How to build Cage lids?

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all,
I want to make a 10 gallon turned up on its end so its a tall tank, the only problem is making a front for it... I was thinking maybe plexiglass but i'm not sure. I know i've seen photos of how to do it somewhere but i could not find them. Can someone show me the links?
Thanks,
~Samuel

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try this!

Hey all,
I want to make a 10 gallon turned up on its end so its a tall tank, the only problem is making a front for it... I was thinking maybe plexiglass but i'm not sure. I know i've seen photos of how to do it somewhere but i could not find them. Can someone show me the links?
Thanks,
~Samuel

i don't know if there are actual instructions how to do it somewhere here - i'm still new and this board is beyond full of so much good information. :D However, you can check out the pics on this site.

http://www.ubertux.net

His nick on this board is "Jeep" http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/member.php?u=7792

The prices seem so reasonable and shipping is cheap on just the face boards i'm not going to bother making the whole thing myself. i'm going to contact Jeep - Darren, very soon! Good Luck!:cool:

jules

P.S. What are you putting in that tank??

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea i saw his site and sent him an email for more info, i just thought maybe someone would have the detections on how to make them.
I am going to put a young milk snake in it, and if it works out good i'll make some for my T's.
~Samuel

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
How good are you at building things? I'd plexiglass, with a plastic strip all around the edge, and hinges.

-Sean

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm usuly pritty good at building things. I made a cage last year that way and it worked great, but i could not get the hinges right. Could not find somthing to attach them on right. I'll just see what home depot has and giving it a shot again. I just thought I'd check and see if someone already had it figured out.
~Samuel

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
those tops you see are not hard at all just score the plexiglass drill holes for air and add hinges you just use the plexiglass glue and they bond forever

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds good! I guess i was not using the right glue. I'll post some photos when they are done!
~Samuel

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If the tank is for an arboreal T, then you can simply turn on its end and use the screen lid. Just sort of slant the substrate up toward the back, since they don't spend much time on the ground. I have tried using wide tape, sticky side facing out to prevent the substrate from spilling. You do become more adept at opening the lid without completely removing it.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
for attaching the hinges you need a product made by IPS called weld-on.
it actually bonds the plastics together(ie. melts) and you need a needle applicator to apply it. you place the hinge where you need it. tape it down with masking tape then apply the weld-on. it will get sucked up into the space between the plexi and the plastic hinge.and after about 2 minutes you can untape it and continue. just give it about 24-hours to totally cure.
and use that stuff in a well ventalited area(ie. outside) or you'll know you inhaled too much fumes.

i'll post some pics in a little while for you

moose

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is the weld on

this is the needle applicator

tape part in place

apply solvent with needle applicator

a bonded hinge

a bonded hasp

this is a cage i built...its sloppy cause i siliconed the joints after they cured to make it water tight..

hanging the cage by the hasp its soild like it was originally 1 solid piece

hope this helped somewhat
feel free to ask me any questions

moose

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks moose! Just what i needed to know! Where did you get the hinges and clasp? And how should i attach it to the tank?
That's a great help!
~Samuel

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you need to find a plastic wholesaler in your area. i have a place called acme plastics right by me. look in the phone book under plastic and start making some phone calls as to wether or not they have the hinges and the hasps. also see if they carry the weld-on and the needle applicator.

as for attaching them look up at my last 2 posts.:rolleyes: lol

moose
let me know if you have any more Q's

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks!

Thanks Moose,

You have shared a lot of great information. My brother offered to make my lids but i thought it would be too much trouble.:? After seeing the steps you showed it looks totally do-able! :clap:

jules

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
those tops you see are not hard at all just score the plexiglass drill holes for air and add hinges you just use the plexiglass glue and they bond forever
I've used exactly this method, and it's worked a charm!

Just be careful with the glue; really make a huge effort not to spill, or you'll have opaque 'runs' for life! I use a syringe, melted into the top of the glue bottle for accuracy. Follow Moose's pics and you'll have a great tank!

Good Luck!