How to convince parents to let me buy a tarantula?

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I see you're in california, which college are you going to?

As for maintenance, I have about 16 and five scorps and about 300 roaches, and i spend about 2 hours a week on them all. I work about 20 hours a week and go to school full time as well as have a life and president of the entomology club at school, so you can have time for a few tarantulas. Besides, they can be more entertaining then a tv and as +1 ro what Venom stated.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well you can always have a tarantula even without your parents permission. I used to raise some of my tarantulas and scorpions in the trunk of my car. I make sure the substrate never dries out and they have water. All my inverts survive without a problem. This is one of the reason why I love tarantulas and scorpions because they are very hardy and requires small attention. I even had a pocket scorpion a while ago until it got bigger lol. My suggestion is to get a dwarf tarantula so you can raise it in a very small container like a small salsa cup. Good luck I hope you find a resolve on this problem :)

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would really not recommend the car trunk option. Do you realize how hot that can get? Also the vibrations from regular driving are not going to be appreciated by your animals. Obviously worked for you, but a newcomer to the hobby should not be trying it.
Another thought. When you start school, try to find a prof. in the biology dept. that may keep, or have a good understanding of tarantulas. An educated person talking to them may be what it takes. They could possibly explain the educational benefits in keeping one. Parents are often easier to convince when they learn it is more than just a hobby.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
^^ yes I agreed with him on this. I talk to our science department in my college and even donate some tarantulas scorpions and roaches for display. Since they like me because I'm so enthusiastic about inverts they even let me keep some of my Ts in the green house which has the right temp to grow ts very fast :) Also, I just bought some lockers in school which are only $3 each and I put a bunch of my Ts in there. I usually feed them mid night. I only do this when I have 2000+

Also if you have a dwarf T you can pretty much hide it in your big house where your parents can't find it. one tarantula will not make a big difference in your life style.

FrostyCakee

Arachnosquire
Pros:
- only cost 22 cents per week to feed (2 crickets - price at PetsMart)
- you can make an enclosure for practically no cost or free
- you only have to clean the cage once every 6 months
- they don't smell
- they don't make noise
- you don't have to let them in and out several times daily to go potty
- you don't have to pick up the poop or clean a litter box
- they take up hardly any space
- you can leave for several days at a time and they don't care
- you won't have any vet bills

Cons
- hmmmmmmm
Cons:
- Most people are insanely afraid of spiders for the simple reason of the media making them out to be savage beast who want nothing more then to drain your body of blood and and stand on the face of your dead corpse.
- Venomous
- Can bite.
- Can escape.
- Crickets are the most annoying, loud, and inconsiderate bugs to have in your house.

But these cons are next to meaningless compared to the Pro's of owning a tarantula. :D

Sunset

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wait intell you get to college. or buy one and hide it from your parents thats the only way your be able to have one.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I'm surprised you need permission about something so small. I mean, you're in college now, and you should be responsible enough to balance studies and "distractions" on your own.

I literally spend about three minutes every two weeks on my rosea, for example. Clean/fill the water dish, drop a cricket in, remove any boluses, done. I haven't had to clean out her enclosure for almost three years now.
I currently care for over 100 individual tarantulas. It takes me about two hours each week for maintenance.... And I can do it faster if I want, but I like to observe each one for a while, and enjoy watching every single one eat before moving in to the next.

After setup, I'm pretty sure you can spare three minutes every week/two weeks to care for one tarantula. :)

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
^^^^
I think it is likely a case of not wanting a spider in the house, and making an excuse for not allowing one.
Seriously though, don't try sneaking it in. Any arguments you can make in favor of having one go right out the window if you sneak around. Honesty and respect go much farther. I'm a very easy guy when it comes to animals. My son could have almost anything we can properly house. However, if he ever sneaks anything in I will not be so understanding.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm surprised you need permission about something so small. I mean, you're in college now, and you should be responsible enough to balance studies and "distractions" on your own.
hobo unfortunately some parents are retarded protective/overbearing and will try to control you any way they can for as long as they can. I am in no way vouching for the level of "protectiveness" of the OP's 'rents, but i know if i didn't pack my <edit> up and move out of my home, even after being old enough to decide things for myself, my parents would still be telling me what to do and how to do it at the ripe age of 28. (not that i would want to stay living at home that long, but if i did, bet your bottom dollar they'd still be telling me what to do)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hobo unfortunately some parents are retarded protective/overbearing and will try to control you any way they can for as long as they can. I am in no way vouching for the level of "protectiveness" of the OP's 'rents, but i know if i didn't pack my <edit> up and move out of my home, even after being old enough to decide things for myself, my parents would still be telling me what to do and how to do it at the ripe age of 28.
++1 on that. Some parents are just control freaks and will try to direct their kids' lives forever if allowed to do so. My father was such a person. I left home as soon as I could and made it clear that I intended to live my own life. My brother got pressured into staying at home longer than he should have, and until my father passed away (in his late 80's) he still tried to boss my brother around. If you continue to live in your parents' home, you have an obligation to adhere to their rules (to a limit). If you want your freedom, cut yourself loose and establish your own life.

Last edited by a moderator: