotes on similar items--it's ALWAYS cheaper just to buy them.
No some guy a few posts above said that Glass shops will drill lexan for you but he didn’t mention buying the lexan there . I can just drill holes in plexi myself I have no issues rarely crack it . Custom tanks get very expensive I wonder what the ones on that tv show tanked cost 💲?? A fortune 🔮.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Why would you need a shop to drill lexan or acrylic for you? Buy a rotary tool or drill, the appropriate bits, and have at it. It won't crack or melt if you drill a smaller pilot hole, SLOWLY, and then widen it later. I just drill the hole without a pilot, just slowly to not crack or melt it.

Custom tanks are obscenely expensive. I've seen some priced more than cars. The prices double if you're asking for special low-iron glass... Which, uh, every single one of my fish tanks are.

I am not looking forward to having to purchase more ADA tanks for my T's... 😱

So I'm looking into finding high clarity acrylic sheets that don't warp and custom fabricating enclosures like those Tarantula Cribs.