How much should I ask for adult GBB

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and consider the fact that the market may not support your sales.. and so many ppl could have sacs of an "expensive" species that when u have some for sale they arent worth much at all :)

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
GET OUTTA HERE?! you mean i could spend 800 for a guranteed female p.metallica and 300 for a male.....she could have an eggsac with 200 nymphs...which sell for 175-225 per 1" sling....that equals out to a profit?! NO WAY!!! man...i knew i should have paid more attention in math class!{D :D

Lets do the REAL math for you.

1 Female P, metallica 800 +shipping
1 Male P. metallica 300 + shipping

Ok now let add $100 a year for up keep.

Now as far as I know about 30 attempts have been made last year to mate. Only about 4 where successful.

Do the math. Lets say that you do not have to wait until the female molts and try again.

Here is the math.

800 for female
300 for male x 30= 9800 total

Now if you are a professional breeder you will be able to sale them at 150. If you are a hobbiest breeder, like everyone that has bother with is thread. You will get about 30-50 apiece mostly in trade in. Let us say that you are better then swifty in breeding and care and get 200 in one sack.

Death rates are high so you will get about 130 after 3 molt.

540(4 sacks) x 30
You just made 16000 for all 4 sacks, mostly in trades. You made only 6,200 bucks for one year. For the whole year.

Now dropping 540 slings on the street will drop the price below 100 bucks so you will get about 25 buck for one,

This is best case. Not what well happen.

If you think it is then you have not tried it. Trust me. It is not worth it.

I would make 10000 bucks in one month of honest work, not becoming a slave to the spiders.

I not saying that professional breeders make money, I'm saying you are not going to do it. Ask verden how much she makes off her sack it will shock you.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Exactly what I'm talking about

You guys are under estimating the difficulties and costs of breeding
tarantulas. You can hardly call it a hobby that pays for itself.

-Sean

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
omg there is money in this? You can actually make money in this hobby?
Yes, you can make money in this hobby.

You guys are under estimating the difficulties and costs of breeding
tarantulas. You can hardly call it a hobby that pays for itself.

-Sean

The phrase "thats where the money is" was in reference to why an adult cost so much more than a juvie which is what rYe had a problem understanding. I said nothing about making a living out of it like TheDarkFinder was insinuating from my quote. I see Botar's operation a couple of times a month out of his house so I know what's involved. I know that I don't want the headaches that he has to deal with. If the thread came to this, originating from my quote, I was misinterpreted. Hopefully, after all this, the thread can now get back on topic.

Last edited:

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To answer the original question:

I sell female GBB for $100 when I have them available (Which is rare)

In Response To Making Money In Tarantula Breeding (The Hobby):

As a breeder/seller/keeper: I believe money can be made at breeding.

IMO: However, in reality it's a odds and numbers game. Business is hot and cold at times but, it is hard work.

Sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to breed and raise tarantulas but, the challenge is finding a way to market the species produced and find the time to feed and maintain hundreds or thousands of babies/juveniles/sub adults/adults or what you are selling or keeping.

Brian

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL it's amazing how fast things get blown outta proportion.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Let me just clear it up for you.

You can't make money off this 'hobby'. Botar (Charles) doesn't do it as a 'hobby'. He runs a business. You can make money if you operate right.

But being a hobbyist, you won't. Ask Eric Reynolds, (GoTerps). He breeds 'em by the dozens, including many rarer species. I doubt he's making much money off it in the long run.

-Sean

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Let me just clear it up for you.

You can't make money off this 'hobby'. Botar (Charles) doesn't do it as a 'hobby'. He runs a business. You can make money if you operate right.

But being a hobbyist, you won't. Ask Eric Reynolds, (GoTerps). He breeds 'em by the dozens, including many rarer species. I doubt he's making much money off it in the long run.

-Sean
You dont have to clear it up. I dont have an issue with any thing your saying. I just dont get how we got to this point from my "thats where the money is" quote. When this started, I said nothing about making a living off of breeding, hobby or business. I don't care. This conversation does not nor did it ever include me because I never said anything about it. You said what you had to say and I respect that. Let's move on.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Talking to Rye, sorry man. No prob.

I don't see what else there is to discuss in this thread.

-Sean

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lets do the REAL math for you.

1 Female P, metallica 800 +shipping
1 Male P. metallica 300 + shipping

Ok now let add $100 a year for up keep.

Now as far as I know about 30 attempts have been made last year to mate. Only about 4 where successful.

Do the math. Lets say that you do not have to wait until the female molts and try again.

Here is the math.

800 for female
300 for male x 30= 9800 total

Now if you are a professional breeder you will be able to sale them at 150. If you are a hobbiest breeder, like everyone that has bother with is thread. You will get about 30-50 apiece mostly in trade in. Let us say that you are better then swifty in breeding and care and get 200 in one sack.

Death rates are high so you will get about 130 after 3 molt.

540(4 sacks) x 30
You just made 16000 for all 4 sacks, mostly in trades. You made only 6,200 bucks for one year. For the whole year.

Now dropping 540 slings on the street will drop the price below 100 bucks so you will get about 25 buck for one,

This is best case. Not what well happen.

If you think it is then you have not tried it. Trust me. It is not worth it.

I would make 10000 bucks in one month of honest work, not becoming a slave to the spiders.

I not saying that professional breeders make money, I'm saying you are not going to do it. Ask verden how much she makes off her sack it will shock you.
i guess that would be YOUR math...and YOUR situation. however mine is a little different. i work with a local exotic pet store and they work with dealers and breeders. the males wouldnt cost me ANYTHING as they would be loaners from said breeders and dealers. secondly....they would move the slings for alot more than 50-75 bucks a piece. not to mention that Michael Jacobi lives about 30 mins. away from me and im QUITE SURE he would have NO PROBLEM moving 1000 P. Metallica slings...let alone a few hundred. my point is this....if you are using the above calculations as a GENERALIZATION for most hobbists...thats very understandable...and true! but what you have to remember is that different people have different situations in which there CAN be money made...even as a hobbist.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Tell you what man. Prove us wrong. Lets see you breed P. metallica, and others. Lets see you make money off this.

-Sean

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well thanks for clearing that up, I look at stuff from a pet owners point of view. I really don't have any T breeding plans so I never considered that as a factor.

i guess that would be YOUR math...and YOUR situation. however mine is a little different. i work with a local exotic pet store and they work with dealers and breeders. the males wouldnt cost me ANYTHING as they would be loaners from said breeders and dealers. secondly....they would move the slings for alot more than 50-75 bucks a piece. not to mention that Michael Jacobi lives about 30 mins. away from me and im QUITE SURE he would have NO PROBLEM moving 1000 P. Metallica slings...let alone a few hundred. my point is this....if you are using the above calculations as a GENERALIZATION for most hobbists...thats very understandable...and true! but what you have to remember is that different people have different situations in which there CAN be money made...even as a hobbist.
Not to keep this one going but what the heck! I know a lady who breeds ferets (different then T's I know but the same idea.) She "works closely" with several pet shops in a two city radius. When it's all said and done she makes very little profit and does it for the fun of it. Your situation may be different so that's awsome, if you can manage to make this work more power to you bro.