How often can I handle my chilean rose hair?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm so confused....
:kiss: just 'Peanut' jokes

Seriously, now :angelic:
handle her today, or within 5 years... doesn't matter: she wouldn't acclimate. Handling is in all honesty useless, an issue where 'Pro' doesn't exists. If you want to handle, handle, but your Theraphosidae will receive nothing from that :-s

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Most keepers here discourage handling for a few reasons:

-Tarantulas are fragile. Even a short drop can rupture their abdomens.
-Tarantulas are unpredictable in general. Even the most docile species can decide to zoom and fall faster than you can react if it gets spooked by something.
-If you do get bitten, it ranges in unpleasantness from 'like a bee sting' to 'two large nails going into my hand' to 'emergency room visit.' Also, your natural reaction is to fling the tarantula away, resulting in a huge fall and probably a dead tarantula.
-Tarantulas cannot get tamer the way something with a more advanced brain can, so there is no benefit to handling for the tarantula...only risk.

In my opinion, tarantulas are a lot like tropical fish. You enjoy feeding them, watching them do stuff, and seeing their colors and patterns, but you don't touch. Lots of other pets are better candidates for handling.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Woooo zombie thread! It died and came back :D WHYYYYYYYYYYY do ppl always have to hold things????? Ya know... it's all fun and games until you get a nice wet/dry bite...and your auto reflexes make you jerk....and your tarantula has now learned to fly across the room.... Or ya know... it bolts/jumps away from you never to be seen again..... becoming a new toy for your cat or dog... or in some cases your toddler child..... why even take the risk? Think of it like a fish....it's best to just admire :D

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
I'm just giving you legit scenarios of what could happen. If you're hell bent on handling, that's your T that may or may not die/have an accident. Not my money spent to replace said Ts.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not my money spent to replace said Ts.
So cynic yet so wise: just like that man that, back then on Titanic, was late as hell so he killed that old Lady using her walking stick, robbed her dress, reached the lifeboat and saved his butt: the triumph of the Belle Époque.

His last words, directed to a failed painter with water on his chest were: "Good luck with that!" :kiss:

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
So cynic yet so wise: just like that man that, back then on Titanic, was late as hell so he killed that old Lady using her walking stick, robbed her dress, reached the lifeboat and saved his butt: the triumph of the Belle Époque.

His last words, directed to a failed painter with water on his chest were: "Good luck with that!" :kiss:

Hahaha that was just the greatest thing I've ever read XD

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Read his very first sentence. He is asking how often. Not if he should or shouldn't. Seems pretty darn clear to me what he is asking.

When people that have been in the hobby for awhile tells somebody new not to handle when they ask how often only ends with people whispering other newbies like me (not that it was a problem that you whispered me person that whispered me, because I enjoyed helping) and asking them because the people that have been around won't answer them, but instead simple say "don't hold them".

So you can +1 or -1 me all you wish. Bottom line is this. You people that have been here awhile that simple come in and say "don't handle at all" aren't helping us newbies at all. We are left to figure out on our own how often is too often with handling.

What's really funny is you come in and judge everybody else post, but help none yourself with input. Stop trolling.
This is so sad on so many levels, I'm not certain where to start. Maybe I rather don't comment at all...

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
This is, hands down, the truly 'Peanut Million Dollar' question.

Only Moakmeister knows, for that he (unlike me) continue to walk the 'light side' path when it comes to Peanut :-s
You forgot to tag me, pleb. Luckily I'm on this site a lot.

Woooo zombie thread! It died and came back :D WHYYYYYYYYYYY do ppl always have to hold things????? Ya know... it's all fun and games until you get a nice wet/dry bite...and your auto reflexes make you jerk....and your tarantula has now learned to fly across the room.... Or ya know... it bolts/jumps away from you never to be seen again..... becoming a new toy for your cat or dog... or in some cases your toddler child..... why even take the risk? Think of it like a fish....it's best to just admire :D
Or they could just keep their hand inside the tarantula's enclosure thus eliminating any and all possibility of a fall or an escape by your fault, because it's the same chance of it getting out whether it's on your hand or not, because the lid is open either way. Or just don't handle. That's gonna be my approach to this debate.

Now, if the tarantula climbs out of the enclosure onto your hand on its own, there's nothing you can really do there. The tarantula made the decision to walk onto your hand, so I guess just try to get the T to go back in. But if that's how it starts, then it's still your fault if it gets hurt, but you can at least say "hey, I legitimately didn't want to handle it. I'm not an irresponsible owner."

PurpleSkydiver

Arachnopeon
Oh forgive me for not understanding incoherent ramblings about the Titanic. My question was answered, but still people need to add their two cents. I get it, it's not to be handled. Big <edit> deal, I'm not going to kill the poor thing for my own amusement. Jesus Christ!

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Oh forgive me for not understanding incoherent ramblings about the Titanic. My question was answered, but still people need to add their two cents. I get it, it's not to be handled. Big <edit> deal, I'm not going to kill the poor thing for my own amusement. Jesus Christ!
English is not Chris's first language. he was just messing around. you just, ah, seemed to freak out a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: