How much can a T lift?

Sporkman

Arachnopeon
Hey, at the moment i'm converting a hexagonal aquarium for my A.Metallica. The lid should be quite heavy so might not need to be velcro'd on. how much weight would a fully grown A.Met be able to lift? As u can imagine i wouldn't really want it escaping.

TobusRex

Arachnopeon
Hmm. Hope I can help you here. From what I understand (spiderman comic books..hehe) spiders are 10 times as strong, per gram, as humans. As a human I can benchpress 400 pounds. (I'm not superman, I weigh 300 pounds). So I weigh app. 130,000 grams and can lift app. 170,000 grams. That means per gram as a human I can lift 1.3 gram per every 1 gram of my weight, and if a spider is 10 times as strong as humans that means for each gram a spider can lift 13 grams (about a half ounce) per each gram of weight. T blondi, the biggest spider , weighs in at roughly 224 grams (8 ounces is the spider weight record as I recall), which means it could lift 2912 grams (or 104 ounces, ie 3.72 pounds).

I'm not sure what science thinks, but Stan Lee thinks you should weight down your spider with probably 4 pounds max.

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TobusRex said:
Hmm. Hope I can help you here. From what I understand (spiderman comic books..hehe) spiders are 10 times as strong, per gram, as humans. As a human I can benchpress 400 pounds. (I'm not superman, I weigh 300 pounds). So I weigh app. 130,000 grams and can lift app. 170,000 grams. That means per gram as a human I can lift 1.3 gram per every 1 gram of my weight, and if a spider is 10 times as strong as humans that means for each gram a spider can lift 13 grams (about a half ounce) per each gram of weight. T blondi, the biggest spider , weighs in at roughly 224 grams (8 ounces is the spider weight record as I recall), which means it could lift 2912 grams (or 104 ounces, ie 3.72 pounds).

I'm not sure what science thinks, but Stan Lee thinks you should weight down your spider with probably 4 pounds max.

LMAOROTF - Now that was quite entertaining

word

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
isn't that kind of like asking how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
word said:
isn't that kind of like asking how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Seven. Or at least that has always been my standard answer. Unless it's a really big woodchuck then maybe nine. :?

TobusRex

Arachnopeon
Funny you should mention that word, I'm planning on feeding small woodchucks to a T Blondi (which I will purchase inevitably).

Let's see how much wood he chucks then, dammit.

Pterinochilus

Arachnopeon
As Far as I know Hysterocrates sp and Citharischius can Lift heavy stuff compared to there size, they can lift a glass lid. The chance that a Citharischius does lift a lid is very small but I've heard some stories about Hysterocrates species that did lift glass tank lids after digging out the whole thing.

Greets
Tom.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
word said:
He would chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could, if woodchuck could chuck wood. :p

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
according to the Hitchickers guide to the galaxy you should allways assume 42 to be the right awnser

Randomosity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What.....is your name?

What......is your quest?

What....is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

oogieboogie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
PIter said:
He would chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could, if woodchuck could chuck wood. :p

close o)

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could if a woodchuck could chuck wood!

o)

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
according to the Hitchickers guide to the galaxy you should allways assume 42 to be the right awnser

The Hitch-hiker's Guide does not condone assumption, unless it's measurements for the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster, of course! :}
The answer un-equivocally 42...

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you think theres the smallest chance your T could lift up his lid, put something ontop of it. Something small and slightly heavy. Better safe than sorry right?

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw adult female rosea. She lifted a big and heavy glass and run away. It was my friends spider, he couldn't believe that it's so strong.

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
word said:
He'd chuck double with no trouble without it doing him any good. :D

I stick a few strips of masking tape on container covers in addition to weights if I' feeling really paranoid. Often do anyway when I've put a T into a new container and know spider will be seeking exits. Then once it has settled in, just trust my weights.

Randomosity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
grammostola1953 said:
The Hitch-hiker's Guide does not condone assumption, unless it's measurements for the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster, of course! :}
The answer un-equivocally 42...
Hey, do you have your towel?

Randomosity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as for weighting my lids...I was too lazy to use clips/velcro....A Statistics book and a copy of Eric Bergerund's "Fire In The Sky" (great read for those interested in aerial combat and/or the Pacific Theatre of World War II) did very nicely