How stupid is this!

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
I went to the pet store to buy my crickets a while ago, and while I was waiting I started looking around at the other animals in the store. Usually this store doesn't carry many inverts, but this day I found they had a few millipedes. Now, I do not keep millepedes myself, but when I saw those two little guys, I knew the employees at the pet store were completely clueless. They had been wondering why the millipedes were not eating... they were trying to feed them crickets! I know typically a lot of pets stores are not experts on the animals they sell, but it is beyond irresponsible for a pet store to try to feed crickets to an herbivore! I tried as nicely as I could to tell the lady working there that those little guys were going to starve to death, only to find out that one already had died. Can you say DUMB ASS!

OK, Rant over...
Amanda

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That sucks. :( I can't stand pet stores like that. Last time I was at one I argued with this lady who worked there, actually turned into a yelling war, about the way they had some newts set up. She told me "This is how the owner wants it! I'm not changing it." She didn't know I know the owner and I got the owners husband from the back of the store to change it.lol The employee was not very happy. ;) I'm glad they listened to me, they still have them set up the way I told them..... Sorry to take your post way off topic. Good thing no stores sell inverts here besides feeders.

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Hey, not too off topic, lol! I have been begging the same store to stop keeping their scorpions on gravel and to give them a damn water dish, but they won't listen:mad:

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by The Red Queen
I went to the pet store to buy my crickets a while ago, and while I was waiting I started looking around at the other animals in the store. Usually this store doesn't carry many inverts, but this day I found they had a few millipedes. Now, I do not keep millepedes myself, but when I saw those two little guys, I knew the employees at the pet store were completely clueless. They had been wondering why the millipedes were not eating... they were trying to feed them crickets! I know typically a lot of pets stores are not experts on the animals they sell, but it is beyond irresponsible for a pet store to try to feed crickets to an herbivore! I tried as nicely as I could to tell the lady working there that those little guys were going to starve to death, only to find out that one already had died. Can you say DUMB ASS!

OK, Rant over...
Amanda
Amanda,

I don't think its a rant, I think it illustrates an excellent point.

Its beyond the expertise of most pet shops to carry many species of invertebrates in my opinion. In Florida we had recent centipede and tarantula bites, that had medically significant venom, tatoo pet shop workers. There is a difference between a cobalt blue and a rose hair...and a difference between a millipede and a Vietnamese centipede. Feeding crickets to a starving millipede is the other end of the "dumb ass spectrum" from transfering centipedes bare handed.

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i was looking around in this one pet store and saw a tank labeled Vietnamese cENTIPEDE FOR $20. The pede was being kept on repti carpet with half log. When i asked to buy the pede the lady tried catching it with a tiny fish net. i knew she was going to get bit or let the oede escape to i told her i would cath it with a deli cup. The stupid pet store didnt even have a water dish for the pede.

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Originally posted by eper-ani
The stupid pet store didnt even have a water dish for the pede.
Why do these idiots think inverts can survive without water? I don't see them letting the kittens die of dehydration!