How to measure terrestrial tarantula that is usually hiding or is never on the glass

F1tarantula

Arachnopeon
I want to measure my B Emilia's size and I don't want to bother you guys by sending a picture, and making you guys trying to guess the size. Anyway, to measure it, should I get a ruler next time it is out and put it next to inch to measure? Or should I have to wait until it's on the glass walls for an easier measurement. I don't want to stress her (or him)

JDS123

Arachnosquire
everyone lies about their size.

well guys anyways

ugh Debs gonna delete my post lolololol

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I was joking, but I mean, you kinda have to guess a little, you can't ever stretch it out, and the last molt is smaller than it is.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
I just measure the molts. Next time it molts, spread it out and measure from tip of leg 1 to tip of leg 4 on the opposite side. Then you'll know how big it was, and you can go from there.

F1tarantula

Arachnopeon
Last molt she destroyed t, so

I believe she's 1-1.5 inches. Can anybody share a photo of a tarantula that size (and without a big abdomen preferably)
This would really help thanks!

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Precisely 1.5" ... see, didn't help at all did it?
20230325_212618.jpg 20230325_212618.jpg

F1tarantula

Arachnopeon
Perfect, mine is around 1.5-2 inches then. How long would it take my B Emilia then to get 3-4 inches big? 3 years?

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yeah they take awhile, I'm waiting too, never done it. Have a boehmei about 1.25" doesn't seem like it's in any kind of hurry. It's molted once in the last 6 months, getting ready to molt again it looks like. I think it'll speed up a bit over the summer then hide all winter again.

F1tarantula

Arachnopeon
Yeah they take awhile, I'm waiting too, never done it. Have a boehmei about 1.25" doesn't seem like it's in any kind of hurry. It's molted once in the last 6 months, getting ready to molt again it looks like. I think it'll speed up a bit over the summer then hide all winter again.
Ok thank you!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I typically don’t worry about trying to measure size usually until it’s time to rehouse and it’s in a catch cup. But it’s fairly easy to measure if it’s on the side of the enclosure or like has been said measure a molt.