How many B. smithi's

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Damn good deal, Bill. I saw some of your pic's, too - great looking T!

Dario

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I have one adult female.
I paid $150 for her, but he threw in 13 other spiders too, so it was a great deal.
She is approx 11 years old, and basically just sits in one spot for days at a time!
Beautiful girl, I bred her with a very old male last year. No molt or eggsac at this point.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
smithi count...

2 adult females 2 sub adult females and 2 slings dont really count them though as they are for sale. The other 4 are keepers however.

Phil

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One large sub-adult male, one sub-adult female, and one unsexed juvenile.

Botar

NorthwestInverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This article from the ATS will give you some insight as to why they cost so much. You can find it at : http://atshq.org/articles/cites.html . Beside their incredible beauty & general docile temperament, they are not easy to breed, get an eggsac and hatch the eggsac. The breeding part is fairly easy, a hard part is getting her to lay the eggsac. I have worked with B. smithi since the mid 1970's when their price was like G. rosea is now, and this species is what got me into the hobby so deep since then. I have successfully hatched 2 eggsacs from B. smithi and failed more than i can count.
Oh, i have more than i can count also...well ok probably 200 or so slings to adults, give or take a few.
Here is how I found out about CITES II....
I wanted to kick myself in the rear back in 1986 when i walked into a local pet store and seen an adult female B. smithi named "alice cooper", her price....$699.99. This was shortly after they were placed on CITES II and their price skyrocketed. I bought her a year later when she was more reasonably priced at $99.00. lol If I would have only known, I would have mortgaged my house to stock up on them when they were a few bucks each for adults.(I still kick myself every so often whether i need it or not)

Dean

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wow all these people with b.smithis maybe i should get one

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why

I want one so bad I cant stand it.

The two reasons that I would pay the price that they are going for these days is becuase of the size and the fact that they have such great coleration.

-Charlie

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've got two now, both juve males.

Their price is fair based on the fact that they've got increased demand both because they are one of the most beautiful Ts out there and they are THE tarantula as far as the media is largely concerned - combine that with relatively slow growth and you've got a popular, pricey T.

My second T was a B. smithi back in 1982 or '83. It was a about 2.5" juvenile female and I paid a bit more than Atavuss: $13 :) She was the T that turned me from a casual fancier of tarantulas to a genuine lover. I'm still on a mission to get another female.

Case

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have one. It's about 2.5" and I suspect that it's a male. I paid I think around $45 for it one molt ago when it was about 1.75". Most folks would think we're nuts to pay so much for a "bug," and I guess it does seem steep for a spider of that size, but I love mine and feel it was worth it.

Case

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
2 adult females and an unsexed juvey.I forget how much I paid but they didn't come cheap....peace..

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I Have A New B Smithi

What up MrT, I just got a brand new B Smithi last night at Az Reptile center. It is just over an inch big and getting ready to molt. I piad 35 for the t and another 5 dollars for a nice little cage.
Later Ernie,

Sam,

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: ernie...

Originally posted by rapunzel
she molted? :) Yay! :D
Yes "she" did. She's a real sweet T.
Thanks again.:D

Sam,
I was those down there a while back. Good for you dude, every T keeper needs a Smithi.;)

Ernie

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have one female (Kelly) :-] she came in a group I got of about 15 T for $200. Great deal. :p

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Re: I Have A New B Smithi

Originally posted by BigSam
What up MrT, I just got a brand new B Smithi last night at Az Reptile center. It is just over an inch big and getting ready to molt. I piad 35 for the t and another 5 dollars for a nice little cage.
Later Ernie,

Sam,

I bought my very first smithi from there. It was just a little bitty brown thing and I don't think I could even see the stripes at the time. I remember thinking, "how do I know I'm getting what I paid for?"

It was probably about 3/4 of an inch or so when I bought it in February of 2001. After over 2 years, it is now about 3 inches and there's no doubt it's what it should be. ;)

I think I only paid around $20 for it though. I guess the price has practically doubled over the last two years.

Have one with your smithi. It sure is wonderful to watch them grOW!!!

Wysi

Wysi

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have an adult female smithi. I've posted this pic before, but it's a nice one:} Here's the link:

Freshly molted adult female B.smithi, in full stretch.

She's pushing a six inch leg span in the above image. I bought her as a sub-adult for £75. Awsome species and one that likes to show herself off. Not skittish and no fear of being seen.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, in the furtherance of my quest for my own female B. smithi, I just ordered four little 1/4" hatchlings. If at least one of them doesn't grow up to want to wear dresses I'm going to assume I'm cursed and go seek out the tarantula shaman by the local watering hole.

That will bring the number to 6 in my collection :)

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i got a female at around 2" from Art a while back. Shes now 5". I paid $45 for her + shipping.

Dafne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yay!!! I have done this!!! :D I have bought today my first B. smithi... :} I am so excited... I have got about 20 T's now and I had no B. smithi... Until today! My new T is about 2" and looks just amazing...
Actually I bought my first T as B. smithi but after the molt it turned out to be B. emilia... :)
So, last I week I just thought it was high time to get B. smithi... :D =D
*happy dance*