How Long

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long after you got your first T did you get your second. I have had my G. rosea for three weeks and as short as i get a little money I'm to get an A. avic

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got my second T(Avicularia avicularia) a couple of months after my first(Grammostola rosea), between that I picked up a scorpion(Pandinus imperator). But now I try to average 3 new Ts every month, by either saving cash or trading/selling other Ts.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got my first T (C. cyaneopubescens) on 04/16/07 and just ordered 4 more (A. versicolor, B. albopilosum, B. smithi, and B. vagans) this morning (one for a friend I converted!). After getting one and watching it in amazement for a few days, I knew it wasn't gonna be long till I purchased more..lol.

mrsd

Arachnopeon
My daughter brought the first rosie home and about A week later I went and got my second rose....its been about three months now and I am up to eleven...lol

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got my G. Rosea first, and four days later ordered my second, a G. Pulchra.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think i bought a G. rosea and two millipedes. then for a while i caught... er, anything with more than six legs. then a few months later i bought 4 tarantulas off some dude who sold me four "unsexed" males. piece of crap.

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought my P. murinus(tan) at Petco of all places :rolleyes: then about 2-3 months later purchased a P. regalis and a P. irminia. Got out of the hobby for a while and now a few years later keep...H. lividum, P. murinus(RCF) and a H. maculata, along with a few scorpions, roaches, a centipede and of course my snakes. :)

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i'm afraid i'm more than a little out of control... :rolleyes:

A friend gave me my first T in mid April (since returning to the hobby). He/she is a 2"+ C. crawshayi. A week and a half later she picked me up two adult OBT's. A week after that i purchased 2 B. vagans, 2 B. emilia and got a freebie G. aureostriata from Ryan (talkenlate). Soon after i made an AB purchase for 6 Ps. irmina. Shortly after that i made another AB purchase from Maren (Varden) and got 2 B. albopilosum, 2 B. sabulosum, 2 more OBT's and 3 (one freebie) C. brachycephalus. Not long after i bought an awesome female P. pederseni from Travis (massmorels) and 4 A. seemanni from Jonathan came that same week. Over the past weekend i acquired a G. rosea and a B. smithi.

i think that brings the total thus far to 30!!

However, this Thursday i will be receiving one each of the following:

4” Brachypelma smithii
4” Brachypelma vagans
3.5” Ephebopus murinus
3.5” Grammostola aureostriata
5” Nhandu chromatus

Next week i will be receiving:

A MM OBT for my just molted female OBT

and... a really cute female A. avic with 4 A. avic slings.

Hmmm... i think that will bring me to a grand total of 41 since April 14th. :eek:

i would say that i am done but i still need to order my B. smithi slings from Ryan and will likely purchase 6 - 10 of the little boogers! Heck, i don't even have enough money left to buy Top Ramen!!

Alboy84

Arachnopeon
I started out with a B. Vagans, but within a week or two (of serious consideration and reading about T's) I got myself a L. Parahybana. I just have the two now, and it'll probably stay that way for some time.

neanyoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would say that i am done but i still need to order my B. smithi slings from Ryan and will likely purchase 6 - 10 of the little boogers!

i've always wondered, ..Why do you guys/girls buy a lot of the same slings ???

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Because slings have a habit of dying for no reason sometimes. So by buying 5 or so you increase our chance of having one that will survive to adulthood

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I got my first (C. cyan) and I think I waited 2 weeks until my second. Now I have more inverts than I can count.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got my first T with my bf at the time. A B. vagans sling, and exactly a week later i bought a G. aureostriata juvenile, and a week after bought a B. smithi spiderling, followed by 5 more from thespidershop.co.uk (P. ornata, P. pulcher, B. emilia, B. albopilosum and A. versicolor)... that was in October last year. Then i went to AES Newark and came back with 3 more! lol H. minax (adult female) and a P. cambridgei and a L. klugi spiderling. And its grown and grown since... i now have 32 spiders, 2 scorpions and 2 praying mantis. I have 2 more spiders in the post as we speak, (L. parahybana and a P. murinus) coming to me tomorrow morning, with 2 more following them :D (C. crawshayi and H. maculata) with some more coming next week :D I'm addicted lol

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got a sub-adult fem B, Smithi about a year ago. Although she was a pretty rock to look at she was a pet rock nonetheless. I was thinking about selling her... then she molted. That turned my whole head around. So about 4 months after getting the smithi i acquired a rosie, G aureostriata, and a B albo. Then it was a C fasciatum. A month after that it was N chromatus, N chromatovillosus, L parahybana, H incei (beautiful) and A anax.

I try to alternate between finding underpriced adult/sub-adults at local pet stores. (There are actually a couple here that treat their T's well.) and buying 4-5 at a time from an online dealer. I've got my eye on a nice 4" geniculata down the road. I'm gonna try and offer them $20 as they want $40 for the whole setup but i already have a decent KK for it.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For myself, i really want to raise a T up from a tiny sling and hope to have at least one female in the bunch - especially from a cool T like the B. smithi. Not for breeding purposes as much as knowing i will probably be lucky enough to have that T for a very long time since the female B. smithi have such an incredibly long life span. i'd most likely keep more than one female of the B. smithi if i were lucky enough to end up with more. However, for a lot of other T's i buy multiple slings of, i will probably sell off all extra T's once i know i have that one female.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i now have 32 spiders, 2 scorpions and 2 praying mantis. I have 2 more spiders in the post as we speak, (L. parahybana and a P. murinus) coming to me tomorrow morning, with 2 more following them :D (C. crawshayi and H. maculata) with some more coming next week :D I'm addicted lol
Yeah, and i don't remember having to sign any kind of release or something that informed me that i acknowledged how addictive of a problem this would be when i received my first T. They don't tell you when you buy your first and just one T that it is really a gateway T to many, many more T's...

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, and i don't remember having to sign any kind of release or something that informed me that i acknowledged how addictive of a problem this would be when i received my first T. They don't tell you when you buy your first and just one T that it is really a gateway T to many, many more T's...
heck, i heard some petstores are *giving* away the first one!

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
heck, i heard some petstores are *giving* away the first one!
i'm sure you're right. Those are the really bad, mean store owners/dealers. They know that by giving you your first one, they'll have a hooked customer for life!! i can just see myself now - scrapping together all my food and rent money, including loose change, and just begging the dealer for another... LOL