How often do you retry breeding?

JaleelJuice

Arachnopeon
If you get what appear to be successful insertions on a pairing attempt, do you retry a week or so later until you see signs of an eggsac? Thanks in advance

Liquifin

Arachnoking
No. If you see one good insertion then that is good enough already. Anymore attempts is just risking the male getting eaten.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
A related question that I hoped this thread was about

How often do you retry breeding if you don't have a successful insertion?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
A related question that I hoped this thread was about

How often do you retry breeding if you don't have a successful insertion?
You could try again the next day. Depends on how/why there was a failure. You might need to consider altering your strategy, e.g. shark-tanking [or doing it for longer], introducing the female on the male's turf, disturbing the spiders less in advance, etc.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
You could try again the next day. Depends on how/why there was a failure. You might need to consider altering your strategy, e.g. shark-tanking [or doing it for longer], introducing the female on the male's turf, disturbing the spiders less in advance, etc.
I got a male who’s sperm webbing in the shark tank but him and female don’t seem to be interested at the same time. I’ve tried 5 times now and nada

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I got a male who’s sperm webbing in the shark tank but him and female don’t seem to be interested at the same time. I’ve tried 5 times now and nada
5 times, hmm... What species? Are you sure the female is mature and not about to molt? Is the male dancing/drumming when he gets on her web, and she chases him off? or ignores him? And you're certain of the matching species identification? Sorry, just troubleshooting here.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
5 times, hmm... What species? Are you sure the female is mature and not about to molt? Is the male dancing/drumming when he gets on her web, and she chases him off? or ignores him? And you're certain of the matching species identification? Sorry, just troubleshooting here.
Yup…A seemanni. Female molted 2 months ago, male matured in July. The male drums and the female ignores him. A few times, she drums but he scurries off when she gets near him. They have drummed at each other a few times and even both drummed through the shark cage. He successfully bred with another female before I bought him

088BD721-6595-4BE7-A167-A4AE4152E8A4.jpeg

Actually right now I just had to split them up, they were locked up, both had fangs out. But I was able to get them apart, I put him back in the shark tank though because I don’t think he got an insertion

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Actually right now I just had to split them up, they were locked up, both had fangs out. But I was able to get them apart, I put him back in the shark tank though because I don’t think he got an insertion
Hmm... you're sure he's never gotten any insertions?
I wonder if you might get a sac down the road, that she's refusing him because he's already gotten her? ...but that's not what you think. Maybe someone else has suggestions.
Nice looking couple.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Hmm... you're sure he's never gotten any insertions?
I wonder if you might get a sac down the road, that she's refusing him because she's already been fertilized? ...but that's not what you think. Maybe someone else has suggestions.
Nice looking couple.
He might have just got it in tonight, but all of the other pairings I really don’t think so but thank you! Hopefully it works out one way or another

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I've always had good results with doing a web swap about a day prior.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
So why have you never tried just a normal breeding attempt? Why is it always shark tank method? Do you just not value males enough?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
So why have you never tried just a normal breeding attempt? Why is it always shark tank method? Do you just not value males enough?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this...I feel like maybe you misunderstand what shark tanking means.

What does shark tanking mean to you?

What is a normal breeding attempt?

I introduced the male into the females enclosure, they didn't pair. I then put him in an enclosed container within the females enclosure, so they would notice each other, but he would be safe from being eaten.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I don't understand how shark tanking indicates a lack of value assigned to males. Doesn't that phrase refer to the practice of putting the male, while contained in another smaller enclosure, into the female enclosure? To me, that seems like a great way to let them "get to know each other"

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this...I feel like maybe you misunderstand what shark tanking means.

What does shark tanking mean to you?

What is a normal breeding attempt?

I introduced the male into the females enclosure, they didn't pair. I then put him in an enclosed container within the females enclosure, so they would notice each other, but he would be safe from being eaten.
You beat me to it! I think this must just be a misunderstanding of the definition of shark tanking