How much water do I add using a funnel to the substrate for an Aphonopelma seemanni?

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
I was advised to pour water down the side of the enclosure, but all it does is bounce all over the surface. I am using straight peat moss. It is around 9 inches of substrate. It is hard to judge how much water is too much using a funnel. How much water would you advise? So far, I have been adding water in the four corners of her enclosure. The water on the surface level is due to her getting in her water dish and getting water everywhere.

thumbnail_20180519_192036.jpg thumbnail_20180525_001111.jpg thumbnail_20180525_000250.jpg thumbnail_20180525_000235.jpg

Last edited:

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
If the peat moss is packed down (as substrate for burrowers should), it will not soak through readily especially if the surface isn’t moist. Water will gather on the surface and will take a minute or two to start seeping down.

I suggest to use the handle of a paintbrush and poke down as deep as you can in a corner of the enclosure. This will grant access to the moistened gradient of the 9” substrate you provided, causing the pouring water to easily disperse through the substrate.

edit: I would pour water to the corner until an inch or two of the bottom layer has been moistened. Let it dry before adding more. As your tarantula burrows, it will dry the bottom layer quicker than before it starts burrowing.

Hope this helps! :)

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
If the peat moss is packed down (as substrate for burrowers should), it will not soak through readily especially if the surface isn’t moist. Water will gather on the surface and will take a minute or two to start seeping down.

I suggest to use the handle of a paintbrush and poke down as deep as you can in a corner of the enclosure. This will grant access to the moistened gradient of the 9” substrate you provided, causing the pouring water to easily disperse through the substrate.

Hope this helps! :)
Thank you the advice. I am also wondering if it is far too much moisture in the sub in pic #2.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Thank you the advice. I am also wondering if it is far too much moisture in the sub in pic #2.
I think that’s perfect! I can tell water has recently been given because of the lack of visible moist layer. Leave it be for now and allow the moisture to even out horizontally.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
What you can do to make the water go straight to the bottom (instead of pooling on the surface) is to push the sides of the container outwards from the inside slightly as you pour the water in (obviously this won't work for glass enclosures but it's great for plastic), it'll all soak into the bottom while leaving the surface relatively dry. I find that more effective than poking holes in the sub.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I just set up all my enclosures for everything as or like a false bottom set up, just add a tube or two when putting the substrate in and the water is added straight to the bottom. Once you've had it set up for a while you know "X"ml of water every week/month/etc is the usual amount needed. No need to get it exact anyway as the animal will just dig deeper as it dries, if I see fresh substrate at the burrow entrance I know it's time to add water.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
As far as the title goes you don't need to much water in there, just enough that you can see the bottom layers are wet pretty much.

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
I overflow my A seemanni water dish once a week. I also used a mixture of vermiculite, peat moss, organic potting soil (no fertilizer or anything added) and pool filtration sand. I use the filtration sand, because it is sifted for a particular grain size. Adding the vermiculite and sand to the mix allows the water to seep into the substrate easily. And vermiculite holds moisture and releases it over time as the substrate dries.

cold blood

Staff member
I just set up all my enclosures for everything as or like a false bottom set up, just add a tube or two when putting the substrate in and the water is added straight to the bottom. Once you've had it set up for a while you know "X"ml of water every week/month/etc is the usual amount needed. No need to get it exact anyway as the animal will just dig deeper as it dries, if I see fresh substrate at the burrow entrance I know it's time to add water.
I overflow my A seemanni water dish once a week. I also used a mixture of vermiculite, peat moss, organic potting soil (no fertilizer or anything added) and pool filtration sand. I use the filtration sand, because it is sifted for a particular grain size. Adding the vermiculite and sand to the mix allows the water to seep into the substrate easily. And vermiculite holds moisture and releases it over time as the substrate dries.
A lot of extra and unnecessary work.

Amazing that I can use just plain top soil dumped in and watered and never have a single issue...lol.

People love to over-think the completely basic concept of damp substrate.:rolleyes:

MikeofBorg

Arachnosquire
A lot of extra and unnecessary work.

Amazing that I can use just plain top soil dumped in and watered and never have a single issue...lol.

People love to over-think the completely basic concept of damp substrate.:rolleyes:
Guilty as charged, I do over think things. Should have seen my koi pond debacle. LOL