Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

How often can I handle my chilean rose hair?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by driller212, Jan 12, 2010.

1. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Advertisement
    Yeah, 6 years ago:)

2. MrsHaas

MrsHaas Arachnoangel Active Member

Yeah you're right… Usually I just throw up I mem yeah you're right… Usually I just throw up a meme

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. PurpleSkydiver

PurpleSkydiver Arachnopeon

USA
    I just bought a Chilean rose hair tarantula. How long does she need to acclimate before I can handle her??

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  4. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

This is, hands down, the truly 'Peanut Million Dollar' question.

Only Moakmeister knows, for that he (unlike me) continue to walk the 'light side' path when it comes to Peanut :-s

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  5. PurpleSkydiver

USA
    I'm so confused....

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chris LXXIX

:kiss: just 'Peanut' jokes

Seriously, now :angelic:
    handle her today, or within 5 years... doesn't matter: she wouldn't acclimate. Handling is in all honesty useless, an issue where 'Pro' doesn't exists. If you want to handle, handle, but your Theraphosidae will receive nothing from that :-s

• Like Like x 2
  7. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Most keepers here discourage handling for a few reasons:

-Tarantulas are fragile. Even a short drop can rupture their abdomens.
    -Tarantulas are unpredictable in general. Even the most docile species can decide to zoom and fall faster than you can react if it gets spooked by something.
    -If you do get bitten, it ranges in unpleasantness from 'like a bee sting' to 'two large nails going into my hand' to 'emergency room visit.' Also, your natural reaction is to fling the tarantula away, resulting in a huge fall and probably a dead tarantula.
    -Tarantulas cannot get tamer the way something with a more advanced brain can, so there is no benefit to handling for the tarantula...only risk.

In my opinion, tarantulas are a lot like tropical fish. You enjoy feeding them, watching them do stuff, and seeing their colors and patterns, but you don't touch. Lots of other pets are better candidates for handling.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. PurpleSkydiver

USA
    Thank you everyone for your info! Very helpful!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Goodlukwitthat

Goodlukwitthat Arachnoknight

VA
    Woooo zombie thread! It died and came back :D WHYYYYYYYYYYY do ppl always have to hold things????? Ya know... it's all fun and games until you get a nice wet/dry bite...and your auto reflexes make you jerk....and your tarantula has now learned to fly across the room.... Or ya know... it bolts/jumps away from you never to be seen again..... becoming a new toy for your cat or dog... or in some cases your toddler child..... why even take the risk? Think of it like a fish....it's best to just admire :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. PurpleSkydiver

USA
    Geeez I get it! I will admire through glass. Calm down now!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Goodlukwitthat

VA
    I'm just giving you legit scenarios of what could happen. If you're hell bent on handling, that's your T that may or may not die/have an accident. Not my money spent to replace said Ts.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Chris LXXIX

So cynic yet so wise: just like that man that, back then on Titanic, was late as hell so he killed that old Lady using her walking stick, robbed her dress, reached the lifeboat and saved his butt: the triumph of the Belle Époque.

His last words, directed to a failed painter with water on his chest were: "Good luck with that!" :kiss:

• Award Award x 1
  13. Goodlukwitthat

VA

Hahaha that was just the greatest thing I've ever read XD

• Love Love x 1
  14. PurpleSkydiver

USA
    I'll leave you guys to your inside jokes. Enjoy the sausage party! I'm out!

15. Kendricks

Kendricks Arachnosquire

This is so sad on so many levels, I'm not certain where to start. Maybe I rather don't comment at all...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Only in a fool's mind is trying to prevent the needless death of an animal considered trolling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  17. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

lol... some people are so defensive..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Moakmeister

Moakmeister Arachnobaron

You forgot to tag me, pleb. Luckily I'm on this site a lot.

Or they could just keep their hand inside the tarantula's enclosure thus eliminating any and all possibility of a fall or an escape by your fault, because it's the same chance of it getting out whether it's on your hand or not, because the lid is open either way. Or just don't handle. That's gonna be my approach to this debate.

Now, if the tarantula climbs out of the enclosure onto your hand on its own, there's nothing you can really do there. The tarantula made the decision to walk onto your hand, so I guess just try to get the T to go back in. But if that's how it starts, then it's still your fault if it gets hurt, but you can at least say "hey, I legitimately didn't want to handle it. I'm not an irresponsible owner."

• Love Love x 1
  19. PurpleSkydiver

USA
    Oh forgive me for not understanding incoherent ramblings about the Titanic. My question was answered, but still people need to add their two cents. I get it, it's not to be handled. Big <edit> deal, I'm not going to kill the poor thing for my own amusement. Jesus Christ!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
    • Love Love x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

English is not Chris's first language. he was just messing around. you just, ah, seemed to freak out a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.