How much heat

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
does a T give off? I don’t know, and probably not enough for this gadget. But if they do, this would help people find their T

KenNet

Arachnosquire
If the T moves, it generates "heat". If it sit still, it has the same temperature as the surroundings. How sensitive the gadget is, I don't know. Probably better off to use a flashlight and see the reflection in their eyes.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
What I saw from the gadget website was: "a thermal sensitivity of 0.07°C. Flir states that the accuracy is +/-3°C or +/-5%"
O.07°C should be enough to determine if the T is combusting (right word?) food or not (it generates "heat") but with an accuracy of +/-3°C, it gets useless anyway.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
does a T give off? I don’t know, and probably not enough for this gadget. But if they do, this would help people find their T

That's a sweet gadget I actually have a need for that for other purposes. Pricey but if that could detect an escape T that would be awesome.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
...if that could detect an escape T that would be awesome.
It can not detect a runaway T.
It would be awesome, but don't waste your money. It's possible with a more sensitive and a lot more expensive "gadget" , but you're better off with a flashlight 😃

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
It can not detect a runaway T.
It would be awesome, but don't waste your money. It's possible with a more sensitive and a lot more expensive "gadget" , but you're better off with a flashlight 😃
Alright hope killer.....I'll just use my fingers then probing in dark spaces until I find my pokie...joking of course

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Alright hope killer.....I'll just use my fingers then probing in dark spaces until I find my pokie...joking of course
Or you could use your eyes and a flashlight 🔦 since a thermal detector within a sensible range of cost will not help anyway. Hmmm...there might be another type of gadget that can be of good use though.
😃

a t shouldnt be producing much heat at all.
What do you regard as "much"?
See my posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

KenNet

Arachnosquire
As an ectothermic creature, a ts temp is based (determined) upon its surrounding temps...they do not create heat.
When they digest food, or move, they do create (produce) "heat" because of the nature of physics.

The OP question was how much and if the gadget could detect the difference. I gave a clear and valid answer.

cold blood

Staff member
When they digest food, or move, they do create (produce) "heat" because of the nature of physics.

The OP question was how much and if the gadget could detect the difference. I gave a clear and valid answer.
I am in doubt of your assessment that digestion or movement would produce enough heat to be detected.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
I am in doubt of your assessment that digestion or movement would produce enough heat to be detected.
It can be detected, but just as I said:

The OP question was how much and if the gadget in question could detect the difference.

I gave a clear and valid answer.

Read again 😃

cold blood

Staff member
It can be detected, but just as I said:

The OP question was how much and if the gadget in question could detect the difference.

I gave a clear and valid answer.

Read again 😃
You speculated, you gave zero definitive evidence of the amount of heat, if any, such things as digestion could produce.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
You speculated, you gave zero definitive evidence of the amount of heat, if any, such things as digestion could produce.
I don't speculate. It's common physics laws.
It's the OP who ask how much heat a T give off and if there's a gadget to detect this.

I have given a valid answer.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Glad to bring a laugh 🤣
Rub your hand...All moves about molecules generate heat. It can be measured in very fine degrees. It would be to long to explain elementary physics here, but please use Google to find out more if you are actually interested outside the world of spiders. It's available for all.

cold blood

Staff member
Glad to bring a laugh 🤣
Rub your hand...All moves about molecules generate heat. It can be measured in very fine degrees. It would be to long to explain elementary physics here, but please use Google to find out more if you are actually interested outside the world of spiders. It's available for all.
Again, I was NOT saying you were wrong, I was asking you to show proof that it would be enough to see thermally....TX did that by showing it in a thermal image...thank you AphonopelmaTX..

You use that rubbing your hand......this was precisely my point....rub slowly, or not a lot, and the heat generated is minimal, to really generate heat, one would need to rub continually. I still doubt such friction would exist, and judging by the thermal images of the snake, that would move significantly more than a t, I saw the snake producing zero heat...it was black.

The image of the t, clearly showed what you were saying (which is all I was asking for), as the abdomen was indeed, exhibiting enough heat to pick up thermally.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
All atomic or molecule movement generates heat. This movement is the core definition of temperature and independent of what gadget we use to measure this movement. Thus the movement of a spider eating or moving cause a rise in temperature. Not significant, but that was not the question. A infrared camera is helpful and more exact than, say a Hg thermometer. The gadget matters, but very few have access to such gadget. The physics is still the same though.

The Op asked a question that I answered.
I didn't speculate as you suggested.