how small to sex a T?

DeTwan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most can be sexed once they are around 3". But you must have a molt...visually sexing the abdomn is quite hard to do at that size.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
depends on what you have to examine the exuvium. if you have access to a microscope, you can find out what sex the t is at quite a small size. i have a magnifying lens that allows me to get a nice close up look, and i have been able to sex younger ts thanks to it..but not as small as you can figure out with a microscope. if you have nothing other than eyes and a camera..the larger it gets, the easier it is, and i'd say the spermathecae get easily visible to the eye at around 3"

Ericboy

Arachnopeon
ok.. thanks.. i always have a hard time opening an exhuvium of a T arnd 2" less, i always end up ripping it apart :wall:

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
ok.. thanks.. i always have a hard time opening an exhuvium of a T arnd 2" less, i always end up ripping it apart :wall:
think soap and alcohol solution (lens cleaner is my favorite) and dissecting needles and tweezers,
A stereo-microscope at 20X-40X works wonders,
I have sexed T's at 1-1.5 inches.

at this size though I make "guesstimates" since sometimes the Uterus externus and spermathecae might not be present at smaller sizes.