How soon do I start feeding??

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
HI all, i got my juvinile female giant white knee (A.Geniculata) today and she is about 2-2.5 inches long or so. Her abdomen is about 3/4 inch long and she has rather large fangs. How soon should i start offering her food and of what size?

Second question is that she doesnt seem to be using her flowerpot as a hiding place, she stays out in the open lots, climbing on the walls and roof of the pet-pal, and since i have put dirt ramps onto the top of the sideways flowerpot and dirt ontop of it for her to climb up onto she always just sits up there. Is it normal for a T not to use the provided hiding spot?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Correction

Correction, she is 3 inches long from front to back.

Thanks

Mark

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Mark ! In general cricket size should be about the size of the spider's abdomen. If you use mealworms , maybe slightly longer then half the t's length. As for when to feed , A day or two should be fine after arrival. I think it helps to calm them down also as maybe they think they are in a productive (prey rich) environment. Its not uncommon for a new T to act unsettled for a couple of days, then they usually settle in to their new home. This is also common when you clean a cage sometimes. Sounds like a great spider ! Keep us posted how you both are doing!
minax

MVPCrawford

Arachnopeon
Hi Mark:

I got my 1st 4 today, and only 1 of the 4 is actually using the pot- so I am experiencing the exact same thing.

The adult female b.vagans seems to be the most restless by far, trying to push off the top and climbing all over the walls.

I was impatient, so I tried feeding today. The restless a.anax didn't eat, but the other 3 did. In fact, my new 4" female juvenile b.vagans ate NINE crickets today! My smaller 2.5" b.pallidum and 2.5" a.moderatum each took out two.

The a.moderatum killed the crickets about 8 hours ago, and is just now eating them :)

So I'd say go ahead and feed soon :)

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks guys, i think in a day or 2 i will make my way over to the pet store and buy some crickets for her. She is a great little spider and i cant wait until she begins to grow!

Mark