How to convert Exo Terra tops for tarantulas?

Jpeg

Arachnopeon
I have a couple nano talls that I am planning to make into display tanks for my P. bromelicolas. The screen top is a potential hazard, but the front vent only probably won't cut it for ventilation so it can't just be replaced with acrylic. What's a good way to safety-proof the lid while still allowing airflow?

I'm considering blocking off the edges for an inch and a half with silicone or acrylic, but interested in better ideas. They're going to be planted so minimal light blockage is a plus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a couple nano talls that I am planning to make into display tanks for my P. bromelicolas. The screen top is a potential hazard, but the front vent only probably won't cut it for ventilation so it can't just be replaced with acrylic. What's a good way to safety-proof the lid while still allowing airflow?

I'm considering blocking off the edges for an inch and a half with silicone or acrylic, but interested in better ideas. They're going to be planted so minimal light blockage is a plus.
You don't need to remove the screen from the lid. Just add a sheet of acrylic w/drilled holes below the lid frame. Someone just showed this being done, OR just use acrylic w/out the frame.

Jpeg

Arachnopeon
Not going to lie I completely forgot acrylic could be drilled easily.