How much do you wholesale what for?

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry...

Sorry that your thread became wayward :( Unfortunately that does tend to happen here... One person disagrees with another and takes your thread for a ride... I was guilty of it in a prior thread and I am going to make it a personal goal to maintain the purpose of future threads. It is difficult when people attempt to besmirch, discredit, or completely disrespect you and not say anything in response, although not a defense, that's what usually throws threads into disarray. Anyway, I'm glad I was of assistance, I hope your endeavors prove fruitful!

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
man... it never ceases to amaze me how arrogant people are on these boards.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
man... it never ceases to amaze me how arrogant people are on these boards.
:? How is stating the obvious a display of arrogance? If you don't want a bunch of slings, don't breed them. Especially tarantulas that will produce thousands of them.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your post adds nothing to the conversation, and comes off as flippant.

Anyway... this thread really needs to die at this point, before it sinks any lower. Thanks again to the people who offered real advice about getting into breeding. Anyone should feel free to PM me if they want to add anything.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have never bred before,and still want to give it a shot,start with somehting easy,like avic's or obt's.Smaller sacks,EASY to breed,and pretty easy to get rid of,for the most part. Then you can decide if you want to continue breeding,or focus your efforts elsewhere.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Your post adds nothing to the conversation, and comes off as flippant.

Anyway... this thread really needs to die at this point, before it sinks any lower. Thanks again to the people who offered real advice about getting into breeding. Anyone should feel free to PM me if they want to add anything.
My post added common sense to the conversation. I'm sorry if it came across as flippant.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
My post added common sense to the conversation. I'm sorry if it came across as flippant.
proper_tea, you need to lighten up. His post had a valid point... it seems a bit disingenuous for you to "want to breed" for "the experience", but not want to get "stuck with slings".

Well... that's kind of like saying you want to have unprotected sex, but you really don't want to deal with a baby... honestly, if you're breeding "for the experience", then just throw the slings in the freezer or something if you can't be bothered.

Someone mentioning that it seems strange that you feel compelled to breed your spiders, yet find the thought of excess slings distasteful, and even annoyingly inconvenient, is justified... maybe you really DON'T need "the experience", if the byproducts of such are so inconvenient and non-profitable in your eyes?

Just saying... he had a valid point, no "arrogance" required....

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it seems a bit disingenuous for you to "want to breed" for "the experience", but not want to get "stuck with slings".
I have to say, MrI, that the way you are quoting me here is misrepresenting what I have said, which is surprising to me, because (though we may disagree) I don't normally think of you as a dishonest person.

That being said, I don't see what's disingenuous about the way I am approaching getting into breeding. What I'm trying to do is go into breeding in a way that is responsible, knowing my limitations. Those are as follows:

1) I don't want to sell the slings individually
2) I would prefer not to lose money
3) I can't reasonably add 1,000 slings indefinitely to my collection, and still be able to care for them responsibly.

If these are my limitations, certainly then there are some species it makes sense to breed, and some it doesn't. It also then makes sense for me to be asking for advice on how to wholesale to dealers, and what species I may have the most success doing that with.

Tell me what is disingenuous about that.

Well... that's kind of like saying you want to have unprotected sex, but you really don't want to deal with a baby... honestly, if you're breeding "for the experience", then just throw the slings in the freezer or something if you can't be bothered.
You keep putting "scare quotes" around "for the experience" like it's a morally bankrupt reason to do something. I hate to break it to you, but we're all in this hobby "for the experience." We enjoy the experience of keeping large (mostly) inverts as pets. There is no great altruism to it. In fact, in some cases (especially with wc species) it's morally questionable.

As far as your suggestion that I put the slings in the freezer... Are you trying to say that I don't want to take responsibility for the slings because I want to wholesale them? I know very few people who would get, say, a parahybana sac and say "great... 1000 LPs, I can't wait to raise all of these to adulthood. I've got plenty of room for them, and plenty of time to give them proper care." No. So your options are to either sell them individually, or wholesale them to dealers. I don't see how wholesaling is any less responsible than selling them individually, and I don't see how either can be equated with putting them in the freezer.

I did pick up some valuable info in this thread, which I think will help me to be successful in breeding responsibly and wholesaling successfully. For example, of H gigas, P cancerides, and P formosa (three females I was considering breeding), the market for H gigas and P cancerides is saturated, and these may be difficult to wholesale. However, P formosa is desirable, and should be pretty easy to wholesale.

If asking questions to learn this kind of information from the many more experienced keepers on these boards is disingenuous, then guilty as charged.

Someone mentioning that it seems strange that you feel compelled to breed your spiders, yet find the thought of excess slings distasteful, and even annoyingly inconvenient, is justified... maybe you really DON'T need "the experience", if the byproducts of such are so inconvenient and non-profitable in your eyes?
Again, here you are completely misrepresenting what I have said in this thread. Show me where I have said that I "find the thought of excess slings distasteful, and even annoyingly inconvenient." You even try to imply that I am getting in to breeding for the profits, when I have said multiple times that I'm not so much concerned about making money doing this, as I am concerned about doing it responsibly. In fact, this whole "for the experience" thing that you keep harping on is something that I said in contrast to breeding them "for the money" (i.e. "I'm looking to do this more for the experience than for the money").

Honestly though... did you actually read this thread before you decided to completely mischaracterize what I have said in it? Because I just went back and reread the entire thing to make sure that nothing I said could be taken as what you are trying to claim I said. You know what? Nothing I said could be taken as what you are trying to claim I said.

So... what's the deal?