How safe are fake plants?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Screenshot_20200521-025032.jpg

Sorry guys, but I time traveled to the future, The Grym Reaper, CommanderBacon and Coradams are going to post here.

The fake plants that they will suggest you are a total rubbish 😂😂😂😂😂😂

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Plastic/Silk or both? Do you bother rinsing/washing them?
For silk plants I would, sometimes dye can leach out.

Never had issues with plastic. Then again even if I had plastic in there, and one day I find my T dead, NO ONE here would know plastic plants killed their T.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
Sorry guys my anxiety and bi polar disorder has really gotten the best of me lately as I moved a week before covid hit and no Dr.'s are seeing new patients and.....its just a mess.
Ok....so, this is none of my business and you can feel free to tell me to go get bent but.....I would try calling the local Dept. of Social Services (or if you have a local Crisis Services line). You may also want to see if there's a psychiatric ER in your area. Obviously that's expensive, but they should be able to help you out until stuff reopens. The DSS should be your first step though.
Said my bit, shutting up now.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The person I get the kits from got back to me and said he gets the plants from various places but does wash them and since covid even UV treats them. So I guess thats a good thing.

As far as sharp plants, like I said the sharpest points would be like a toothbrush bristle.

Everything sound OK? OR should I go about making some changes?

Sorry guys my anxiety and bi polar disorder has really gotten the best of me lately as I moved a week before covid hit and no Dr.'s are seeing new patients and.....its just a mess.

I just want to do right by all my 8 legged friends :(

Thanks for input!
If you are bi polar, stay away from metallic pieces, they will hurt you. A little bit of dark scientific humor to brighten the day 😜

You don't need to apologize in any way, this situation can be stressfull to anyone, so don't worry. We are here for helping each other, if you need anything or if you have any question ask without any hesitation.

As I stated above, if the plant doesn't stink (toxic fumes) and doesn't hurt you, surely it won't hurt your T. You only need to choose your favorite one.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
You sort of answered your own question. You say you do not wash them off or anything prior to using them. Well, if you do wash everything off with soap and water prior to using, then you have no question in your mind that they are good to go. If you think any of the plants are too sharp, just take a pair of scissors and round them off.

platikum

Arachnopeon
I've been using artificial plants in my tarantula enclosures for the past four months, and they've been completely safe. I have a big female and plan to introduce a male soon. The artificial plants enhance the aesthetic and provide hiding spots and climbing structures for my tarantulas. They've shown no signs of distress or health issues, so I feel confident that fake plants are a safe and beneficial addition to their habitat.

Scoot

Arachnopeon
I like the Exo Terra barrel cactus - it looks perfectly realistic but the spines are actually rather soft and floppy. I like to imagine it gives my Ts a little tickle. o_O

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
As long as they are safe artificial plants are fine. I don't use them for my tarantulas but I do use them in other enclosures such as my Latrodectus spp.

platikum

Arachnopeon
I love the Exo Terra barrel cactus! It looks realistic, but the soft, floppy spines are a great touch. I like to imagine it gives my Ts a little tickle too. Faux plants like this are perfect for adding a natural vibe without any risk!

caddude

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
These are thoughts I've never had before and have crossed my mind after reading old threads.

In almost all of my enclosures, I use plastic plants. They come in "kits" from Etsy along with the pre drilled AMAC boxes I use along with substrate/moss etc.

I honestly don't know where they come from and I've used them without ever thinking of rinsing them >doh<

Is this something that I should be worried about?

Also some of them have very flimsy pointy edges to them. I'm also wondering if those are safe to use or dangers to terrestrial tarantulas?

My last and final question is that I recently bought an exo terra brand vine for my new GBB that will be here in a week, so I have time to wash that out if need be. Is it safe because its exo terra?

Sorry for the 3 part question. Appreciate the help. "/
I buy the aquarium plants, as they are usually a good deal in bulk packaging, and get soft plastic. I figure, that they must be safe for fish, Tarantula's are safe too...