How to cover a screen lid?

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is the best way to cover the lid of a tank to help keep the humidity up.I have got a screen lid but need to cover some/half of it.
Thanks
Chid

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chid,
Alot of people use Saran wrap, but I find it hard to work with.
I've been using plexiglass cut to the size I need, and spot, hot glueing it in place. I put it on the under side of the lid.
If you find you need more humidity, you can add more. If you need less, you can drill some holes..:)

Ernie

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Chid,
Alot of people use Saran wrap, but I find it hard to work with.
I've been using plexiglass cut to the size I need, and spot, hot glueing it in place. I put it on the under side of the lid.
If you find you need more humidity, you can add more. If you need less, you can drill some holes..:)

Ernie
Ernie.
Whats saran wrap,is it the plastic wrap that you use for food or sandwiches?
Chid

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just cut out a piece of card board................

Bob

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by chid
Ernie.
Whats saran wrap,is it the plastic wrap that you use for food or sandwiches?
Chid
Yes,
I find it has to be taped in place, so you end up with a taped up mess. At least I do, and I'm pretty handy.

Ernie

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by chid
What is the best way to cover the lid of a tank to help keep the humidity up.I have got a screen lid but need to cover some/half of it.
Thanks
Chid
I use those thin, clear desk top protectors you can get at office supply places. I cut them to whatever size for screened lids. if it slides off it wont damage anything like glass or even plexi will.
Ed

Dean W

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i used to have 2 baby chemeleons, they needed quite a bit of humidity, and it needed to be regulated quite exactly. what i had done was a piece of plexi glass for a top
cut about 1/3 out of the center, but leaving enough of either end, to hold the other 2/3 together. and the center 1/3, i placed some screen glued to the underneath, and ontop i glued 2 strips on top, next the the edge of the rectangular opening. They acted as gaurd rails for the piece i cut out.

So in the end u end up with a sliding door, with screen underneath, and you can open or close as much as u need to bring the humidity to whatever % u need it at.

Hope thta makes sense.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I use a piece of Lucite cut about a 1/2 inch larger length and width than the size of the aquarium (10 gal for my A.geniculata), then i drilled quite a bit of holes on one half of it, and just a few on the other side for circulation of air. Then i put Velcro strips on the bottom of the Lucite and the top of the aquarium, and it holds nice and securely. I also folded the velcro past the edge on the back of the tank, so when i lift the lid i have an instant hinge. Then i just throw a damp cloth on top of half of each side of the holes, and voila --> 80% humidity, esacpe proof perfectly clear lid.

Mark

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Re: Re: How to cover a screen lid?

Originally posted by atavuss
I use those thin, clear desk top protectors you can get at office supply places. I cut them to whatever size for screened lids. if it slides off it wont damage anything like glass or even plexi will.
Ed
Hey, that's a good idea, Ed! Thanks for the tip.

Joy

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: How to cover a screen lid?

Originally posted by Joy
Hey, that's a good idea, Ed! Thanks for the tip.

Joy
you are welcome, I have found the easiest and neatest way to cut the desk protectors is with a heavy duty paper trimmer.
Ed

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just get my own containers and drill holes as i need them.

-Jeremy