How to breed C. cyaneopubescens

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi! I have a newly molted C. cyaneo who has hooked out. I have a female who is just about the same size. I'd guess these 2 are 3.5-4". Is this female mature enough to breed? I received her as 2.5" juvie in Feb. 2007. She has since molted twice. Both of the T's have molted in the last 2 weeks. I don't handle my T's and have no breeding experience. Thanks for your help. Di

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since you have no breeding experience, this wouldn't be the best species to start with. They are actually a pretty hard species to breed.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL-I know that, but what would you do if you happened to have an unrelated female and male in your possession? My male is toast in 6-12 months anyway, right? Di

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey Di

I'm in exactly the same position - guess we are both going to have to take a crash course, right?! :D

Point is, as you say, the clock is ticking, and it's not in the male's favour so we have no real choice. I have the Stan & Dolores (?) Schultz 'bible' and that has great info on the whole breeding process. Definitely a good buy.

Hopefully this thread will also help us both, but I've made several breeding-type threads on various boards, and it's as if the breeders who have the experience and knowledge want to corner the market, so...

Good Luck! ;)

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pinkfoot: I, too have put out some queries about breeding and haven't received much encouragement. I have Stan and Marguerite's book, along with several others, and have read every thread I can find about breeding them, but I want to make sure I do things right before I sacrifice my beautiful little boy.:mad: I have sent an email to the nice {D guy I bought my female from and I hope he will take pity on me and answer it. I guess worst case scenario is my male gets munched. I'm setting up a divided cohabitation tank for them now to "introduce" them to each other. I'll watch for a sperm web and then see what happens. If you find any info please post it and I'll do the same. Good luck! At least mine are the same size so the male won't have any trouble lifting her. Di

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Di

See, that's what bothers me...the similarity in size, I mean. I know males are often fed less frequently, to retard their development and ensure that the female matures first, so perhaps the female is supposed to be bigger?

My male has shown no sign of a sperm web, but with this species how would you know?! :D Certainly there has been no drumming...

I will also try with an older female, but am loath to try anything without more info - let's hope we get lucky, but I think we might have to call the actual breeders and beg..! :eek:

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
here's a few links

I tried to find some info on here for you, found a few threads on breeding GBB's. Sounds like they are one of the more challenging species to breed, but certainly do-able. This might give you some ideas of folks to PM that have bred the species. Sounds like this is also a species that benefits from multiple males being used in breeding, so maybe the two of you could trade males and increase the odds of success. That is, if the males don't get munched, which sounds like the biggest problem in breeding these Ts. Good luck, and hope you succeed!

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=87607&highlight=breeding+cyaneopubescens

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=76710&highlight=breeding+cyaneopubescens

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=62899&highlight=breeding+cyaneopubescens

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=57741&highlight=breeding+cyaneopubescens

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=34783&highlight=breeding+cyaneopubescens

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, Bitey Thing, for the links. Maybe my girl is one of Eric's younguns- I got her from e-spiderworld. I had heard to "cool" them BEFORE attempting to breed so now I'm thoroughly confused. Guess it's live and learn. I'm not going to try anything for a while and keep reading. Di

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess worst case scenario is my male gets munched.
Actually worst case scenario your female gets munched.

From what i have gathered males mature out faster than females. The problem i have had is trying to figure out if a female is in fact ready to breed. If she wasn't ready then she probably wouldn't be too open to the male being near her. Just keep an eye on them and have a container ready for anything.

Good luck.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have you checked the invertsonals

There are always folks looking for breeding loans for mature males and you could work out a 50-50 split for the little ones with out risking your female. Sure, you take the risk of losing your male or not getting any slings but in my mind that's better than losing a female that might not be quite mature.
---Jen

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh great! Now I have something ELSE to worry about-LOL. I have had someone ask about loaning him out. Perhaps I should consider that. CiCi is such a sweetheart, I would hate to lose her. I think I will bring her home to meet Romeo and put their cages near one another for a while. I really want to thank everyone for the help. it's really appreciated. Di